Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Crucial mx500 500gb $168.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 11:13 pm
28 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
SSD prices really went up. I picked up Crucial MX300 750GB for only $170, just 1.5 years ago. Really need time machine. :(
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
teoconca wrote: SSD prices really went up. I picked up Crucial MX300 750GB for only $170, just 1.5 years ago. Really need time machine. :(
Why the SSD prices are not decreasing / not following the Moore's law?

I got an mx200 for $170 two years ago. Granted there is some tech improvement in mx500 wrt mx200, but overall seems the same?
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
2448 posts
703 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote: Good price for a crucial. Add the extra warranty for $18.79 if you don't want to deal with shipping defective drives to crucial.
Why?
Have you or someone you know of had to do a rma on an ssd from them for this series of drive?
Not to confident in buying one if someone has since it's their newer model and not the bx or m series.

If so, where do they need to be sent in for them to ship you back a new drive if it is defective?

SSD failing are a nightmare. As I had one that was setup as a main drive and not the boot or os drive.Confused Face
Lost everything. :rolleyes: Silly me.
Nov 19, 2017
194 posts
205 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Why the SSD prices are not decreasing / not following the Moore's law?

I got an mx200 for $170 two years ago. Granted there is some tech improvement in mx500 wrt mx200, but overall seems the same?

Moore's law is dead, and has been for quite some time now.

We are hitting more limitations when it comes to shrinking nodes. The materials we are working with have physical limits, which means it gets harder to keep making smaller and smaller transistors.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6014 ... -now-what/
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
RickJamesWasRight wrote: Moore's law is dead, and has been for quite some time now.

We are hitting more limitations when it comes to shrinking nodes. The materials we are working with have physical limits, which means it gets harder to keep making smaller and smaller transistors.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6014 ... -now-what/
Well, there are certainly doubts about Moore'slaw validity as we hit an atomic scale,

but so far it was holding up? Was not it?

Cannot find the graph right now, but it seems it was still on up to last couple of years?
Jun 5, 2010
288 posts
188 upvotes
Ajax
Anyone getting a dead listing now?

Edit: Have to search for item manually and click (SEE x OTHER OFFERS) to see the list of vendors and order off of amazon.ca for some reason. Listing won't show up.
Last edited by polskon on Feb 10th, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 1, 2006
901 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
moofachuka wrote: 250gb is 103.99 not bad either.
If you click standard packaging you can get it for $99.99
RickJamesWasRight wrote: Anyone else not able to view the link?
polskon wrote: Anyone getting a dead listing now?
So many product pages are coming up blank for me. It started happening last night and seems worse today.
Jan 21, 2017
168 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Yeah something is buggered up at Amazon atm. Can search for it by ASIN but above link and ASIN result both lead to a black product page.
Jun 5, 2010
288 posts
188 upvotes
Ajax
The mx300's look significantly cheaper. What's the difference between mx300 and mx500? Which should I order for a windows boot drive?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2017
1585 posts
2129 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon has been acting up since this morning
Nov 19, 2017
194 posts
205 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Well, there are certainly doubts about Moore'slaw validity as we hit an atomic scale,

but so far it was holding up? Was not it?

Cannot find the graph right now, but it seems it was still on up to last couple of years?

The link I posted is from MIT. Their view is that no longer applies. Several tech CEO's have said the same, like nVidia's.

Nothing is really double every 18 months like Moore's law predicts. CPU transistors haven't been, same with CPU speeds, CPU cores, CPU performance, RAM speeds, RAM capacity, HDD/SSD size none are doubling every 18 months Moore's Law predicts anymore.

Unfortunately, the only things that have double in the last 18 months are GPU, RAM, and SSD prices.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
RickJamesWasRight wrote: The link I posted is from MIT. Their view is that no longer applies. Several tech CEO's have said the same, like nVidia's.

Nothing is really double every 18 months like Moore's law predicts. CPU transistors haven't been, same with CPU speeds, CPU cores, CPU performance, RAM speeds, RAM capacity, HDD/SSD size none are doubling every 18 months Moore's Law predicts anymore.

Unfortunately, the only things that have double in the last 18 months are GPU, RAM, and SSD prices.
Strickly speaking, Moore's law only implies a mathematically "exponential" growth (it can double in 18 months or in 12 or in 20).
But I share your doubt. Moore's law should be verified now once again... Unfortunately the verification itself would take a few years,
so nothing is completely certain as we speak.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
Damn Amazon still broken. I was about to order 2x 500gb drives
Mar 15, 2017
374 posts
144 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote: Damn Amazon still broken. I was about to order 2x 500gb drives
Mobile app works fine still, was able to checkout
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
polskon wrote: The mx300's look significantly cheaper. What's the difference between mx300 and mx500? Which should I order for a windows boot drive?
I had the same question. I ended up getting the mx500 500gb and put it in my 2009 MBP. Magicdisk shows a reD and write speak of about 210/250 vs my 1TB hdd which has about 100/110. Granted it’s twice as more but I expected it to be a lot higher. Wonder if the mx300 would be better

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)