Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Cyberpowerpc Tracer III Laptop (15.6, 8750h, GTX 1060, 16gb ram, 500 M.2 NVME, 15.6) $1289

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2018 10:04 pm
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec

[Amazon.ca] Cyberpowerpc Tracer III Laptop (15.6, 8750h, GTX 1060, 16gb ram, 500 M.2 NVME, 15.6) $1289

This has had a huge price drop that I noticed (I ordered mine 4 days ago and it's coming today or tomorrow).

Usually compatible laptops start at a price of 1600 or more where this can be had for 1290. Strangely if you selection on amazon 8gb ram or 16gb/1TB space then price goes up a ton, so it's possible they are clearing out this particular SKU as you can no longer buy it from their website directly (only the SLIM version).

The one caveat is that it has a 60hz IPS screen, but you can upgrade it yourself by ordering an IPS 120/144hz panel and replacing it (this has thick bezels allowing easy swaps).

Laptop review link

Video review
Last edited by clerick on Oct 15th, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
91 replies
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
This is an i7 8750h, not an i5.
Apr 2, 2013
998 posts
1213 upvotes
Barrie
Generally, while being priced well, CyperPower PC laptops have poor customer service and cheap components. Was considering one for the wife as an introductory gaming PC but the plastic housing is known to be fragile. They are also unable to fix cosmetic defects as they outsource a lot of their chassis to different manufacturers. So while the components are fantastic for the price, you get what you pay for as this is a noticeably cheaply-built laptop. Price is definitely fantastic though!
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
TheGuard wrote: Generally, while being priced well, CyperPower PC laptops have poor customer service and cheap components. Was considering one for the wife as an introductory gaming PC but the plastic housing is known to be fragile. They are also unable to fix cosmetic defects as they outsource a lot of their chassis to different manufacturers. So while the components are fantastic for the price, you get what you pay for as this is a noticeably cheaply-built laptop. Price is definitely fantastic though!
Yeah it's a reworked TongFang. I'll let you know how it turns out for me. The one important thing at least from the review is that while the cpu/gpu has some kind of dynamic thing where it runs lower clock, it manages to outscore similar laptops because the temps are much lower on load (example 83c load vs 90+ on the others). The thermal vents are on the back AND on the side (and the pipes run there).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1374 posts
1746 upvotes
Quebec
Damn that's a good price for an 8th gen gaming laptop.
It's pretty much on par with the price I paid for my similarly specced 7th gen GE62VR-7RF last year.

The biggest reasons for the price seem to be the 60Hz screen and all plastic chassis.
From the pictures, fans and cooling assembly are not easily accessible for cleaning but the other parts are easily accessible

This is the best review I could find.
https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/mobil ... op-review/

Review conclusion:
There are of course compromises to get that level of hardware in a machine this cheap – the panel is only 60Hz, for instance, while the laptop’s body is made of plastic. On top of that, there are other annoyances – like the small trackpad and unimpressive Gaming Center software – which further hold this machine back.

That being said, you are getting huge bang-for-your-buck with the Tracer III. You will have to be content with gaming at 60Hz, but for many people that won’t be a problem. The mechanical keyboard, too, is a fantastic addition at this price point, even if the software required to use it is not overly polished.

On the whole, the Tracer III definitely comes recommended. If you have significantly more cash to blow on a laptop, you can find slimmer and more refined machines available. However, the fact of the matter is the Tracer III is bringing a 6-core CPU, with tried-and-trusted GTX 1060 graphics alongside, down to a much lower price point than we have seen previously. For that, it should be commended.
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
kowell wrote: Damn that's a good price for an 8th gen gaming laptop.
It's pretty much on par with the price I paid for my similarly specced 7th gen GE62VR-7RF last year.

The biggest reasons for the price seem to be the 60Hz screen and all plastic chassis.
From the pictures, fans and cooling assembly are not easily accessible for cleaning but the other parts are easily accessible

This is the best review I could find.
https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/mobil ... op-review/

Review conclusion:
There are of course compromises to get that level of hardware in a machine this cheap – the panel is only 60Hz, for instance, while the laptop’s body is made of plastic. On top of that, there are other annoyances – like the small trackpad and unimpressive Gaming Center software – which further hold this machine back.

That being said, you are getting huge bang-for-your-buck with the Tracer III. You will have to be content with gaming at 60Hz, but for many people that won’t be a problem. The mechanical keyboard, too, is a fantastic addition at this price point, even if the software required to use it is not overly polished.

On the whole, the Tracer III definitely comes recommended. If you have significantly more cash to blow on a laptop, you can find slimmer and more refined machines available. However, the fact of the matter is the Tracer III is bringing a 6-core CPU, with tried-and-trusted GTX 1060 graphics alongside, down to a much lower price point than we have seen previously. For that, it should be commended.
I'm not really sure if that's the reason (as if you pick the 8GB with less space the price goes up to 1600, and 16gb and 1tb space price almost doubles). Can't really say why it's as low as it is for that particular setup, but spec wise it's worth to get imo (and the 60hz is upgradable if you take the screen panel off and replace it with say a N156HHE-GA1 REV.C3 or auo42ed).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7801 posts
3860 upvotes
Germany
Lots of bang for the buck, but wow that chassis is ugly. One positive is that the chassis is held together with traditional screws, so it should be user serviceable for maintenance and upgrades. I'm amazed it's that heavy (~6 lbs) with a plastic chassis, but such is life.

Edit: Apparently lots of complaints about Cyberpowerpc with their warranty and customer support at the BBB. Buy with caution.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ow.815739/
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2012
1436 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
too bad no display port to take advantage of G-sync on a compatible display.
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
unshavenyak wrote: Lots of bang for the buck, but wow that chassis is ugly. One positive is that the chassis is held together with traditional screws, so it should be user serviceable for maintenance and upgrades. I'm amazed it's that heavy (~6 lbs) with a plastic chassis, but such is life.

Edit: Apparently lots of complaints about Cyberpowerpc with their warranty and customer support at the BBB. Buy with caution.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ow.815739/
Good caution (albeit in the thread the guy killed his laptop with liquid metal and then was trying to get it replaced).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7664 posts
10948 upvotes
Scarbs
My first and last cyberpowerpc lasted only a year before the chassis started falling apart. Granted this was 5 years ago, and hopefully their quality has improved.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7801 posts
3860 upvotes
Germany
clerick wrote: Good caution (albeit in the thread the guy killed his laptop with liquid metal and then was trying to get it replaced).
Yeah, I took his post with a grain of salt and went to the BBB link. Also, OP should add the video review to his original post as it provides some useful insight:

Other things to consider:

-Great port selection and availability
-Plastic chassis, but little flex
-Quality control issues (reviewer had repeating keys due to bios issues)
-Crashes in Far Cry 5 due to included software
-No Optimus, so 4 hours max battery life
-Tiny recessed trackpad
-Replaceable battery
-Chassis has a spare slot for another SSD
-Great thermal control
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
unshavenyak wrote: Yeah, I took his post with a grain of salt and went to the BBB link. Also, OP should add the video review to his original post as it provides some useful insight:

Other things to consider:

-Great port selection and availability
-Plastic chassis, but little flex
-Quality control issues (reviewer had repeating keys due to bios issues)
-Crashes in Far Cry 5 due to included software
-No Optimus, so 4 hours max battery life
-Tiny recessed trackpad
-Replaceable battery
-Chassis has a spare slot for another SSD
-Great thermal control
Good call, amended.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7801 posts
3860 upvotes
Germany
clerick wrote: Good call, amended.
Let us know how it goes. Despite the issues, it's a really interesting laptop. I might pull the trigger if I can find information on the colour gamut for the display.
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
unshavenyak wrote: Let us know how it goes. Despite the issues, it's a really interesting laptop. I might pull the trigger if I can find information on the colour gamut for the display.
The enter key and FC5 crashes were fixed with updated bios/newer software, so thankfully there is a fix. Here's another review that mentions the screen:

https://www.hardwareheaven.com/2018/09/ ... 15-review/
(note the SSD in the laptop for sale in this thread is a Samsung one and nvme).

Screen details:
IPS/60hz/330 nits of brightness/825:1 contrast/ 58.8% sRGB
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1374 posts
1746 upvotes
Quebec
unshavenyak wrote: For those willing to pay $200 more, there's a slim version that seems to have rectified a lot of the design issues and has a 1 GB SSD instead of 500 GB. It also has DisplayPort for G-Sync.

https://www.amazon.ca/CYBERPOWERPC-TSVR ... T6LVS?th=1
I wonder if the slim version has a noticeable difference in heat management. A lot of manufacturers have had some problems with this when using regular version of the GTX family (before Max-Q versions).

4 hours of battery as a con is definitly nitpicking.... I still consider 4 hours out of a gaming machine to be incredible.

Definitly a lot of good things about this machine, the bang-for-the-buck is amazing. Some issues with reliability and chassis quality and you have to make sure to update everything to the latest version. Less plug-and-play than some people might be used to. Kinda reminds me of older MSI machines circa 2010. Needed some light work on it but the bang-for-the-buck was great if you could do it.

Also... 200$ to drop from 500Gb to only 1Gb SSD... sign me up right now! Still not sure how they manage to install windows on it though.... ;)
Last edited by kowell on Oct 15th, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7801 posts
3860 upvotes
Germany
clerick wrote: The enter key and FC5 crashes were fixed with updated bios/newer software, so thankfully there is a fix. Here's another review that mentions the screen:

https://www.hardwareheaven.com/2018/09/ ... 15-review/
(note the SSD in the laptop for sale in this thread is a Samsung one and nvme).

Screen details:
IPS/60hz/330 nits of brightness/825:1 contrast/ 58.8% sRGB
Yikes. 58.8% sRGB. I guess I'm going to have to pony up for a top of the line XPS or Macbook :(.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)