Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] DEAD New Microsoft Surface Headphones $344.92 (23% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 3:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1374 posts
1879 upvotes
ChunkAhoy wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 9:21 pm
I dont see Microsoft as a company that must have invested lots of time and resource in developping good sound... i think they’re more the kind of company to have sandwiched a couple of existing cool technologies in a fancy looking package and sell it at a premium price.
I'm no audiophile and only follow headphones casually, but my impression is that "good sound" is relatively easy to achieve nowadays. Bose, Sony, B&O, Sennheiser, Microsoft, Beats, Bowers & Wilkins, AudioTechnica, etc. Nearly all headphones from these mid-to-highend makers have very good sound nowadays (as they should because you're paying a premium price!). There's big differences in the sound profile between these companies, but a lot of that will be subjective. Some people love the bass-heavy Beats. Nothing wrong with that.

Noise cancelling is more objective and these Microsoft headphones, from reviews I've read/watched, are in the same ballpark as the Bose, which is below the class-leading Sonys. However, build quality, comfort, design, and controls have scored quite high. Battery life is not as good as the Sonys.

So I wouldn't discount these just because they're Microsoft's first attempt. If you're in the market for headphones in this price range, these are worth trying on.
Feb 4, 2019
134 posts
136 upvotes
For people thinking of buying the Sony WH1000XM3's, you should know that they have an issue with the touch controls registering phantom touches when it goes below 0. I was going to upgrade from my 1000XM1's until I heard about the issue and now I'm waiting to see if Sony can fix it with a firmware update.

It's such an odd thing too since I've shoveled in my M1's in -20 weather with no issues.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
62 posts
139 upvotes
AGTOM83 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 4:43 am
For people thinking of buying the Sony WH1000XM3's, you should know that they have an issue with the touch controls registering phantom touches when it goes below 0. I was going to upgrade from my 1000XM1's until I heard about the issue and now I'm waiting to see if Sony can fix it with a firmware update.

It's such an odd thing too since I've shoveled in my M1's in -20 weather with no issues.
THis was confirmed, and the weird thing is that the MX2 don't have this issue. The guys from rtings.com are from montreal, and they tested them outside, and they don't work at all. This leaves me with the option of Bose quietcomfort ii and the surface headphones. With the 23% savings, this was a no brainer for me.
I don't understand the hate on these. 23% off a brand new product not even released is almost unheard off in my books.
Mar 14, 2011
256 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
rtings did a decent review roundup as well and I think the problem reviewers have is trying to set clear winners and losers like in the ltt review. When you get into the details on all of these the only reason the surface gets trashed is because it's just not "as good" not that it isn't good which can be hard to keep in mind. The three contenders here all have something they do better than the other but all hit that 80-90% in other areas. These headphones are still too expensive btw but good deal none the less.
Sep 3, 2008
184 posts
7 upvotes
I played around with one at the Microsoft store. I also tried the Bose and Sony at Best Buy. I didn't like the noise cancelling on the surface device, it was nowhere as good as the other two.

I really did like the knob controls for volume and anc. I'm not an audiophile so I probably would be fine with this headset. I really think the price point has to be below the other two. It doesn't compete. However it's really not a bad option.
Sep 28, 2010
71 posts
44 upvotes
southern Ontario
Thank you, OP. Not sure if was a pricing error or not, but Amazon has shipped these out to me today and I saved almost $120 after tax.

Great headphones (MKBHD approved!) at an amazing price.