Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

DeWALT DCF885B 20V MAX Li-Ion Cordless 1/4-inch Impact Driver (Tool Only) - $89.99 (No GST/HST + Free Shipping)

Jul 3, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] DeWALT DCF885B 20V MAX Li-Ion Cordless 1/4-inch Impact Driver (Tool Only) - $89.99 (No GST/HST + Free Shipping)

Amazon currently has the DeWALT DCF885B 20V MAX Li-Ion Cordless 1/4-inch Impact Driver - Bare Tool for $89.99. Its via a 3rd Party Seller (Products Paradise) - but I've bought from them before and their feedback is great and they have their inventory being handled by Amazon - which means they ship with PRIME in 2-days. We usually buy our tools from sellers on eBay Canada, but couldn't find it for a comparable price. Best of all: NO GST or HST!!

One thing to note: the impact comes in what is called "bulk packaging". Basically most eBay sellers and 3rd party Amazon sellers ship this way. They don't provide retail packaging, so they pack the tools in a cardboard box with the manual. We got ours in yesterday, and we confirmed with DeWALT (using the serial numbers) that the tool was manufactured earlier this year and isn't a refurb. Therefore I thought I'd share it here.

If you find a better price, please let me know lol.

EDIT: Price is now down to $89.99!
Last edited by mikeemp on Jul 20th, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Jul 3, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes
patrickkc wrote: Wouldn't the BCF 887B better for only $8 more? It's brushless

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCF887B-Br ... 20&sr=1-25
Yes, and no. Costs aside ($8 + TAX), there is a big difference between the actual performance of a brushed drill vs a brushless drill - which depends on the batteries. Tool manufacturers know this, which is why their brushless tools generally come with the bigger high demand batteries. See Milwaukee for example. Almost all their brushless FUEL tools come with the 5.0AH batteries. The variable brushless motors require the higher capacity batteries.

Most people out there have the 1.5AH (DCB201) or the 2.0AH (DCB203) batteries, which make the actual performance between the two drills negligible. If you do have the bigger 5.0AH (DCB205) batteries, then yes, the DCF887 is a better option in the long term.

Edit: I do want to add I guess it depends on the application. In the past, our company has bought the brushless impact and even the brushless drill (DCD777) , but for some reason it didn't last as long as the brushed counterpart. We found our DCB203 batteries discharged much quicker. But obviously, everyone uses their tools for different purposes, so what I've said above might not apply to you at all.
May 10, 2016
672 posts
1204 upvotes
mikeemp wrote: Yes, and no. Costs aside ($8 + TAX), there is a big difference between the actual performance of a brushed drill vs a brushless drill - which depends on the batteries. Tool manufacturers know this, which is why their brushless tools generally come with the bigger high demand batteries. See Milwaukee for example. Almost all their brushless FUEL tools come with the 5.0AH batteries. The variable brushless motors require the higher capacity batteries.

Most people out there have the 1.5AH (DCB201) or the 2.0AH (DCB203) batteries, which make the actual performance between the two drills negligible. If you do have the bigger 5.0AH (DCB205) batteries, then yes, the DCF887 is a better option in the long term.
Do you have a source for that? I've never heard that before and I can't find anything online that says that.

My understanding was that, with the same battery, a brushless tool will get more power and longer runtime than a brushed version. Bigger batteries will also give you more power on many of the higher draw tools (eg. circular saw, grinder, leaf blower) but they're not required to get the advantages of brushless tools. Brushless tools often come with the larger batteries because they're marketed to professionals who need more power and longer runtime, while the smaller batteries are marketed towards weekend warriors who are more focused on price.
Jul 3, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes
Solarisphere wrote: Do you have a source for that? I've never heard that before and I can't find anything online that says that.

My understanding was that, with the same battery, a brushless tool will get more power and longer runtime than a brushed version. Bigger batteries will also give you more power on many of the higher draw tools (eg. circular saw, grinder, leaf blower) but they're not required to get the advantages of brushless tools. Brushless tools often come with the larger batteries because they're marketed to professionals who need more power and longer runtime, while the smaller batteries are marketed towards weekend warriors who are more focused on price.
Sorry, no sources to back it up, just what our experiences have been when we used the precious DCF886, the new DCF887, and the DCD777 tools with our existing DCB203 batteries.

But yes, the price of the DCF887 posted by the two posters above is a heck of a price for a brushless impact.
Aug 23, 2001
519 posts
709 upvotes
NS
Solarisphere wrote: Do you have a source for that? I've never heard that before and I can't find anything online that says that.

I second that as misinformation. Brushless = more efficient. For a given load (work task), any capacity battery will last longer versus in a brushed drill.
Your observation that brushless drills come with higher capacity batteries is probably the manufacturer marketing the drills to professionals who might prefer longer run times before switching batteries.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1290 posts
720 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I always thought brushless was better and battery should last longer with more power.

Not trying to derail the thread, but would anybody know what's the best price for the DCK287D2 combo ? price dropped to $299 at HD, but wondering what I could be expecting for deals regarding this kit.
Jul 3, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes
Interesting. I wonder what we are doing wrong which makes our experiences be contrary to the norm. Thanks for the info. Perhaps we got a few early models that weren't refined (this was about 2 years ago or so).
May 10, 2016
672 posts
1204 upvotes
patrickkc wrote: I always thought brushless was better and battery should last longer with more power.

Not trying to derail the thread, but would anybody know what's the best price for the DCK287D2 combo ? price dropped to $299 at HD, but wondering what I could be expecting for deals regarding this kit.
Camels shows the lowest Amazon price at $237 in April of this year and it's been almost flat at $299 since then.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
Brushless motors do not draw more power - in fact, designed and bulit correctly, their power requirements tend to be less than brushed motors. The reason why manufacturers tend to package their brushless line with larger batteries is because brushless tools are more expensive to manufacture so they are priced accordingly and aimed at a market that is willing to pay for higher performance - hence, those buyers will likely know the difference between a 2 ah battery and a 5ah one. I have had a brushless Makita XPH07TB for a year and done some large/demanding projects with it. It came equipped with two 5.0 ah batteries and I have yet to deplete a battery on any project - including ones where I drove 2" screws into hardwood (piloted holes, of course...)

edit: I should add that I own old style brushed-motor drills as well and they do a decent job. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a brushed motor and, in fact, the electronics in them might last long. The problem with a lot of cheap drills is that their internals are designed to be light and energy efficient and not as durable. It's why I use the Makita for the bigger jobs.
Jul 3, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote: I see 89.99, even better :)
Thanks! Was able to contact the seller and get a partial refund :)
Jul 18, 2017
210 posts
165 upvotes
Is it worth getting this without a battery and charger?

I'd need to order battery and charger separately...