Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Dunkirk (4K ultra HD) $25.02 (52% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 9:40 am
Dec 28, 2006
583 posts
109 upvotes
WiredRacing wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:40 pm
There are in-depth comparisons of 4K UHD Blu-Ray vs AppleTV 4K streams online that indicate it's difficult to discern any noticeable difference from a proper viewing distance. Considering this movie is on for half this price via AppleTV, in Dolby Vision via the AppleTV and this is not a Dolby Atmos release on Blu-Ray... I bought it for $12.99 via Apple (actually less considering all the iTunes cards I bought at 20% off). Basically the discs are for people with poor internet connections and or purists.

That said, I can't recall if Dunkirk changes aspect ratios like several of Nolan's other movies. If so, the ATV streams do not and that becomes a much larger reason to own the disc version... which is why I didn't buy the Dark Knight Collection when it was $29.99 the other week.
Forgive my ignorance, but what are all the ways to play a movie file that has 4K HDR/Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos without an AppleTV box on my 4K HDR Smart TV?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2723 posts
77 upvotes
Hoping blade runner 2049 follows similar pricing.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Apr 24, 2014
198 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone, this movie is NOT 52% off. I buy movies (4k and 3d included) very often and watch prices on them.

4k movies are going up in price, but they always start out high, like 36$+ and they go on "sale" at most places for 32$ or 29$ pretty much on release. The normal price for a 4k is 29$-32$. Anything below that is considered a "sale".

So yes, this is a good deal, you are saving 5$ or so. But not a 52% off good deal.

Please be careful and keep that in mind.
Apr 17, 2008
31 posts
2 upvotes
The movie is so boring so you can concentrate on the image quality even more.
Soldiers lining up so nicely while aircraft dropping bombs on them is a plus.
Oct 24, 2009
174 posts
152 upvotes
Brighton, Ontario
WiredRacing wrote:
There are in-depth comparisons of 4K UHD Blu-Ray vs AppleTV 4K streams online that indicate it's difficult to discern any noticeable difference from a proper viewing distance. Considering this movie is on for half this price via AppleTV, in Dolby Vision via the AppleTV and this is not a Dolby Atmos release on Blu-Ray... I bought it for $12.99 via Apple (actually less considering all the iTunes cards I bought at 20% off). Basically the discs are for people with poor internet connections and or purists.
I find this claim highly suspect. Please provide links to your "in-depth comparisons".
Jun 29, 2015
263 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WiredRacing wrote:

That said, I can't recall if Dunkirk changes aspect ratios like several of Nolan's other movies. If so, the ATV streams do not and that becomes a much larger reason to own the disc version... which is why I didn't buy the Dark Knight Collection when it was $29.99 the other week.
As someone who is not a fan of changing aspect ratios on home theatre setups (much too noticeable, distracts me from the film) I am now very disappointed I didn't jump on the Dark Knight trilogy on iTunes
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4621 posts
2249 upvotes
Mississauga
harrypotter222 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:36 am
Disagree. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Tension + visuals + soundtrack but to each their own! Some of my friends got bored.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5875 posts
2500 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Andrew765 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:36 pm
$13 on iTunes right now also.
That's not the same quality as a 4K Blu-Ray disc.
It's more like 4K Lite. Winking Face
Jan 25, 2007
270 posts
66 upvotes
Thanks OP! PM'd Best Buy and it looks sweet on my 65" OLED. I actually like it better than when I saw it in IMAX.
Dec 10, 2003
200 posts
68 upvotes
I watch Vincent Teoh from the youtube chanel HDTVTest do the comparison between Apple 4k HDR vs 4k HDR on disc. He's a professional calibrator and TV reviewer and his conclusion is that the disc is slightly better but not by much. His test was very thorough, paused and pixel peeped, played dark scenes and bright scenes. Multiple movies.

Back on Topic, I haven't seen the movie yet but I don't have a 4k blu ray player! Otherwise I would get it along with the Planet Earth 2. All for the sake of pleasuring my eyes.
Mar 10, 2012
187 posts
115 upvotes
THORNHILL
WiredRacing wrote:
Basically the discs are for people with poor internet connections and or purists.
Audio is a huge portion of the movie experience. What's Apple streaming for audio these days? Is it DVD-era (Dolby Digital) like Netflix?

Streaming audio is generally far, far inferior to the uncompressed tracks on blu-ray and 4K blu-ray. Sometimes a disc will default to the DD track, and when you realize why the disc sounds so bad and switch it to the uncompressed track, it's amazing how much the sound stage opens up.
Aug 27, 2017
32 posts
10 upvotes
The markup on these is just insane... they’re charging each disc at least $10 more compared to blurays just for the added cost of mastering in 4K jeez

Edit: I guess dual layer or whatever disc format they’re burned on also costs more. Cost of filming in 4K I’m ignoring cause lots of 4K discs were shot on 2K master anyway, so clearly lots of studios don’t even bother and are content upscaling 2K and call it 4K
Jan 12, 2010
611 posts
76 upvotes
downwardCorgi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
The markup on these is just insane... they’re charging each disc at least $10 more compared to blurays just for the added cost of mastering in 4K jeez

Edit: I guess dual layer or whatever disc format they’re burned on also costs more. Cost of filming in 4K I’m ignoring cause lots of 4K discs were shot on 2K master anyway, so clearly lots of studios don’t even bother and are content upscaling 2K and call it 4K
I agree, a lot of 4k Bluray movies are shot in 2k and remastered into 4k. Buyer beware, even for newer movies like American Made and Mother! is all shot in 2k. Movies like the Nolan Collection (Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, Inception) is shot with 45mm 4K cameras.
Apr 20, 2017
54 posts
33 upvotes
harrypotter222 wrote:
Boring? It's a visual masterpiece. Go see it in 70mm IMAX for the best experience.
May 30, 2013
149 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
harrypotter222 wrote:
Yes, everyone said it is a great movie, but I found it very boring too.