Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Dunkirk (4K ultra HD) $25.02 (52% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 9:40 am
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2210 posts
260 upvotes
ncr
foz240 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:59 pm
Boring? It's a visual masterpiece. Go see it in 70mm IMAX for the best experience.
His "boring" is concerning the plots and story lines. Your visual masterpiece is on picture quality. It can be both, you know.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2210 posts
260 upvotes
ncr
ssb24 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:04 pm
This 4k disc's video quality is right up there with Planet Earth 2, and likely the best for a movie (so far).
That's a huge claim :) are you sure the PQ is as stunning?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11062 posts
1560 upvotes
RFD
chanc2 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:09 pm
Yes, everyone said it is a great movie, but I found it very boring too.
You probably don't like slow pace movies like old Westerns Face With Tears Of Joy
Apr 20, 2017
65 posts
40 upvotes
s1301950 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:10 pm
His "boring" is concerning the plots and story lines. Your visual masterpiece is on picture quality. It can be both, you know.
Fair enough - the story is fairly simple. I just found that the visuals were jaw dropping which makes it hard to believe people found it 'boring'.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1379 posts
305 upvotes
The entire movie has a soundtrack. It was an okay story, but nothing special.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6635 posts
1618 upvotes
For 4K UHD reviews for aspects such as image and sound quality this website is useful:
https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html

Planet Earth 2 is boring from what I watched of it so far. Visually it is impressive but at its core it is still a Discovery Channel type of documentary
with little reason to watch it more than once. I am half way through the 3 disc set for Planet Earth 2.
ssb24 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:04 pm
This 4k disc's video quality is right up there with Planet Earth 2, and likely the best for a movie (so far).
Out of my current 4K UHD collection I would recommend:

The Dark Knight Trilogy
The Prestige (image quality is improved over the blu-ray version but not as crisp or pristine as the other 4K Nolan releases)
Spider-Man Trilogy
The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 (I watched these it on netflix first but liked it in 4K UHD a lot more on a second viewing)

Borderline recommend:

Spider-man Homecoming
Wonderwoman
Dunkirk (great image and sound quality, but not really re-watchable)
Planet Earth 2 (same as above)

Ones I have not watched yet:

Inception
Interstellar (I watched this on blu-ray before, but like Dunkirk, I think it is one of Nolan's least re-watchable movies, therefore I have not gotten around to watching this one yet).
Blade Runner (I never watched the original movie before, this one is on hold until I watch Blade Runner 2049 first).
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 11th, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4601 posts
663 upvotes
foz240 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:25 pm
Fair enough - the story is fairly simple. I just found that the visuals were jaw dropping which makes it hard to believe people found it 'boring'.
The film is technically brilliant, but the non linear storytelling has some issues, and some characters aren't very engaging (the Cilian Murphy character was a miss IMHO). Not to mention the historical inaccuracies (too "clean", not enough chaos), although part of that is due to time/budget constraints. Check out "atonement movie dunkirk scene" on YouTube for comparison.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1334 posts
305 upvotes
Calgary
Was willing to buy at this price since it is new. Now I have 5/7 of the nolan collection for my self made collection with all correct discs and also digital copies Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1471 posts
828 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
Dunkirk is an amazing movie. It is not for those who require action at every minute to stay intrigued. War is not explosions and gunfighting at every minute. Like other Christopher Nolan movies, if you appreciate the use of a very complexly structured plot and intricate details, you will enjoy the movie.
Sep 13, 2009
67 posts
10 upvotes
s1301950 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:17 pm
That's a huge claim :) are you sure the PQ is as stunning?
From what I've seen on my OLED, the video quality is among the best. But don't take my word for it, check out online reviews. Entertainment-wise there are better WWII movies.
Dec 27, 2011
87 posts
10 upvotes
Gloucester
WiredRacing wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:40 pm
There are in-depth comparisons of 4K UHD Blu-Ray vs AppleTV 4K streams online that indicate it's difficult to discern any noticeable difference from a proper viewing distance. Considering this movie is on for half this price via AppleTV, in Dolby Vision via the AppleTV and this is not a Dolby Atmos release on Blu-Ray... I bought it for $12.99 via Apple (actually less considering all the iTunes cards I bought at 20% off). Basically the discs are for people with poor internet connections and or purists.

That said, I can't recall if Dunkirk changes aspect ratios like several of Nolan's other movies. If so, the ATV streams do not and that becomes a much larger reason to own the disc version... which is why I didn't buy the Dark Knight Collection when it was $29.99 the other week.
It seems to change every 5 minutes! sometimes for 30 second shots then back to a diff aspect, it is annoying as hell! I specifically bought a projector that could properly zoom into 2:35.1. For a movie like this one (And most Nolan movies!) I find the constant change, especially on a big screen just takes you out of the movie experience, shame as Interstellar is one of my top movies. All that said, Dunkirk still looks amazing in 4k but am quite disappointed it does not have Dolby Atmos or DTS X. Though I did just discover today that some non 4k blu rays actually have atmos. Time to re watch Fifth element!
Mar 17, 2015
141 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:20 pm

Planet Earth 2 is boring from what I watched of it so far. Visually it is impressive but at its core it is still a Discovery Channel type of documentary
with little reason to watch it more than once. I am half way through the 3 disc set for Planet Earth 2.
No way!
To be fair, it all comes down to what you are interested in. Personally I can't get enough of the BBC Nature series. Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, Africa: I LOVE that stuff. No other nature series can compare when it comes to unique/rare captures, and production.
It is THE benchmark for nature footage.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1954 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Mine arrived today, looking forward to trying it out over the weekend as this should be stunning visually.