• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2019 12:30 am
Nov 8, 2012
210 posts
247 upvotes
TORONTO
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 12:49 pm
Yes, when I set up my phone as a hot spot.
It's discrete, to put on window visor. Then I can easily retrofit my Beemer and easily control stuff.
konsensei wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:00 pm
What stuff in your car are you talking about? Like Spotify and "Alexa, what's the weather like?"
Well I wish it could just be used to shut the brats in the backseat down for a full minute...
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1069 posts
902 upvotes
VANCOUVER
konsensei wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 12:44 pm
you got internet in your car?
...most people have internet in their pockets. Just need to tether to your phone.

But anyways Amazon makes the echo auto specifically for this: https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo ... B0753K4CWG

The echo input doesn't really make sense to me at this price. especially since the dot has been $25 in the past. I would just wait for the next dot sale.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8676 posts
1691 upvotes
Montreal, QC
There's a Echo auto, not available in Canada yet.

But at that price, better get an older/used Echo Dot...the input have a single LED vs light ring visible all around.
Also, nice to be able to have voice responses on the Echo and only send audio playback via BT
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1773 posts
280 upvotes
Hamilton
konsensei wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:00 pm
What stuff in your car are you talking about? Like Spotify and "Alexa, what's the weather like?"
Yup...ask it things like any echo.
Or control my smart stuff, ie: set house temperature, turn on my driveway light, front door light.
I know can be had cheaper, but smaller discrete size is what I'm after,
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6364 posts
4871 upvotes
North York
maniac2403 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:07 pm
Well I wish it could just be used to shut the brats in the backseat down for a full minute...
LOL. i found tablets with some downloaded netflix work. If alexa were in the car, my daughter would be alexa this alexa that every few seconds
goozy1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:12 pm
...most people have internet in their pockets. Just need to tether to your phone.

But anyways Amazon makes the echo auto specifically for this: https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo ... B0753K4CWG

The echo input doesn't really make sense to me at this price. especially since the dot has been $25 in the past. I would just wait for the next dot sale.
all of which can be done with your phone's ok google or siri
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6104 posts
1211 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
goozy1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:12 pm

From the Amazon website,
Available exclusively by invitation
Good luck getting them in Canada if they are by invitation only in the US.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6364 posts
4871 upvotes
North York
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:20 pm
Yup...ask it things like any echo.
Or control my smart stuff, ie: set house temperature, turn on my driveway light, front door light.
I know can be had cheaper, but smaller discrete size is what I'm after,
i already use my phone's "ok google" for those purposes, and in fact, you can use alexa app for the same purposes without buying an extra attachment in the car

This is cumbersome:
- you would be turning on and off tethering
- your car would be in auxiliary mode at ALL TIME
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1773 posts
280 upvotes
Hamilton
konsensei wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:25 pm
i already use my phone's "ok google" for those purposes.

This is cumbersome:
- you would be turning on and off tethering
- your car would be in auxiliary mode at ALL TIME
Fir me to use Google I would have to hook up audio cable to phone, whereas this setup is permanent and no unplugging cables from phone.. I'm sure I can make a easy macro type thingy to set tethering easy, once I'm in car
Plus I'd rather use Alexa in car than Google.
My 12v accessory is only on when car is on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6364 posts
4871 upvotes
North York
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:31 pm
Fir me to use Google I would have to hook up audio cable to phone, whereas this setup is permanent and no unplugging cables from phone.. I'm sure I can make a easy macro type thingy to set tethering easy, once I'm in car
Plus I'd rather use Alexa in car than Google.
My 12v accessory is only on when car is on.
no bluetooth for your beemer? and there's Alexa app as well
my mazda 2010 bought in 2009 has bluetooth
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1773 posts
280 upvotes
Hamilton
konsensei wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:33 pm
My Bluetooth only does calls , no audio.
I can get Bluetooth transmitter to go-to radio, but it's volume is way lessoned and I wanna pump those 11 speakers. Lol
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1773 posts
280 upvotes
Hamilton
konsensei wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:33 pm
If I have stereo blastung, Alexa is hardly going to hear me barking at the phone. This thing on the window visor it's gonna pick up my voice with the stereo cranked and especially with convertible top down
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6364 posts
4871 upvotes
North York
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:36 pm
I can get Bluetooth transmitter to go-to radio, but it's volume is way lessoned and I wanna pump those 11 speakers. Lol
damn beemers
Feb 19, 2009
181 posts
36 upvotes
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:36 pm
What year's your Bimmer? You could easily code it with Bimmercode to enable bluetooth audio provided you have a F or G series. You'll also need a obdii adapter like these ones http://bimmercodeapp.com/adapters/ . If you have a E series, then you'll need a laptop running windows with an bunch of software (and tons of youtube tutorials) and a e-net cable and pray 100x it doesn't brick your car
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1773 posts
280 upvotes
Hamilton
Nelson Muntz wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 2:29 pm
What year's your Bimmer? You could easily code it with Bimmercode to enable bluetooth audio provided you have a F or G series. You'll also need a obdii adapter like these ones http://bimmercodeapp.com/adapters/ . If you have a E series, then you'll need a laptop running windows with an bunch of software (and tons of youtube tutorials) and a e-net cable and pray 100x it doesn't brick your car
It's a e93 08 and the module is not worth it, with this being 30 and direct line in, as Bluetooth kills max volume
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3958 posts
1411 upvotes
Global Village
Logical move from Amazon, allows them to hit the $19.99 promo price when they want to. Nevertheless I much prefer the look of my 2nd gen echo dot over this.
All day I dream about sports