Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Epiphone Les Paul Special II $139 | Pro-1 Acoustic $129

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2020 11:45 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3334 upvotes
if you have 0 knowledge stick with a known brand. you will become so frustrated youll quit sooner. the instrument wont stay in tune. it wont play right, wont sound right, there Is absolutely no warranty on those instruments. although it looks the same learning it will be a lot harder.
Nov 16, 2012
677 posts
189 upvotes
VANCOUVER
waven101 wrote: maybe you could try to do a price match at the music store nearby you.. they usually offer a free tune up after a month of playing with the instrument.
you will see when you try to play the string the first few weeks if you need to change them. if you feel like the strings are really hard to press down, its not always because of the player being new, sometimes it is the strings or it needs a tune up that is more true with acoustic guitars as there are many gauge of strings. epiphone is great and this is very basic tones but again that's all you'll need for a long time.
what is important. is Canada is rough on acoustic guitar , don't put it near a heating source it will dry up the wood and it might split or bend the neck wich requires another tune up, there are guitar humidifiers as well but if you got a room that's more humid than others that's where you should put it.
Thanks man! Amazon is usually easier with defects and such and I've never dealt with the local shops, although I can look into it. How much do tune-ups cost anyways? Can I do em myself?
Last edited by infamousdealer on Dec 14th, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3334 upvotes
depends.. usually around 40-50.00 plus the strings. on a new guitar it is almost required. guitars require maintenance and there is so much to learn, the guitar repairing and tuning up will come with time but that's not something that you should do If you're new at it. its not just the strings but it might also be the nut or the bridge that needs to be adjusted or the truss rod on the acoustic. it might sound well on the first few strings but then go on the 12 string and youll have some fret buzz.
you can however find some deals on that too.. like long and mcquade has this deal once in a while if I bring my guitar and buy 2 sets of certain strings they give me a free tune up. gets me in their shop trying new instruments that's going to get me to spend too much.
as I said. if you're new, everything should be set up for you to start play, not keep being frustrating because the guitar don't play right, because it will happen. that is just part of the instrument set up. 40.00 for your first course, or 40.00 so you can have it set up and have someone to speak about it. id choose the set up. because it is a crazy good deal for this price 129 to 139 free shipping is probably just so they get you to start les pauls and hoping for you to upgrade at some point in the same type of guitar.
Mar 9, 2002
34 posts
10 upvotes
Bought a used special ii a couple years ago and had to upgrade soon after. I had it setup but it constantly needed tuning. Also I found the neck uncomfortable while playing. If you can find something used of higher quality it may be worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4353 posts
3740 upvotes
Went to the Mississauga L&M this evening. They were ok with doing the PM but were out of stock of the vintage sunburst. I asked about the setup that they offer free with the purchase of a guitar and was told its unnecessary to do that for a new guitar. Regular price of a setup is $65.
Jun 19, 2011
155 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
does anyone know if Cosmo will price match amazon.ca?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4597 posts
1657 upvotes
Brampton
I caved and bought, I already have a fender squire strat from way back and always wanted a budget les paul to go with it. Now my 2 kids can enjoy them too.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Nov 10, 2013
98 posts
73 upvotes
TORONTO
enfinityx2 wrote: You could get a solid Taylor for right around $600-700 not on sale. (Talking the acoustics because that's what I know, haven't looked into the electrics)
I meant the electrics, yeah. I've got the LP Special II here. Feels pretty on par in terms of build quality to the Mexican Strats I've played. Def a step down from my Japanese Tele which was $1000.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4353 posts
3740 upvotes
Ended up ordering last night from Amazon. Thx Op.

In person, the vintage sunburst does look a little cheap, but to be expected for the $139 price (they had a demo at L&M).
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
johnnyblayze wrote: Went to the Mississauga L&M this evening. They were ok with doing the PM but were out of stock of the vintage sunburst. I asked about the setup that they offer free with the purchase of a guitar and was told its unnecessary to do that for a new guitar. Regular price of a setup is $65.
Time to find a new place to get a guitar... or simply buy it there and get it setup elsewhere if you don't know anything about guitars.

Buying a guitar without trying it out is only applicable to entry level guitars or if you don't know how to play. Otherwise it's a bit insane to buy any acoustic instrument without trying it out yourself...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4353 posts
3740 upvotes
Bafonso wrote: Time to find a new place to get a guitar... or simply buy it there and get it setup elsewhere if you don't know anything about guitars.

Buying a guitar without trying it out is only applicable to entry level guitars or if you don't know how to play. Otherwise it's a bit insane to buy any acoustic instrument without trying it out yourself...
What does what I wrote have to do with 'trying it out' myself? What you bolded from my post is about the setup.
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
johnnyblayze wrote: What does what I wrote have to do with 'trying it out' myself? What you bolded from my post is about the setup.
No guitar comes properly setup, not even higher end ones, so any shop that tells you a new guitar doesn't need to be setup is not trustworthy.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2004
1094 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
Cosmo music or long & Mcquade will set up your guitar for $50 or so.

If you buy from them, they offer a free setup.

I've used both retailers for setup; sometimes they offer "free" setup but in my experience, you get what you pay for and for a beginner it's really important to get the guitar set up properly... so pay for it.

For my lower end guitars; I've resorted to doing the setup myself (not hard) but only after playing for a while to know what you're actually looking for.
Bafonso wrote: No guitar comes properly setup, not even higher end ones, so any shop that tells you a new guitar doesn't need to be setup is not trustworthy.
Oct 1, 2006
99 posts
196 upvotes
calgary
Diakonos wrote: Thanks for posting. I know absolutely zero about electric guitars, but have had a Seagull S6 for 8 years and I play acoustic guitar a few times a month with friends. Is this a good novice guitar for electric? Or will I have to probably end up buying another one in a year or so because this is very introductory/strictly for learners?
yes it is - basically a Gibson(same company) without the high cost. like a Squire by Fender I have couple of Gibsons and some Epi's. Favorite two guitars are both Epi. As long as the neck is straight and tuners are good, you can play this your whole life, maybe change out the pickups for a different sound. the fun on the electrics for me is the pedals that can give sound effects only possible with an electric.

Sound quality is highly dependent on an amp. A good tube amp will have better and less harsh sound than a cheap solid state amp. So buying an electric guitar is just a start. Amp and pedals next!
Also some of the posters mention a guitar setup - yes that is a good idea, but I would play for a while and figure out how you like it. high setup good for beginners, but I prefer a low action for fingerstyle picking. A professional setup will file down any rough frets, but i don't usually find this to be an typical issue with the Epi's. Have had issues with low end acoustics, some of them will shred your fingers if you're not careful.
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
Nowadays most guitars are setup "Ok" out of the assembly line but there is the odd one that is so bad that will put off beginners from learning, this is the main problem. I find it strange that shops don't setup guitars minimally for beginners since they're the future clients...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4353 posts
3740 upvotes
Received the guitar on Monday. Out of the box sounded and looked great - obviously just needed to be tuned. Started an online learning course and so far so good. Happy with the purchase.