Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Estwing Rock Pick

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2018 9:54 am
Jan 5, 2012
98 posts
85 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Estwing Rock Pick

I was looking for this hammer for some time. I think it is a great tool to use when hiking with my children and pick some rocks to explain them some basic facts about geology or more. I found it to be the best price since I was starting to look after it back in Autumn.
3xCamel: https://ca.***************.com/Estwing- ... B0002OVCMO
Fakespot: https://www.fakespot.com/product/estwin ... -rock-pick

I am just a beginner at this, so if you find a better option, I will gladly accept it. :)
17 replies
Oct 26, 2017
171 posts
284 upvotes
I have this rock pick. Well constructed in my opinion. Good value.

The Amazon price might be matching the sale price at KMS tools: Estwing Rock Pick (22oz)

Edit:
I could've sworn I bought mine at Lowes, but it doesn't show up on their website. Maybe they carry it in-store? If so, might be able to price-beat.

I checked Home Depot too, but no dice. This is the closest: 22Oz Solid Steel Bricklayer. Not quite the same since it has a flat chipping end, not a point so probably not quite as robust for smashing rock.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
You would certainly be able to just use the claw of any cheap old hammer to accomplish the same job when randomly hiking with kids, no?
Feb 17, 2013
32 posts
11 upvotes
Bought an Estwing rock pick in the early 1980s. It looks identical to the new ones and still in great shape, though it was probably only 12 bucks back then.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7631 upvotes
ON
BinaryJay wrote: You would certainly be able to just use the claw of any cheap old hammer to accomplish the same job when randomly hiking with kids, no?
You wouldn't look "pro" enough...lol
Nov 26, 2003
691 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
I’m on my second one of these. The first one is probably still being used—just not by me.
If they are still made the same, it’s a quality tool. Don’t forget to grab a few pair of safety glasses for you and the kids.
Nov 26, 2003
691 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
BinaryJay wrote: You would certainly be able to just use the claw of any cheap old hammer to accomplish the same job when randomly hiking with kids, no?
Do you walk into Asian restaurants and suggest that the diners use forks?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
stang wrote: Do you walk into Asian restaurants and suggest that the diners use forks?
If they were charging $50 to use chopsticks but the forks were free, I might feel compelled.
Nov 26, 2003
691 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
BinaryJay wrote: If they were charging $50 to use chopsticks but the forks were free, I might feel compelled.
What if the free forks had a tendency to shoot steel fragments from their tines when impacting the blanched almonds in your Kung Pao Chicken?

I pretty sure that claw hammers are even sold with a specific warning that they never be used for hammering rocks or for hitting cold chisels etc. The money you’ll save on the dedicated rock hammer, can be used for gauze and maybe a stylish eyepatch.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7631 upvotes
ON
stang wrote: What if the free forks had a tendency to shoot steel fragments from their tines when impacting the blanched almonds in your Kung Pao Chicken?

I pretty sure that claw hammers are even sold with a specific warning that they never be used for hammering rocks or for hitting cold chisels etc. The money you’ll save on the dedicated rock hammer, can be used for gauze and maybe a stylish eyepatch.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
stang wrote: What if the free forks had a tendency to shoot steel fragments from their tines when impacting the blanched almonds in your Kung Pao Chicken?

Hey man, if you're a professional rock basher and do it all day long I fully support having the right tool for the job... when you're just bashing the odd rock on the trail for fun a few times over the summer it seems overkill. It's not like bashing rocks with this rock pick precludes having to take any kind of safety precautions to protect your eyes whenever you're bashing anything with any kind of tool anyway.
May 26, 2006
280 posts
172 upvotes
I came to this thread looking for a deal on a rock hammer, only to find a bunch of rock heads arguing about chinese food and chopsticks!!
Nov 26, 2003
691 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
dilligafeh wrote: Image
Thanks for the high horse.
I wasn’t actually trying to be condescending. My comments were made in jest.
Nov 26, 2003
691 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
BinaryJay wrote: Hey man, if you're a professional rock basher and do it all day long I fully support having the right tool for the job... when you're just bashing the odd rock on the trail for fun a few times over the summer it seems overkill. It's not like bashing rocks with this rock pick precludes having to take any kind of safety precautions to protect your eyes whenever you're bashing anything with any kind of tool anyway.
I guess we’ll just agree to disagree—on the chopsticks that is.

The OP has an obvious interest in geology and I’m sure that the rock hammer will see more use—either by him or his kids. His intention was to teach his kids some facts about geology and I didn’t want him teaching his kids the wrong (unsafe) way to use a tool to appease this tough RFD crowd.
Nov 21, 2015
55 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As a professional rock basher, I swear these are the best. Unfortunately, I can't justify buying a second one since my first one is still working perfectly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of these back from the 60s I think, it was my grampas. Has the old-style compressed leather handle which is apparently better for grip and comfort.

Not a rock hound, I keep it more for memory's sake now -- when I was 3-4 years old, I apparently decided it would be great fun to take this hammer and pulverize about 10sf of hardwood flooring in the house with the pointy end.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1746 posts
3106 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Not a bad self defence weapon.
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Feb 2, 2015
254 posts
154 upvotes
Victoria, BC
BinaryJay wrote: Hey man, if you're a professional rock basher and do it all day long I fully support having the right tool for the job... when you're just bashing the odd rock on the trail for fun a few times over the summer it seems overkill. It's not like bashing rocks with this rock pick precludes having to take any kind of safety precautions to protect your eyes whenever you're bashing anything with any kind of tool anyway.
I find a lot of people on this forum have a lot of expendable money. They will post a deal on a $2000 jacket, down to $1700 and about 15 people comment saying "oh thanks so much. just bought 2!"

Maybe he's an amateur rock collector or something. Maybe he's trying to show his kids how important it is to use the proper tools for the job?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)