Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

(EXPIRED) Baby Brezza One Step Sterilizer Dryer 4-in-1 $78.39

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2019 8:10 am
Sep 8, 2016
84 posts
69 upvotes
I purchased something similar for a friend, but their pediatrician said that boiling pot (get a big stock pot & a pile of baby bottles) of water is best. Some of these machines if not kept 100% clean; provides another area for germs to grow.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2539 posts
960 upvotes
Halifax
cutey130 wrote: If you don’t value your infant’s health..... are you being serious? It’s more like if you love to waste money, then yes and try to act like it’s improving your child’s health, then yes!
He/she quoted someone who said that they don't sterilize at all, and just handwash with hot water:
Ducky wrote: i just handwash with hot water.... dunno why you need these fancy machines...i don't even use boiling water... does it matter..
So clearly, yes if you are not sterlizing with at least boiling water there are health risks to your infant.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
I boiled my bottle in a pot for sterlization, my baby turned out perfectly fine,.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1753 posts
2721 upvotes
Pallet Town
akito925 wrote: I boiled my bottle in a pot for sterlization, my baby turned out perfectly fine,.
I personally started with boiling in water and then switched to the Brezza steamer after finding it cheap a while ago. Yes it doesn't take much effort to boil a pot of water and put the bottles in, but it took even less effort to load it into the steamer, pour a little bit of water, walk away, and come back an hour later to perfectly dry bottles/nipples/etc. Whether it's worth it is up to the individual person, but I found it helpful since it was one less thing on my mind. We tried it again after a few months of storage and it did start leaking (not sure why), but I'd pay $80 to buy it again.

FYI for those who are buying this, it's worth the extra couple of bucks to buy distilled water. Cleanup doesn't take very long, but cleaning mineral deposits is annoying

On a side note, I never did like the argument "I did 'x' and my baby was fine". I'm sure other parents have said the same with not sterilizing at all (my own parents said that with me when they saw us boiling bottles), and I'm sure there are some parents who have used the same argument with not getting the measles vaccine.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: That assumes that your time is worthless. Cripes, at a bare minimum, grab a microwave steriliser.
This. We used one of these for two kids over three years and it worked perfectly. It only takes a few minutes and fits anything you want to put in there.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
tsaktuo1 wrote: If you don't value your infant's health, then no, it probably doesn't matter.

**With that said, I wanted to add that we just picked up the Wabi sterilizer/dryer more for the drying function. Did look at this unit as well, but I've heard it leaks.
Unless your water supply is suspected to harbor contaminated bacteria, it is as safe for your baby as it is for you. There is no reason to sterilize what is already safe. Sterilizing the bottles and nipples is also unwarranted. Thorough cleaning with soap and water gets rid of almost all germs.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1358 posts
1343 upvotes
As someone with no kids, I am genuinely curious why it's required to sterilize everything in boiling water? I mean, kids put everything in their mouths anyways (most of it much dirtier than washed bottles).

(Again, I know that sterilizing is recommended, I just always wondered if it was overkill...)

Edit: I did a quick google search and several websites mention it's not necessary to sterilize every time, just initially, after an infection, and maybe periodically. Not sure how reputable those sites are though?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1293 posts
1643 upvotes
ottawa
This is just as convenient as using a robot vacuum for example. Yes, you can do it manually but is it worth your time/extra effort?
Mar 22, 2016
33 posts
22 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: As someone with no kids, I am genuinely curious why it's required to sterilize everything in boiling water? I mean, kids put everything in their mouths anyways (most of it much dirtier than washed bottles).

(Again, I know that sterilizing is recommended, I just always wondered if it was overkill...)

Edit: I did a quick google search and several websites mention it's not necessary to sterilize every time, just initially, after an infection, and maybe periodically. Not sure how reputable those sites are though?
Based on what we have read, once a baby starts to crawl around and put things in their mouth is when you can stop sterilizing. I have read some places that you don't need to sterilize every time, but my wife and I just do it each time to be safe. It's washing that is more effort than sterilizing since we bought a microwave sterilizer, which makes it really quick to use.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ducky wrote: Unless your water supply is suspected to harbor contaminated bacteria, it is as safe for your baby as it is for you. There is no reason to sterilize what is already safe. Sterilizing the bottles and nipples is also unwarranted. Thorough cleaning with soap and water gets rid of almost all germs.
jk9088 wrote: As someone with no kids, I am genuinely curious why it's required to sterilize everything in boiling water? I mean, kids put everything in their mouths anyways (most of it much dirtier than washed bottles).
If a woman is pumping milk, you absolutely must sanitise the pump equipment and bottles to keep the milk fresh for storage. Breast milk has antibacterial properties, but dangerous pathogens will still grow quickly in less than pristine conditions. Formula is even worse; it has no antibacterial properties, is a perfect medium for bacterial growth, and spoils very, very quickly.

Nobody would/should care if a baby just chewed on a dirty bottle. But put milk or formula in that dirty bottle and it can be very bad for your baby's health.
Dec 19, 2008
308 posts
144 upvotes
Daughter in law is expecting and this is something they mentioned wanting. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sterilizing bottles beyond their first use is just fear mongering. Think about it, is a mothers breast sterilized every time a baby drinks from it??

http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nutri ... bottle.htm

What If Your Doctor Recommends Routine Bottle Sterilization?
If your healthcare provider recommends routine sterilization, don't be afraid to question why this practice is necessary. While some doctors may know that the water supply in your area is not up to par, others may be advising sterilization out of habit.

Healthcare providers have varying advice on this, but studies as far back as the 1950s have indicated that there is no need for routine sterilization of bottles beyond hot soapy water or time in a dishwasher. In fact, it's been noted that constant sterilization via boiling can cause older plastic bottles to leach out BPA quicker.

In the end, deciding how (and how often) to sanitize your baby's feeding equipment is entirely up to you. Talk to your pediatrician and choose the method that best fits your lifestyle and makes you most comfortable.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
wiebecj wrote: Think about it, is a mothers breast sterilized every time a baby drinks from it??
When the baby drinks directly from the breast, the milk is not stored. Storage in unsanitised bottles is a completely unnecessary risk.
Talk to your pediatrician and choose the method that best fits your lifestyle and makes you most comfortable.
Ridiculous cop-out. Basically giving bad advice, then absolving all responsibility, because of 'the feels'. At the same time fearmongering about BPA, which isn't used in baby bottles anymore.
Last edited by OneAndTrueHeir on Mar 11th, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: When the baby drinks directly from the breast, the milk is not stored. Storage in unsanitised bottles is a completely unnecessary risk.

Ridiculous cop-out. Basically giving bad advice, then absolving all responsibility, because of 'the feels'.
So its not stored in the mothers body? Our doctor told us the same thing. Nothing required beyond soap and water.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
wiebecj wrote: So its not stored in the mothers body? Our doctor told us the same thing. Nothing required beyond soap and water.
Sure it is. But when you pump, and put it in a bottle, with different bacteria, and store it longer, that is when the risks arise.
Last edited by OneAndTrueHeir on Mar 11th, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 2, 2008
248 posts
111 upvotes
for value this was the best sterilizer i found. The drying feature saves a ton of time. we tried to use a non-drying sterilizer and the bottle would take days to dry. this thing take about 45 mins. we use Distilled water in it as well. Honestly this thing is awesome. there are other sterilizers that have drying but they cost like $200 or more. i think this product save a good deal of time so i have and would totally recommended it.
Feb 17, 2015
47 posts
19 upvotes
Regina
Thanks OP! Bought one for sterilizing my kid's nebulizer equipment (he has Cystic Fibrosis). I have been using the microwave bags. I had been waiting for the brezza or the wabi to go on sale so I jumped at this price.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: Sure it is. But when you pump, and put it in a bottle, with different bacteria, and store it longer, that is when the risks arise.
And thats why you use soap and water to clean the bottles. Or a dishwasher. I’m not here to convince anyone. Do what you feel is best for your baby. Just stating what we were told for our children
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2354 posts
571 upvotes
Would have purchased this instead of our Philips. The drying function would have been handy. We now use a small usb fan plugged into the wall socket to quickly dry bottles/nipples. Not as effective but sure beats waiting for hours for everything to try if left on its own.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1358 posts
1343 upvotes
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: If a woman is pumping milk, you absolutely must sanitise the pump equipment and bottles to keep the milk fresh for storage. Breast milk has antibacterial properties, but dangerous pathogens will still grow quickly in less than pristine conditions. Formula is even worse; it has no antibacterial properties, is a perfect medium for bacterial growth, and spoils very, very quickly.

Nobody would/should care if a baby just chewed on a dirty bottle. But put milk or formula in that dirty bottle and it can be very bad for your baby's health.
TorontoUserName wrote: Based on what we have read, once a baby starts to crawl around and put things in their mouth is when you can stop sterilizing. I have read some places that you don't need to sterilize every time, but my wife and I just do it each time to be safe. It's washing that is more effort than sterilizing since we bought a microwave sterilizer, which makes it really quick to use.
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like if you are making a fresh batch of mixed formula it is fine, and also after the baby is a few months old it's also fine. Otherwise it's just done to err on the side of caution?

Can sterilizing too often actually be bad for the baby? e.g. you are keeping their environment "too clean", leading to increased risk of autoimmune diseases/allergies etc?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)