• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2019 4:15 am
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11121 posts
2618 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 11:12 pm
So the fire tv stick will be $49.99. Will the new remote go down as well? Would be awesome if it dropped down to $19.99.
The firestick 4K I think comes with the new remote, as well, the new remote was $20 recently as a limited promo... got one, although not sure I need it.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17331 posts
23892 upvotes
ONTARIO
jackass_ca wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 11:32 pm
The firestick 4K I think comes with the new remote, as well, the new remote was $20 recently as a limited promo... got one, although not sure I need it.
Hopefully they drop it down to $20 again. I'd pick up the remote only for my nvidia shield.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
Kaitlyn wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 11:29 pm
Sorry a bit behind things but I have a Chromecast. How does this compare to it? What about Nvidia shield?

My tv has casting, so I could i.e. cast from my phone. I used to have a mini pc and would stream video from web sites... Anything from like fifa on CBC to Rogers anyplace tv to stuff like couchtuner. The computer was my major external device for my tv, which I originally had for Kodi but stopped using.

The Chromecast doesn't do 4k, but do these units do the other things? Anything else?
The Chromecast is more of an attachment device. It's essentially like plugging your phone or tablet into your TV. You cannot really compare the Chromecast to anything else.

The Nvidia Shield is a great product; however, it's overkill for most applications. If you only need streaming or IPTV then it's a big waste of money.

The Fire TV Stick would turn your basic TV into a smart TV. It won't provide as much customization and control as an HTPC but still more than a regular smart TV. Then again, the Fire Stick is only $50 (for Black Friday) whereas a 4K HTPC would cost a few hundred dollars.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16568 posts
8927 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
BobSagget wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 11:39 pm
Hopefully they drop it down to $20 again. I'd pick up the remote only for my nvidia shield.
Since the Fire remote works with the Shield then presumably the Shield remote will work with Fire stick. Assuming that's true, you could get the Fire stick for $50, swap the remotes, and essentially have a secondary media player for $30. That's what I'm thinking of doing, although my secondary media player is a Mi Box.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3835 posts
1933 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
I'm surprised nobody talk about the two most exciting features on this device for video enthusiast.

Dolby Vision + HLG HDR and automatic refresh rate based on the video content.

Chromecast output everything at 60hz and is only HDR 10
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1129 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
What do you guys use this for? Just curious if i can use this or not
Nov 19, 2009
582 posts
65 upvotes
Laval
DimsumDeals wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 8:06 am
I use it mostly for a Bell Fibe App. I dont have to spend 200+ for a box or rent one.
Oct 24, 2004
706 posts
125 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote:
It will change the way you watch tv, it opens up the world.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2831 posts
1525 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote:
I have them on my two 4K vizio tvs (2 bedrooms) that only have netflix built into them.

I use Amazon Prime, Crave, Netflix, and Kodi on them. On Kodi I have the NHL.tv app so I can watch/listen to hockey in bed to fall asleep.

Once I upgrade these I will give an old one to my parents to make their tv smart.

I also have one plugged into my receiver that sends it to my projector.

I have unplugged my HTPC.. no reason to power that useless thing. We don't download shows/movies anymore because we can't even find time to watch all we want to on Netflix/Crave/Amazon.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1129 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Cameraguy23 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 9:37 am

It will change the way you watch tv, it opens up the world.
uklamen wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 9:51 am
I have them on my two 4K vizio tvs (2 bedrooms) that only have netflix built into them.

I use Amazon Prime, Crave, Netflix, and Kodi on them. On Kodi I have the NHL.tv app so I can watch/listen to hockey in bed to fall asleep.

Once I upgrade these I will give an old one to my parents to make their tv smart.

I also have one plugged into my receiver that sends it to my projector.

I have unplugged my HTPC.. no reason to power that useless thing. We don't download shows/movies anymore because we can't even find time to watch all we want to on Netflix/Crave/Amazon.
hmmm thanks for the reply but not really though?

I have a chromecast device (1st gen) and my TV has 4k Netflix/Youtube built in. This is why I'm asking what else I can do with this as I can do pretty much everything right now on my current setup, maybe except Kodi? I went away from Kodi because it's pretty troublesome to set those up. Does this thing have a browser that can play those reddit streams though?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
vonblock wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 7:40 am
I'm surprised nobody talk about the two most exciting features on this device for video enthusiast.

Dolby Vision + HLG HDR and automatic refresh rate based on the video content.

Chromecast output everything at 60hz and is only HDR 10
The auto refresh rate option causes audio-video sync issues with Prime Video for some odd reason. Or it might have been audio settings that did it.

Either way, I set audio to regular stereo mode and turned off auto-refresh rate and the sync issues stopped.

Maybe my TV is just old.
DimsumDeals wrote:
Whatever you want. It's an android device designed for your TV. If you already have a smart TV it might be redundant.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1129 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 12:01 pm
The auto refresh rate option causes audio-video sync issues with Prime Video for some odd reason. Or it might have been audio settings that did it.

Either way, I set audio to regular stereo mode and turned off auto-refresh rate and the sync issues stopped.

Maybe my TV is just old.

Whatever you want. It's an android device designed for your TV. If you already have a smart TV it might be redundant.

Can I use this for a Display Monitor that I use for working from home?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2831 posts
1525 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 10:01 am
hmmm thanks for the reply but not really though?

I have a chromecast device (1st gen) and my TV has 4k Netflix/Youtube built in. This is why I'm asking what else I can do with this as I can do pretty much everything right now on my current setup, maybe except Kodi? I went away from Kodi because it's pretty troublesome to set those up. Does this thing have a browser that can play those reddit streams though?
I don't think you would get much benefit really.

I have stopped using my Chromecast completely myself. I just run it all off the Firestick and have no need to go get my phone.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3145 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
for those that have had the Nvidia shield - how does this compare as far as video quality ?

I have a shield but is overkill for what I do with it (Netflix/kodi/prime) and I don't use it for gaming
Jun 12, 2010
649 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver
dchabby wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:10 am
for those that have had the Nvidia shield - how does this compare as far as video quality ?

I have a shield but is overkill for what I do with it (Netflix/kodi/prime) and I don't use it for gaming
I'm generally in the same boat.. wondering whether or not to return the Shield but have until end of Jan to decide I guess...

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)