• Nov 15th, 2017 7:27 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2015
488 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Fire TV stick now available in Canada $49.99

Fire TV Stick | Basic Edition https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01ETRGE68/

Looks like the only difference compared to the US version is the lack of Alexa support on the remote.
202 replies
Feb 27, 2012
117 posts
60 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Too bad i already have 6 of them @ $31.00Cad each from like 2 years ago. Almost double and 2 years late.
May 19, 2010
448 posts
132 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks OP. Ill give one a shot and see if it replaces my chromecast. :)
[OP]
Sep 25, 2015
488 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto, ON
user12340 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:37 am
Too bad i already have 6 of them @ $31.00Cad each from like 2 years ago. Almost double and 2 years late.
Furthermore, the one I posted could possibly be limited in some way to Canadian content
Jul 20, 2016
464 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Nice, "just" in time for The Grand Tour!

Wondering if they'll release other items from Fire TV line here soon?
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jan 11, 2009
370 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Is Amazon on crack, it looks like they are trying to get rid of their remaining 1st gen fire sticks (2014) to the Canadian market??
Mar 7, 2007
959 posts
93 upvotes
Brampton
they will be launching in Canada shortly.
Apr 4, 2012
136 posts
32 upvotes
Laval, Que
neonic wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:53 am
Nice, "just" in time for The Grand Tour!

Wondering if they'll release other items from Fire TV line here soon?
Got excited about OP post but I just check both my FireTV and FireStick and Prime Video still not available. So if you want Prime Video, I would hold off on buying the firestick until/if Prime video ever works with the FireTV or Stick.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
gophia wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:08 am
Got excited about OP post but I just check both my FireTV and FireStick and Prime Video still not available. So if you want Prime Video, I would hold off on buying the firestick until/if Prime video ever works with the FireTV or Stick.
Is it that it's not there, or doesn't work? The description on the Amazon page, says Amazon prime customers can enjoy Amazon Prime video.
Amazon Prime Video members get unlimited access to Prime Video, including original programming such as The Grand Tour, Man in the High Castle and American Gods.
Also, how easy is it to put Kodi on this? Not that I need ANOTHER device, but for $50, if it runs Kodi well, and other apps, it may be worth it, considering I am sure Canucks will get the hose when a new gen is released. I am not familiar with the Amazon experience, using my Nexus player and Mi Boxes currently, but if it runs as smooth as those being a true TV device, it'd be worth a try.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2777 posts
463 upvotes
Mississauga
62 viewers currently viewing this thread with no discount mentioned in the title...so obviously a lot of interest in this product. But with black Friday around the corner it may be better to wait a few weeks more
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
Tig wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:18 am
62 viewers currently viewing this thread with no discount mentioned in the title...so obviously a lot of interest in this product. But with black Friday around the corner it may be better to wait a few weeks more
Hmmm, never thought about that... good point.. hopefully there's still stock.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Apr 4, 2012
136 posts
32 upvotes
Laval, Que
jackass_ca

Prime Video works in Canada but on their FireTV or stick. The app is there and you can see all available titles but when you try to play a video its says not available in your location.
Feb 27, 2012
117 posts
60 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:48 am
Furthermore, the one I posted could possibly be limited in some way to Canadian content
It will be by IP, If i use mine without VPN my Amazon videos are disabled but with VPN everything works. My prime account is a USA one and i'm not paying a extra $100.00 to get a Cad one.

I only use my sticks for Kodi anyways.
Apr 4, 2012
136 posts
32 upvotes
Laval, Que
It's not the discount but the fact that Amazon has finally selling the FireStick in Canada.
Tig wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:18 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5539 posts
1362 upvotes
They work reasonably well for the price - and it's possible (relatively easy) to load Kodi/Mobdro/Terrarium on them.
The only downside is they tend to run relatively warm - some have complained that they overheat and start acting up - there are various mods floating around including aiming a fan at them, gluing a heat sink, taking off the outer plastic casing etc.
One additional bonus BTW - it comes with Amazon "Alexa" built in - mic is in the remote.
One other annoyance is the remote - when using Kodi you have to use the virtual on screen keyboard.
Last edited by plymouthhater on Nov 7th, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.