• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 7:27 pm
Nov 22, 2012
360 posts
115 upvotes
VANCOUVER
bose wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:17 am
I have Fire stick 2nd gen, the new Fire TV, and nvidia Shield. Skip the Fire stick and get the Fire TV. The new Fire TV works as good/fast as the Shield.
I have a fire TV box (2015) and various sticks. The fire devices don't have HD audio pass-through, has 10bit input but not output 10bit, and only does 4K UHD at 30 FPS, not 60 FPS.

I only have local content, and if I rip into 4K 10bit HEVC, the box chokes.

I can VPN and use US Amazon videos, but can't watch CDN content, even with CDN prime.

With the above said, if you're okay with the limitations, then this stick, although a bit slow, with suffice.

If you're a more advanced user, then get a shield TV. I researched the Mi box and there appears to be a bad Netflix bug present in the hardware.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14227 posts
3145 upvotes
smuPoker wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:15 am
I have a mibox and the Android TV OS's issue with framerate hitching is annoying me enough to try this. It's just for Kodi so I'm assuming it'll handle it well enough. Worst case scenario, I return it to Amazon.
One reason I kept the Nexus Player is that the OS is updated regularly, unlike the Mi Box, The Nexus took the 8.0 upgrade weeks ago and now we are looking at the 8.1 update shortly. Too bad Google never made an updated version of that box but I do like how they still support it...
Jan 11, 2009
380 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
DougO wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:08 am
One reason I kept the Nexus Player is that the OS is updated regularly, unlike the Mi Box, The Nexus took the 8.0 upgrade weeks ago and now we are looking at the 8.1 update shortly. Too bad Google never made an updated version of that box but I do like how they still support it...

sh!t, I didnt know they were still updating the nexus player after they discontinued it last year, and up til 8.0? Im surprised, I was thinking of getting the Nexus Player as a backup in case Amazon ever decides to update the FireTV products/OS to block Kodi, I think it will happen one day after more and more pressure from the studios, cable providers, etc. I only wish the Nexus Player had an Ethernet connection.
Oct 16, 2014
42 posts
5 upvotes
Timmins, ON
does amazon prime canada video work with the shield?
Jan 11, 2009
380 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
omgiloveu wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:56 am
save your money to buy Nvidia Shield, that's the fastest one.
if you're getting an Nvidia Shield instead of the FireStick you're def. not saving money, the shield is 4x the price, kinda a hard sell if you are gonna use it for Kodi, Prime Video. Shield is really good, don't get me wrong if you happen to be a gamer, but if you are going to be using it for streaming only the firestick/tv will suffice and at a fraction of the cost.

by the way, if anyone is looking for the Nvidia Shield, its already on "black Friday" sale @ BestBuy US and Amazon.com for $169 US with the game controller. Note: BestBuy will cancel any forwarders/frieght shipping addresses (AmeriFriends only), Amazon will allow you to ship to forwarders like CrossBorderPickUps.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3141 posts
357 upvotes
Wat
remik wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:20 am
I only wish the Nexus Player had an Ethernet connection.
Just buy the OTG to Ethernet adapter. I got one and it works great.
Apr 8, 2012
84 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Any chance you can PM me the instructions as it might help with my situaton with not being able to watch Amazon Prime content on my U.S. Fire Stick?
bubbabooie wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:22 pm
I spent a good junk of my evening working with Amazon support. I have an Amazon TV box, purchased in the U.S., that could not access Amazon Prime Canada. When I saw the Amazon Fire Stick go on sale in Canada today, I got excited thinking my Amazon Fire TV box may now work. So I IM'd tech support and after approx 4o mins of IM'ing got confirmation it would work and was sent instructions but they were geared towards Amazon Fire Stick and not my Amazon TV box. So I emailed and very specifically asked will my Amazon TV box now work in Canada. A different tech support person emailed back - NO. In that email was a survey which I completed negatively and at the end it asked do you want a call. I did the survey and said yes. Got a call within seconds and rep had no idea what my issue was. Labored with an explanation. They said my Fire TV box won't work in Canada. I said I was able to watch 4 episodes of Goliath before i got error messages and could no longer watch content. I maintained that if I could watch 4 episodes of a show with my Amazon TV box in Canada before it crapped out, there must be a fix. She went to another tech person who said I was correct. After a great deal of time with this person, she reversed her position and said that my Amazon TV box would not work in Canada but would put me to a US Amazon TV support person. Started over with a US rep. She said would change regional settings and after much back and forth holds, said it could not be done bla bla bal US IP bla bla bla. I have spent probably 5 hours or more trying to get Amazon tech support to confirm my Amazon TV box will work with my Amazon Prime Canada membership. Short version - NO! But if you purchase the Amazon Firestick from Amazon.ca, it will. Albeit no 4k, and less memory and tech admitted sometimes have to disable Dolby DTS if have sound issues. I suggested to Tech support if Amazon wants to win the war of critical mass, make it easy to access their content. If they now have a Cdn Firestick TV that provides Cdn Prime Content, with diminished service as compared to Fire TV box, why not have Cdn firmware upgrades to make Fire TV box be able to access Cdn content. For a co. that prides itself on customer service. they are beyond stupid. And tech support has mastered the art of saying, I'm, sorry. Pleeeaase, stop patronizing me and provide a basic service. Amazon, you are missing the boat.
Dec 8, 2009
105 posts
20 upvotes
lock1nout wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:26 am
Yes it does! I use Prime Video with my Shield. No issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2726 posts
671 upvotes
Vancouver
lock1nout wrote:
Yes.. UHD 4k! :)

Ron.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14696 posts
18304 upvotes
ONTARIO
lock1nout wrote:
Yes, the preinstalled Amazon Prime Video app on the Shield will give you access to the same content Canadians get from PrimeVideo.com
You can also sideload a second Prime Video app to access US Prime VIdeo content (as long as you use a VPN or smart DNS).

I would bet that this 'Basic Edition' Fire Stick will come with the same copy of Prime Video that comes on the Shield. Sort of like the "international" version, that gives you content based on your location. Not tethered to the US like the version on the US Fire TV/Stick.
Minus the 4K content anyway.
Last edited by BobSagget on Nov 8th, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 7, 2009
359 posts
122 upvotes
Wondering if someone can chime in and comment how this compares to Chromecast Ultra ... I wonder other than a physical remote, what advantage it has over Chromecast?
Feb 5, 2008
796 posts
165 upvotes
Fraser Valley
bubbabooie wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:22 pm
I spent a good junk of my evening working with Amazon support. I have an Amazon TV box, purchased in the U.S., that could not access Amazon Prime Canada. When I saw the Amazon Fire Stick go on sale in Canada today, I got excited thinking my Amazon Fire TV box may now work. So I IM'd tech support and after approx 4o mins of IM'ing got confirmation it would work and was sent instructions but they were geared towards Amazon Fire Stick and not my Amazon TV box. So I emailed and very specifically asked will my Amazon TV box now work in Canada. A different tech support person emailed back - NO. In that email was a survey which I completed negatively and at the end it asked do you want a call. I did the survey and said yes. Got a call within seconds and rep had no idea what my issue was. Labored with an explanation. They said my Fire TV box won't work in Canada. I said I was able to watch 4 episodes of Goliath before i got error messages and could no longer watch content. I maintained that if I could watch 4 episodes of a show with my Amazon TV box in Canada before it crapped out, there must be a fix. She went to another tech person who said I was correct. After a great deal of time with this person, she reversed her position and said that my Amazon TV box would not work in Canada but would put me to a US Amazon TV support person. Started over with a US rep. She said would change regional settings and after much back and forth holds, said it could not be done bla bla bal US IP bla bla bla. I have spent probably 5 hours or more trying to get Amazon tech support to confirm my Amazon TV box will work with my Amazon Prime Canada membership. Short version - NO! But if you purchase the Amazon Firestick from Amazon.ca, it will. Albeit no 4k, and less memory and tech admitted sometimes have to disable Dolby DTS if have sound issues. I suggested to Tech support if Amazon wants to win the war of critical mass, make it easy to access their content. If they now have a Cdn Firestick TV that provides Cdn Prime Content, with diminished service as compared to Fire TV box, why not have Cdn firmware upgrades to make Fire TV box be able to access Cdn content. For a co. that prides itself on customer service. they are beyond stupid. And tech support has mastered the art of saying, I'm, sorry. Pleeeaase, stop patronizing me and provide a basic service. Amazon, you are missing the boat.
Any chance you could post the instructions for the US Fire TV stick?
Jan 8, 2016
29 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
FrostyButters wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:15 pm
Any chance you could post the instructions for the US Fire TV stick?
This is ...... from Fire TV Support.

I'm glad to be assisting you today!

I wanted to let you know that I've successfully changed your Device Settings and your Digital Home Marketplace to Amazon.ca, with your Canadian address. Please take a note that this won't affect your retail orders or any shipping information on any of your accounts.

Device features and content availability may vary by your country or region. You can view and change your country settings from the Manage Your Content and Devices page on your computer or from the Store Settings screen on your device.

From your computer:

1. Go to Manage Your Content and Devices (www.amazon.ca/mycd).
2. Select the Settings tab.
3. Under Country Settings, click Change to select an existing address or enter a new address.

Changing your country settings may take up to 4-6 hours to be completed. Make sure not to purchase content from your Fire TV Stick during this time frame to complete the country migration.

Fire TV Stick Basic Edition ships to Canada from Amazon.ca, France from Amazon.fr, Italy from Amazon.it, and Spain from Amazon.es. We recommend registering your Fire TV Stick Basic Edition to the Amazon marketplace for the country you live in, in order to get the best experience.

After this time frame, please restart your device by disconnecting the power cord for 3 seconds and then plugging it back in or press and hold the Select and Play/Pause buttons on the included remote at the same time for about 5 seconds.

Finally, I've set a reminder to get back to you on November 8, 2017 at the same time from our last conversation, around 13:30 PM (EST) regarding our conversation today, to ensure the steps provided today will

I appreciate your patience while I continue to work on this matter.

Let us know if this works, and if by any chance you need more assistance, please don't hesitate in contacting us.

I hope this helps, it was a pleasure to assist you today!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5543 posts
1366 upvotes
For those who plan on buying the US model on Black Friday and have it shipped to an American address (or plan on taking a drive to the States) - here's a screenshot of the US Staples Black Friday 2017 flyer page - I can only assume Amazon.com will have similar pricing:
Last edited by plymouthhater on Nov 8th, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18989 posts
764 upvotes
Montreal
Does this do Amazon video in 4k?

My American TCL ROku TV won't let me downlaod the Amazon Prime app and neither will my SOny Blu-ray player. If I airplay it through my iPad it doesn;t airplay in 4k. ANyone has advice on how to get Amazon Prime 4k in` canada?