Computers & Electronics

Fire TV stick now available in Canada $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 7:27 pm
Feb 24, 2015
34 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
did anyone order the fire stick yet ? just wondering if its 1 st gen like it shows on the pic from amazon canada, on amazon us site u can not buy the 1st gen stick , just wondering if there dumping there old stock to us here in canada .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7046 posts
944 upvotes
Winnipeg
allieabby wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:25 pm
did anyone order the fire stick yet ? just wondering if its 1 st gen like it shows on the pic from amazon canada, on amazon us site u can not buy the 1st gen stick , just wondering if there dumping there old stock to us here in canada .
read down on amazon it clearly says...MediaTek Quad-core ARM 1.3 GHz
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5268 posts
1890 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Such a missed opportunity by Amazon Canada.

Why not offer this Fire TV Stick for free (or heavily discounted) when signing up for a 1 year Prime Membership????

They could easily protect themselves from early cancellations (as people do with free/cheap Cell phones) by stating that if you decide to later cancel your Prime membership, then you will be charged a fee for the Fire TV Stick.

They'd increase the subscriber base for Prime Video, as well as lock-in both intended as well as impulse purchases for folks who'd likely use Amazon for the convenience of Same-Day/Next-Day/Two-Day shipping rather than heading out to the stores.

I'm on a Prime 30-Day Trial at the moment, with no plans to renew....but for $80/year + a Fire TV Stick I'd sign up without hesitation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8304 posts
770 upvotes
i have 2 Mi Box and 2 GNP....sold one GNP

dont think this one is better than those..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Nov 3, 2009
617 posts
174 upvotes
Calgary
What does it differ from Google Chromecast?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2729 posts
671 upvotes
Vancouver
najibs wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:19 pm
Does this do Amazon video in 4k?

My American TCL ROku TV won't let me downlaod the Amazon Prime app and neither will my SOny Blu-ray player. If I airplay it through my iPad it doesn;t airplay in 4k. ANyone has advice on how to get Amazon Prime 4k in` canada?
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-c ... #p28439288

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7046 posts
944 upvotes
Winnipeg
kiasu wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:39 pm
i have 2 Mi Box and 2 GNP....sold one GNP

dont think this one is better than those..
its a 2nd gen stick it supports hvec
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2188 posts
221 upvotes
North York
ibuddler wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:42 pm
What does it differ from Google Chromecast?
I would like to know too.
Mar 6, 2005
436 posts
91 upvotes
bubbabooie wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:18 pm
This is ...... from Fire TV Support.

I'm glad to be assisting you today!

I wanted to let you know that I've successfully changed your Device Settings and your Digital Home Marketplace to Amazon.ca, with your Canadian address. Please take a note that this won't affect your retail orders or any shipping information on any of your accounts.

Device features and content availability may vary by your country or region. You can view and change your country settings from the Manage Your Content and Devices page on your computer or from the Store Settings screen on your device.

From your computer:

1. Go to Manage Your Content and Devices (www.amazon.ca/mycd).
2. Select the Settings tab.
3. Under Country Settings, click Change to select an existing address or enter a new address.

Changing your country settings may take up to 4-6 hours to be completed. Make sure not to purchase content from your Fire TV Stick during this time frame to complete the country migration.

Fire TV Stick Basic Edition ships to Canada from Amazon.ca, France from Amazon.fr, Italy from Amazon.it, and Spain from Amazon.es. We recommend registering your Fire TV Stick Basic Edition to the Amazon marketplace for the country you live in, in order to get the best experience.

After this time frame, please restart your device by disconnecting the power cord for 3 seconds and then plugging it back in or press and hold the Select and Play/Pause buttons on the included remote at the same time for about 5 seconds.

Finally, I've set a reminder to get back to you on November 8, 2017 at the same time from our last conversation, around 13:30 PM (EST) regarding our conversation today, to ensure the steps provided today will

I appreciate your patience while I continue to work on this matter.

Let us know if this works, and if by any chance you need more assistance, please don't hesitate in contacting us.

I hope this helps, it was a pleasure to assist you today!
Did this work?
Jan 11, 2009
381 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:49 pm
For those who plan on buying the US model on Black Friday and have it shipped to an American address (or plan on taking a drive to the States) - here's a screenshot of the US Staples Black Friday 2017 flyer page - I can only assume Amazon.com will have similar pricing:
Same price at target and bestbuy, I presume Walmart and amazon will have the same price.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1480 posts
392 upvotes
Sudbury
I would assume the $69.99 USD Fire TV 4K would be a better choice for Kodi use, due to 2GB of RAM and a better processor? Might pick one up on Black Friday from a site that ships to Canada.
May 24, 2007
364 posts
366 upvotes
Kelowna
So I have a 1st gen Amazon Fire TV and 1st gen Firestick. Both US based of course.

Just installed the Amazon Fire TV apps on my iPhone and Android. Both work well with the Fire TV. Haven't tried with the older Fire Stick yet but I imagine it won't be an issue.

Grabbed Amazon Prime Video and I can stream to my Fire TV via my Android phone (there's a button that says stream to Fire TV right there in the app) but can't for the life of me do it via the iPhone. I can select to cast it to my Apple TV but nothing mentioning the Fire TV or stick (the stick is unplugged so that should be obvious anyway.)

Will wait a day to see if there's any news regarding getting Amazon Video Canada to directly play on the Fire TV but happy it has more functionality than before. Definitely picking up something to replace the Fire Stick in the bedroom and might even grab the Canada Fire Stick to see how it works with Canada Content.

Love my Fire TV's and though it's a bit of a pain to setup Kodi, they seem to play well and I have no qualms about recommending them. Do wish the content was more geared to us since I'm tired of all the US junk they push out on it but for it's intended usage, Kodi, Terranium and NetFlix before I bought 4k Smart TV's, it's been great.

Excited to see better Canadian integration and thanks op for letting me know it was now available in Canada. Will likely get one just to check out. Hope they have a good Black Friday deal for them.
May 24, 2007
364 posts
366 upvotes
Kelowna
kanewtz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:21 pm
I would assume the $69.99 USD Fire TV 4K would be a better choice for Kodi use, due to 2GB of RAM and a better processor? Might pick one up on Black Friday from a site that ships to Canada.
Yeah, I'm sure they will be however a lot depends on Canadian content. Not sure the US based ones will ever play nice with Canadian stuff. Also, unless you have a lot of personally ripped 4k content, not sure you'll get much use of 4K in Kodi. NetFlix and YouTube but not Kodi for a while. Just not enough 4k content out there at the moment. The sizes are just too big atm.
Feb 5, 2008
796 posts
166 upvotes
Fraser Valley
tpirovol wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:59 pm
Did this work?
It didn't work for me. I already have my country set as Canada. This is very frustrating.

I use the same workaround as Hexxed but its not the most convenient way to watch Amazon Prime Video.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1480 posts
392 upvotes
Sudbury
Hexxed wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:30 pm
Yeah, I'm sure they will be however a lot depends on Canadian content. Not sure the US based ones will ever play nice with Canadian stuff. Also, unless you have a lot of personally ripped 4k content, not sure you'll get much use of 4K in Kodi. NetFlix and YouTube but not Kodi for a while. Just not enough 4k content out there at the moment. The sizes are just too big atm.
I'm more interested in the 2GB of RAM in a small form factor to side load KODI onto....my GNP sometimes buffers/lags trying to run Kodi.
Plus, I'd like a small device to run Kodi in my bedroom.

I do have a VPN and such and could use HBO NOW I suppose