• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 7:27 pm
May 24, 2007
364 posts
366 upvotes
Kelowna
kanewtz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:02 pm
I'm more interested in the 2GB of RAM in a small form factor to side load KODI onto....my GNP sometimes buffers/lags trying to run Kodi.
Plus, I'd like a small device to run Kodi in my bedroom.

I do have a VPN and such and could use HBO NOW I suppose
My original Fire TV still runs Kodi fine. The only buffering I ever run into is due to the stream I'm pulling or if I haven't run it in a long while and there is updates happening on the backend either in Kodi or the Fire TV. Otherwise it runs really well to be honest.

Had some issues with my Fire Stick lately so reset it to factory and just have it plugged directly into my tv's USB port so it's always rebooted when I start the tv. Takes a minute for it to start up but runs well once fully up. Guessing the newer second gen will run that much nicer.
Jan 8, 2016
29 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
tpirovol wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:59 pm
Did this work?

Irrelevant to me because I never purchased the Firestick TV. Amazon support sent me these instructions for the Fire Stick TV when I asked for instructions on how to make my Fire TV Box work with Amazon Prime Canada. Some posters asked me for the instructions and so I posted them.

What I do know, after much aggravation - the Amazon Fire TV Box (purchased in the US) denies Canadian IP addresses and is inoperable in Canada ( at least in its natural state - some users may have funky modem based workarounds with VPN services).

But according to every Amazon tech person I spoke to, Firestick TV being advertised on Amazon.ca, and the subject of this originating thread, will absolutely play Canadian Prime Canada content.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7044 posts
943 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hexxed wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:35 pm
My original Fire TV still runs Kodi fine. The only buffering I ever run into is due to the stream I'm pulling or if I haven't run it in a long while and there is updates happening on the backend either in Kodi or the Fire TV. Otherwise it runs really well to be honest.

Had some issues with my Fire Stick lately so reset it to factory and just have it plugged directly into my tv's USB port so it's always rebooted when I start the tv. Takes a minute for it to start up but runs well once fully up. Guessing the newer second gen will run that much nicer.
its mostly a ++1 to amp device. it may run into issues of a tv's usb which at best would only be 1 amp(if its a tv that clearly states 1 amp for external) but most likely its only just .5amp port which is basic usb. .

The second gen is a quad vs first gen that is a dual core. 1 amp is barely enough you should stick with the charger that came with it(2.0 amp) which is of above grade build quality anyway. I ran the first gen off the tv's usb and had too many hiccups to bother. The only player I have used that seemed to run off only .5 amp was the raspberry zero.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9157 posts
1599 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:08 am
One reason I kept the Nexus Player is that the OS is updated regularly, unlike the Mi Box, The Nexus took the 8.0 upgrade weeks ago and now we are looking at the 8.1 update shortly. Too bad Google never made an updated version of that box but I do like how they still support it...
How are you finding the experience? I actually preferred the interface on 7. But I haven't used the UP NEXT or whatever it's called feature, it has nothing showing, not sure if that is only for IPTV usage, etc. But, nothing else has changed other than updating to Oreo and I find Kodi now, 17.5 does not pick up as well, more buffering, clicking links that work on my Mibox don't work on this. Netflix still works fine though.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Sep 25, 2004
27 posts
8 upvotes
bubbabooie wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:22 pm
I spent a good junk of my evening working with Amazon support. I have an Amazon TV box, purchased in the U.S., that could not access Amazon Prime Canada. When I saw the Amazon Fire Stick go on sale in Canada today, I got excited thinking my Amazon Fire TV box may now work. So I IM'd tech support and after approx 4o mins of IM'ing got confirmation it would work and was sent instructions but they were geared towards Amazon Fire Stick and not my Amazon TV box. So I emailed and very specifically asked will my Amazon TV box now work in Canada. A different tech support person emailed back - NO. In that email was a survey which I completed negatively and at the end it asked do you want a call. I did the survey and said yes. Got a call within seconds and rep had no idea what my issue was. Labored with an explanation. They said my Fire TV box won't work in Canada. I said I was able to watch 4 episodes of Goliath before i got error messages and could no longer watch content. I maintained that if I could watch 4 episodes of a show with my Amazon TV box in Canada before it crapped out, there must be a fix. She went to another tech person who said I was correct. After a great deal of time with this person, she reversed her position and said that my Amazon TV box would not work in Canada but would put me to a US Amazon TV support person. Started over with a US rep. She said would change regional settings and after much back and forth holds, said it could not be done bla bla bal US IP bla bla bla. I have spent probably 5 hours or more trying to get Amazon tech support to confirm my Amazon TV box will work with my Amazon Prime Canada membership. Short version - NO! But if you purchase the Amazon Firestick from Amazon.ca, it will. Albeit no 4k, and less memory and tech admitted sometimes have to disable Dolby DTS if have sound issues. I suggested to Tech support if Amazon wants to win the war of critical mass, make it easy to access their content. If they now have a Cdn Firestick TV that provides Cdn Prime Content, with diminished service as compared to Fire TV box, why not have Cdn firmware upgrades to make Fire TV box be able to access Cdn content. For a co. that prides itself on customer service. they are beyond stupid. And tech support has mastered the art of saying, I'm, sorry. Pleeeaase, stop patronizing me and provide a basic service. Amazon, you are missing the boat.
I have two FireTVs (gen1 & 2) bought from US, and Canadian Prime. I feel your pain as I tried everything, including VPN, to no avail.

But, I do have it working now. What you do is make sure your devices show up under your Canadian Amazon ID (ie, log in your devices under your Canadian Amazon ID). In Prime Video, you will then have option to cast to your devices. Just use your phone, tablet, PC to run Amazon Prime and play to your devices. It works perfectly :).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9157 posts
1599 upvotes
Is there an actual Amazon prime video app for these devices, rather than casting?
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14690 posts
18299 upvotes
ONTARIO
jackass_ca wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:23 pm
Is there an actual Amazon prime video app for these devices, rather than casting?
yes
Oct 16, 2014
42 posts
5 upvotes
Timmins, ON
BobSagget wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:06 pm
Yes, the preinstalled Amazon Prime Video app on the Shield will give you access to the same content Canadians get from PrimeVideo.com
You can also sideload a second Prime Video app to access US Prime VIdeo content (as long as you use a VPN or smart DNS).

I would bet that this 'Basic Edition' Fire Stick will come with the same copy of Prime Video that comes on the Shield. Sort of like the "international" version, that gives you content based on your location. Not tethered to the US like the version on the US Fire TV/Stick.
Minus the 4K content anyway.
I dont have a US prime account. will Canadian prime+vpn give me US prime video access as well?
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14690 posts
18299 upvotes
ONTARIO
lock1nout wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:13 pm
I dont have a US prime account. will Canadian prime+vpn give me US prime video access as well?
It should. Prime Video works the same way as Netflix does.
If you're only Prime through Amazon.ca and you happen to be traveling in the US, the Prime Video content would default to the US Prime Video.
However it depends on the app itself.

I know with the Shield, I need to have 2 separate Amazon Video apps installed. The one accesses the Canadian prime and the other is locked to the US. The US one is usable only after I turn on a smart DNS or VPN.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14222 posts
3145 upvotes
Wiseman wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:36 am
Just buy the OTG to Ethernet adapter. I got one and it works great.
You don't need the OTG cable anymore, not since OS 6 or 7. I use an adapter I got from China for 25 cents some months ago. It goes from mini USB male to standard USB female. Then plug in an Ethernet adapter or hub and Ethernet adapter. Works great either way. You can (of course) use mini to regular USB cables as well...
Jan 11, 2009
376 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
DougO wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:14 pm
You don't need the OTG cable anymore, not since OS 6 or 7. I use an adapter I got from China for 25 cents some months ago. It goes from mini USB male to standard USB female. Then plug in an Ethernet adapter or hub and Ethernet adapter. Works great either way. You can (of course) use mini to regular USB cables as well...

now all that is left is for me to hop into my time machine and go to target when they were clearing out their Nexus Players for $25. :)
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14222 posts
3145 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:15 pm
How are you finding the experience? I actually preferred the interface on 7. But I haven't used the UP NEXT or whatever it's called feature, it has nothing showing, not sure if that is only for IPTV usage, etc. But, nothing else has changed other than updating to Oreo and I find Kodi now, 17.5 does not pick up as well, more buffering, clicking links that work on my Mibox don't work on this. Netflix still works fine though.
Been using Terrarium TV instead of Kodi and IPTV I mostly use for Canadian channels and the BBC news. With speeds of 40 to 60 Mbps, there isn't any buffering using those sources. Netflix I don't have, so I can't tell...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8072 posts
1262 upvotes
kevf wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:18 pm
I have two FireTVs (gen1 & 2) bought from US, and Canadian Prime. I feel your pain as I tried everything, including VPN, to no avail.

But, I do have it working now. What you do is make sure your devices show up under your Canadian Amazon ID (ie, log in your devices under your Canadian Amazon ID). In Prime Video, you will then have option to cast to your devices. Just use your phone, tablet, PC to run Amazon Prime and play to your devices. It works perfectly :).
Will try this on the weekend with my old Amazon box. Would love to get it working.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13433 posts
4239 upvotes
Gatineau
If you all ever run into someone selling .EDU student email accounts, your best bet would be to snag one of them quickly. I purchased one for $5 USD almost 2 years ago (Jan 2016). Used it to purchase an Amazon Prime Student U.S. account for $49 USD / year (all the benefits of a normal U.S. prime membership but at 50% of the price).

Has been working great with my 1st Gen Amazon Fire TV as I do not need to use any prime video app, as I can navigate/search for any prime video content right from the AFTV main screen.

djino