Computers & Electronics

Fire TV stick now available in Canada $49.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 12:36 pm
Member
Nov 22, 2012
379 posts
119 upvotes
VANCOUVER
jonnyk9 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:04 am
I have a fire TV stick and gen 1 and gen 2 boxes. I used to love them but they are becoming so sluggish. Their updates get pushed and it really slows them down. And I think you need to root to stop the auto updates. It's really becoming unbearable. I'm hoping to invest in the Nvidia Shield.
I disagree about the Fire TV 4K box.

It has not slowed down one bit... and I'm a self professed power user that pushes the box to the limits. I have a shield on order, but for other reasons, namely to play 4K 10bit HEVC.

The sticks, however, will always be slow.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
7150 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
jonnyk9 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:04 am
I have a fire TV stick and gen 1 and gen 2 boxes. I used to love them but they are becoming so sluggish. Their updates get pushed and it really slows them down. And I think you need to root to stop the auto updates. It's really becoming unbearable. I'm hoping to invest in the Nvidia Shield.
anything with only 8gb of nand gets sluggish when it fills up but its really bad on android devices because basically half the nand is taken up by os. If you have kodi installed make sure you use a maintenance cleaner and clean all the temp files/cache and especially old thumbs. This gets real bad if you use addons as they scrape while you browse.

Also Uninstall any apps you don't use or clear their cache in app settings. The goal free up space

eg# Disable and clear the firetv HD image screen savior you don't need it nor even need to waste your bandwidth downloading random hd photos that fill up.
Member
Aug 8, 2008
262 posts
61 upvotes
I contacted Amazon support regarding Fire TV and Prime Video in Canada.

He said that only the FireTV that is currently sold in Canada will support Prime Video. However the issue has been escalated for US bought Fire TV's and should be fixed in a future upgrade. (no date as of yet)
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1375 posts
358 upvotes
BC
shopper-X wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:07 pm
Here is what I did without a VPN or SmartDNS.
1. Create US Amazon account
2. Logout and back in to FireTV (I have a Gen 1 box, non-stick version)
3. With in your US Amazon account, add a credit card with a US Address and set as your default (CAREFUL: this will change you Canadian account default as well)
4. Now navigate to "Your Content and Devices"
5. Click "Settings" and change your "Country" to "United States"

I did this and it works for me and it's a YMMV solution.

Image
I followed your link to amazon.com. It had "Your Content", but not the three tabs like you have shown. When I go to amazon.ca, it had the three tabs you display with my country set to Canada.

You don't have Amazon.com prime, though, just Canadian prime, right? I just have Canadian Prime.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2003
4495 posts
517 upvotes
SK
Timbo420 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 7:10 pm
I followed your link to amazon.com. It had "Your Content", but not the three tabs like you have shown. When I go to amazon.ca, it had the three tabs you display with my country set to Canada.

You don't have Amazon.com prime, though, just Canadian prime, right? I just have Canadian Prime.
I only have Canadian Prime, never had US Prime.
Newbie
Nov 28, 2017
1 posts
I just registered my US bought fire stick with my Canadian prime account. I just reset it from my US account, and then added it to my Canadian devices...voila! It’s streaming like it should. And I’m not even a techie
Member
User avatar
Feb 2, 2010
256 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
Chardonay wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:59 pm
I just registered my US bought fire stick with my Canadian prime account. I just reset it from my US account, and then added it to my Canadian devices...voila! It’s streaming like it should. And I’m not even a techie
I think I've done the same thing so many times but no luck. Could you explain more please?
Member
Aug 8, 2008
262 posts
61 upvotes
I tried same and still no luck. In the US firestick version there is a location setting and its asking for ZIPCODE and no option to put letters for postal code. I don't think without a firmware update this can work.
Newbie
Sep 16, 2010
68 posts
8 upvotes
I am interested in the Canadian Firestick for hotel use etc. Those times when they have the popup window after entering the password and can't use my Chromecast. Is it worth the purchase or can you recommend a better Device?

Thanks in advance
Newbie
May 11, 2005
92 posts
8 upvotes
does prime video work on your firetv 4k box in canada?

It doesn't on mine, even though prime video is now available in canada.
b31770 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:08 am
I disagree about the Fire TV 4K box.

It has not slowed down one bit... and I'm a self professed power user that pushes the box to the limits. I have a shield on order, but for other reasons, namely to play 4K 10bit HEVC.

The sticks, however, will always be slow.
Newbie
Jul 9, 2008
10 posts
Btw, just lunch Prime Video app on your US fire stick to watch Prime Video Canada
Newbie
Sep 16, 2010
68 posts
8 upvotes
Well, i pulled the trigger. If you have Prime it is now on sale for $34.99. So, i figure its worth trying it out.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by burley99 on Dec 10th, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added sceenshot

Top