• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 7:27 pm
Jun 29, 2015
200 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BobSagget wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:11 pm
I would put money on Prime Video already being available on the device. The app basically already exists.
On the Nvidia Shield, the Amazon Video app that comes preinstalled works with multiple countries. If you're in Canada, you see only the available content from PrimeVideo.com.

So I would think they could essentially just use the same exact app and have it preinstalled on this new "international" Fire Stick.
I would too, but since I don't have one and the app page doesn't show it, all I can do is speculate
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3008 posts
480 upvotes
GTA
This vs the mibox? Already have the mibox and was recommending it to friends but is the fire stick better?
Jan 11, 2009
380 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jarko wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:17 am
This vs the mibox? Already have the mibox and was recommending it to friends but is the fire stick better?

I believe the mibox is 2gb of ram, compared to the firestick's 1gb of ram. If youre gonna be using it for kodi, prime video, netflix then the firestick should suffice with the 1gb of ram. I also dont believe the mibox is officially available in Canada so you're looking at probably $100 CDN minimum as its $69 USD at walmart.com.
Mar 17, 2005
968 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Sham99 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:03 pm
Did you manage to make Amazon prime video .ca working in Canada without VPN on 2nd gen Stick ?

I have the first gen firetv. I use the prime video app on my phone and select my firetv as my player and it plays on my tv. I presume the stick is the same. Ideally prime video working directly on the tv is best but using the phone as a "remote" is fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1251 posts
177 upvotes
BC
Prefer the Fire TV.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7044 posts
944 upvotes
Winnipeg
jarko wrote:
mibox has better HW specs, the firestick is cheaper like 2 for the price of 1 mibox. If you don't need 4k res and no simple usb port then just grab a stick for half the money.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1296 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
I have this Kodi capable Fire Stick. It's served me well for the past 2 years. It's showing it's age though and it does buffer quite often...especially if you're streaming HD.
It cost me about $40 USD and paid itself off getting me through all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones and other HBO shows.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13718 posts
9214 upvotes
Toronto
malcom1666 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:02 pm
Similar product like google chrome cast?
Which one is better?
If you're planning to pickup a cheap Google Home Mini during Black Friday ($39), I'd go with the Chromecast. it'll integrate nicely with all the smart home stuff coming out.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Mar 4, 2009
366 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
I have one of these, works great for streaming content through Plex.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1400 posts
162 upvotes
Fredericton
jarko wrote:
I have a mibox and the Android TV OS's issue with framerate hitching is annoying me enough to try this. It's just for Kodi so I'm assuming it'll handle it well enough. Worst case scenario, I return it to Amazon.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
I have Fire stick 2nd gen, the new Fire TV, and nvidia Shield. Skip the Fire stick and get the Fire TV. The new Fire TV works as good/fast as the Shield.
Jan 11, 2009
380 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bose wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:17 am
I have Fire stick 2nd gen, the new Fire TV, and nvidia Shield. Skip the Fire stick and get the Fire TV. The new Fire TV works as good/fast as the Shield.

do you have the firetv (gen 3 - dongle) or the firetv (gen 2 - set top box)??

Ive used the 1st gen stick, 2nd gen stick, and I am currently using the 2nd gen firetv (box) and even though I have no complaints, wondering if there is any pro to upgrading to the 3rd gen firetv (dongle) .... I use it for Kodi only.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15663 posts
4417 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
remik wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:28 am
I believe the mibox is 2gb of ram, compared to the firestick's 1gb of ram. If youre gonna be using it for kodi, prime video, netflix then the firestick should suffice with the 1gb of ram. I also dont believe the mibox is officially available in Canada so you're looking at probably $100 CDN minimum as its $69 USD at walmart.com.
the mibox is available in Canada via Amazon and other retailers. You're talking about the US spec mibox which is only available at walmart in the US.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
remik wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:24 am
do you have the firetv (gen 3 - dongle) or the firetv (gen 2 - set top box)??

Ive used the 1st gen stick, 2nd gen stick, and I am currently using the 2nd gen firetv (box) and even though I have no complaints, wondering if there is any pro to upgrading to the 3rd gen firetv (dongle) .... I use it for Kodi only.
I have the dongle one. I'm using it for SPMC and Terrarium TV.
Feb 10, 2013
40 posts
115 upvotes
Etobicoke
save your money to buy Nvidia Shield, that's the fastest one.