• Jun 13th, 2017 3:57 pm
[OP]
Mar 9, 2013
155 posts
64 upvotes
Kitchener

[Amazon Canada] Fisher Space Pen with Clip, Gift Boxed $21

Hi RFD,

Been waiting for a sale on the Fisher Space Pen, so I placed a tracker on Camelx3. Just got an alert today that priced dropped to $21. Seems like a historical low.

I've given this to people as gifts before, and feedback seem positive. It's not the best pen ever, but it's incredibly reliable and versatile.

Bought a couple for myself and thought it's worth a share.

NOTE: there's a just launched seller listing it for $9.27, don't select it. Buy from Amazon.ca for $21.
Images
  • untitled.png
8 replies
Jan 26, 2014
826 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I guess it's cheap, but I would have thought the $1,000,000 development cost would have been paid off by now.
Dec 10, 2012
630 posts
289 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Its only benefit is to be used in space (pressurized ink), what's the market share of astronauts. Patents are for 20 year term, interesting there are few alternatives.

I bought one long time ago and found it was not smooth at all. Writing instruments are based on individual preferences. I actually prefer medium Parker pen refills.

2.39 for 10 off ebay.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10309 posts
1502 upvotes
Ottawa
thanks OP. It's a good type of pen to keep in my wife's purse. Whenever we need a pen, we pull out the one in her purse but it doesn't write. I noticed the matte black is $18.50 as well
Oct 31, 2014
196 posts
84 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Thanks OP.
Just a heads up, the link in the OP links to one for $9.xx that is listed by a new seller with zero ratings (scammer),
Aug 1, 2005
826 posts
19 upvotes
Burnaby
I've owned several of these for years. FYI the pocket clips constantly fall off. If you're actually using the clip on your pocket, you'll likely lose the clip and the pen will fall into the bottom of your pocket. I've heard of some success with gluing the clips but I haven't tried it.

The ink smudges even after a long wait. It seems the specialized ink they use doesn't dry quickly, and the way the ink is dispensed leaves excess amounts at times that smudge easily. Game over if you're left handed and rest your palm on what you've written. You'll also notice that the ink does not come out uniformly, so the lines you make will often have small gaps.

If you're still interested, note the chrome finish is best and most grippy. All the colour matte finishes are extremely slick. I would only recommend these pens to someone who works outdoors in the rain constantly and needs ink that doesn't bleed. (You'd also need Rite In The Rain waterproof paper)
Jun 14, 2011
87 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
sirxterminator wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 6:06 am
Its only benefit is to be used in space (pressurized ink), what's the market share of astronauts.
You never write in bed holding a clip board over your head? :)

Fine, there's probably more astronauts than people in that category.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10309 posts
1502 upvotes
Ottawa
thanks OP. Got the pen. Noticed it's back up to over $30 now.

this pen will stay in wife's purse....I'm sick of pens that stop working whenever we actually NEED one. Sometimes you just need a pen to scribble down stuff quickly
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1339 posts
593 upvotes
omegadivide wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 5:41 am
I guess it's cheap, but I would have thought the $1,000,000 development cost would have been paid off by now.
Should have just done with the Russian cosmonauts did and used a pencil