[Amazon Canada] Franklin Stud Finder 49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 5:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2017
85 posts
154 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Franklin Stud Finder 49.99

Franklin Stud Finder 710 at historical low on Amazon.ca. Very highly rated - 4.5 stars with 3000 reviews on the US site.

CanadianTire also has this for same price.
52 replies
Jan 3, 2012
579 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Willing to try this one, given the good reviews and ongoing disappointments with those cheaper generic Chinese knockoffs or even my previous Stanley branded ones from Crappy Tire. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1545 posts
351 upvotes
Montreal
This has been very useful for me in DIY projects. Great tool. Good price.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1062 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
This Franklin studfinder is THE BEST stud finder I have ever used.
Mar 22, 2013
535 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
Who needs a stud finder? I’m right here guys!
Apr 9, 2012
328 posts
223 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 2:01 pm
I was looking for a stud finder and saw this for $15.40, also 4.5 stars and more than 8,000 US reviews:

https://www.amazon.ca/CH-Hanson-03040-M ... NVQQG8FDKA

So, if stars/reviews are a good indication of quality, why would I buy the $50 item over this one? Does it also make coffee and smoothies? ;)
You could read about both on their web pages to learn of their features.

The CH-Hanson that you posted is basically just a magnet with levels. It is just looking for drywall screws or nails, not studs. So it MUST find a drywall screw for it to "work". The Franklin type detects a wood or metal stud by scanning changes in the drywall depth, so it doesn't even need drywall screws to be in the vicinity or at all. Two different tools.

You'd have a lot more work to do to ACCURATELY find studs (& their centers) with the CH-Hanson, especially on walls where screws are spaced far apart. The CH-Hanson also may be off the stud center mark or even off the stud, as if the person setting the drywall screws say hits the edge of the stud or even misses the stud, then your stud finding will be incorrect.

The Franklin type tells you were the edges of the stud & where the center of the stud are. The CH cannot do that, as it relies totally on the position of the drywall screws being correct, which they often are not. The CH-Hanson may be fine where drywall was installed by a pro but could be a nightmare for finding studs & screws installed by an inexperienced or horrible DIYer.
Last edited by Mtnviewer on Jan 21st, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2488 posts
1013 upvotes
Montreal
Is this the same one Costco occasionally has for around 30-35$? Looks the same, maybe different color
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2795 posts
1142 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
I wish they were a bit more digital but I guess I'm too techie. All the digital ones I checked on fakespot had like 90-100% fake reviews.
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Oct 30, 2012
950 posts
260 upvotes
Hamilton
daviiiiiid wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 2:38 pm
Is this the same one Costco occasionally has for around 30-35$? Looks the same, maybe different color
Yeah this is same as Precision 5000 from Costco
Jul 10, 2009
73 posts
69 upvotes
Ontario
I have the Franklin and agree it's great. The only downside is that it does not detect wires ...so you may want to hold onto your old studfinders (that can detect live wires) and use it as a second pass after the franklin.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10156 posts
1928 upvotes
I have the Franklin, works well, got it for $39.99 last year at CT...
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.