Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Fujifilm XF200mm F2 R LM OIS WR - $6,116.31

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 3:27 pm
Jan 29, 2010
514 posts
328 upvotes
Thanks OP! Picked some up for Christmas stockings.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11751 posts
5829 upvotes
Southern Ontario
CanadaCPU wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:37 pm
If you think that is good (and it is), you should see what a 200/2 does for bokeh on a full frame camera Face Screaming In Fear Attached to a Fuji you are getting the DOF equivalent of ~F2.8 with that lens. I don't mean any of that as a negative, the lens is amazing, but the physics surrounding FF sensors will show you what a 200/2 is really capable of and your DOF will be a true F2.
The pic he quoted is 200/2 on full frame (Canon).

You're right, it's an amazing look, FF 200/2 compression creating a buttery bokeh like a long exposure sky through ND, even if it's jagged rocks:
https://500px.com/photo/149951399/Land- ... id=1161015
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1656 posts
661 upvotes
Not to start a bokeh war here, but from my research the amount of blur doesn't really depend on the size of the sensor, it mostly depends on the lens aperture (focal length divided by the f-number; for telephoto lenses this is pretty much the diameter of the front element). What will be different with a larger sensor is that it can take in more of the background, for a given subject framing (say, full height shot of a child), which can often produce stronger "wow!" effect. But probably not with a 200mm f2.0 lens, as the background will usually be blurred to the point of being non-recognizable, so the fact that a FF sensor will include more of this blurred background will be a minor point.

In short - 200mm f2.0 lenses exist to nuke background (when used as a portrait lens), and they do that pretty much the same way on FF and crop sensors. Of course, one has to be even further away from your subject with a crop camera (for the same framing) - this is probably the biggest negative aspect.

Once (years ago) I was so obsessed with the amount of background blur in portraits that I even wrote a special software for this - Bokeh Calculator (https://www.physics.mcmaster.ca/~syam/Photo/bokeh.html). I am much less into this now, and usually prefer my blurred background to be recognizable. My 135mm f2.0L lens + full frame camera (6D) work perfectly for me in this regard.