[Amazon Canada] Garmin Trail Handheld GPS Navigator upto 50% off

Garmin Trail Handheld GPS Navigator

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-01508- ... B00542NV32
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3715 posts
323 upvotes
While the price is decent the feature line and age would have me wanting more.

If I am actually that far out in the bush I want more features. If not then I just use my phone.

My biggest issue with my current hand held is screen is so small and dated that the maps are not easy to read so I use it more for a trail tracker then for a map. Aka if I need to back track when I am lost.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Jun 16, 2012
287 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto. ON
Max_Dealing wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:27 am
While the price is decent the feature line and age would have me wanting more.

If I am actually that far out in the bush I want more features. If not then I just use my phone.

My biggest issue with my current hand held is screen is so small and dated that the maps are not easy to read so I use it more for a trail tracker then for a map. Aka if I need to back track when I am lost.
well if you wanted more, on that same page the etrex 30 is on for 169.99 which IMO is a way better bang for the buck compared to the eTrek 10. I think you can use it as a auto navigation, where the etrex 10 cannot if i'm not mistaken. am so tempted, after my Garmin Dakota 20 bricked on me years ago. Worked flawlessly and such pinpoint accuracy until it bricked on me for no reason after 2 years of occasional use.

Garmin E-trex 30

The only bummer is the compatibility, or lack thereof, with Navionics. Though if what I read was true, Garmin has acquired Navionics and am sure will morph the maps together. Is probably why the fire sale on the older Garmin stuff.

Garmin acquires Navionics...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3715 posts
323 upvotes
DealyMcCheapskate wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:19 am
The only bummer is the compatibility, or lack thereof, with Navionics. Though if what I read was true, Garmin has acquired Navionics
You can load third party topo maps onto garmin like google map as long as they are formatted correctly. It's been a long time since I messed with it but recall it was as easy as replacing the image on the garmin unit while plugged into a computer. You would have to look it up. I would start by finding out the extension on the maps in the garmin then googling
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Jun 16, 2012
287 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto. ON
Max_Dealing wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:28 pm
You can load third party topo maps onto garmin like google map as long as they are formatted correctly. It's been a long time since I messed with it but recall it was as easy as replacing the image on the garmin unit while plugged into a computer. You would have to look it up. I would start by finding out the extension on the maps in the garmin then googling
yeah I did the same with topo maps with my Dakota 20. When that bricked, I bought the Navionics app for my phone and used the sonar charts for shore fishing and the odd ice fishing trip. I'd rather not use my phone, and buy a handheld GPS, but only if its compatible and able to download a version of Navionics, that won't break the bank. Like I said, guessing you'll see a firesale on older garmin products that aren't compatible with Navionics, now that they acquired Navionics