Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

GE 45609WB Z-Wave On/Off Switch (12722) $40.88

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 2:29 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
flex_186 wrote: I bought the Leviton Z-wave plus from Amazon a couple months ago. I have the old Z-wave ones as well. The new Z-wave plus ones is a rocker type switch. Press up for on, down for off. The older model ones I have are one button for on/off.
That's correct, I guess they listened to the customer feedback :)
May 25, 2013
180 posts
28 upvotes
flex_186 wrote: I bought the Leviton Z-wave plus from Amazon a couple months ago. I have the old Z-wave ones as well. The new Z-wave plus ones is a rocker type switch. Press up for on, down for off. The older model ones I have are one button for on/off.

I got the New Leviton Z-wave plus.
I have to keep hitting the refresh button on the Smartthings App cuz it keeps showing as unavailable on my Samsung smartthings app.
is anyone having the same issue?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4776 posts
5069 upvotes
East GTA
freshwater4ever wrote: I got the New Leviton Z-wave plus.
I have to keep hitting the refresh button on the Smartthings App cuz it keeps showing as unavailable on my Samsung smartthings app.
Filp the switch on and off in your electrical panel and it should refresh it.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
1030 posts
488 upvotes
Markham
freshwater4ever wrote: I got the New Leviton Z-wave plus.
You can also use the ST app to repair the z-wave mesh network.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Hobbesgsr wrote: You can also use the ST app to repair the z-wave mesh network.
Yeah, I would start there as well
Jan 10, 2007
231 posts
120 upvotes
I decided to buy one. Thanks OP! It went up in price a little. It's now $41.31. Oh well, still a great deal
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
I am still confused though i guess if i plan to automate my entire house this is the way to go? I am 1/2 done my basement (1 switch, 1 light, just need to address my potlights soon 4 switches) done my entire downstairs for lights/tv 12 lights 1 wall switch). just have the upstairs to go

Can i buy insignia switches and eventually move them over to smarthings if some problem crops up? the insignia app and GH integration has been pretty easy to set rooms etc up.
Aug 15, 2005
112 posts
161 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
dreaderus wrote: I am still confused though i guess if i plan to automate my entire house this is the way to go? I am 1/2 done my basement (1 switch, 1 light, just need to address my potlights soon 4 switches) done my entire downstairs for lights/tv 12 lights 1 wall switch). just have the upstairs to go

Can i buy insignia switches and eventually move them over to smarthings if some problem crops up? the insignia app and GH integration has been pretty easy to set rooms etc up.
Most WiFi devices are mainly used only with that manufacturer's equipment. You can use Insignia lights and switches, but can't add say a Schlage door lock or Nest thermometer or lights from another manufacturer.

Hub based systems will work with a much wider variety of types of equipment from many different manufacturers using standardized protocols (usually at least Zwave and Zigbee), plus supported WiFi devices.
They can be better if you want more than just lighting and power, such as door locks, garage doors, window/door sensors, smoke alarms, leak sensors, motion detectors, doorbells, cameras, etc., or want to have automation features other than app and voice control and simple on/off scheduling that your current app provides. Advanced features hubs can provide may include triggering other devices based on activity (if door unlocks after dark, turn on the foyer light), extensive scheduling based on trigger conditions, timers based on a trigger condition (if bathroom light turns off, turn off bathroom fan after 5 minutes), etc.

With a more open hub based system, you can mix and match the products from different manufacturers you like based on looks, functionality, availability, or price, rather than be stuck with only one manufacturer's switches and lights.
Particularly for lights, Zigbee lights are usually much cheaper to get than WiFi enabled lights.

Most hub systems will only have support for common WiFi systems whose manufacturers have made their protocol/API available for developers. Hence things such as Nest, Ecobee, Ring, etc. may be devices supported by a hub but most "no-name" or "house" brand WiFi devices aren't supported (or don't have drivers). To answer your specific question, I don't believe Insignia has support on any of the common hubs - it doesn't even seem to have IFTTT support - lack of IFTTT support is usually an indication that the manufacturer doesn't have a third party API interface available for developers to integrate with their hubs. As such you likely won't be able to easily use your Insignia equipment with another hub later on if you do decide to expand past simple lighting and power control.

Most hub based systems also make it easy to integrate with other devices not directly supported through third party integration with IFTTT or Stringify. Thus even if your hub doesn't directly support a particular doorbell as a trigger, if your hub has IFTTT support and your doorbell has IFTTT support, you can still have them work together with IFTTT as the "glue" that ties the two systems together. Or you can trigger your lights based on receiving an email, or the weather, or almost anything you can think of if your devices support IFTTT.

To specifically answer your questions, I don't believe your Insignia switches will be able to be moved to a hub. I use Wink and they definitely aren't currently supported under Wink, I don't see anything in the SmartThings forums for device managers for this either, and it does not appear to have support for IFTTT either.

However, if you are happy with the app and voice support you have, and don't need to integrate other types of devices or do more complex automation, then your Insignia devices should be fine for you.
Feb 20, 2018
1 posts
If your garage door works with momentary switch (most of the garage doors work with this system) I think the best solution for you to check Thermomart for wifi garage door opener and it has following advantages,

1- Open and close your garage doors from anywhere in the world by your iOS or Android cellphone App on one page together
2- You don’t need to buy another remote opener for each garage , you can easily add unlimited remote opener with downloading the app on other cellphones or computers of your household to control your smart garage door
3-Voice Control – Works perfectly with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Google Nest, IFTTT
4-it has professional timer and history record too.