• Nov 14th, 2018 1:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4387 posts
1303 upvotes
Debtario

[Amazon Canada] Gerber E-Tool and Gorge Folding Shovel 48% Off $51.79

The Gerber E-Tool tri-fold shovel with serrated blade is on sale at amazon for ~$52, Historic low was $44 back in 2016.

Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Gerber-30-000075- ... B001JQ5YJ6

Made by Fiskars and is an updated/improved version of the US military folding shovel, features a fiberglass reinforced nylon handle and a steel blade that can be locked at 90 degrees and features a serrated edge. Folds up to about 9"x6" and folds out to roughly 2' long. A very solid product allegedly used by the USMC and Finnish military, excellent for car emergencies and camping, it will beat those wiggly aluminum car snow shovels any day (particularly for digging and chopping ice), and has been extensively tested to survive abuse. Make what you will of the original non-sale price, but either way these are not dollar store quality and the price/build quality reflects that. There is also a model with a fold out forged pick, but that one is not on sale.

The Gerber "Gorge" folding shovel is also on sale for $20, $10 cheaper than MEC and a dollar away from a historic low price according to CCC. It's heavier, not as compact, has has a telescoping handle and hammer function for driving tent pegs, but still a very solid product from the reviews.

Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Gerber-Gorge-Fold ... B000WZCSTO
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 7th, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited retailer name
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1927 posts
1522 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
How well does it hold up as a range? Smiling Face With Open MouthFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Yah I know different product but curious.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Oct 29, 2016
57 posts
71 upvotes
Markham, ON
I have no reason to buy this shovel but I want it so bad!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1168 posts
499 upvotes
GTA
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 8:21 am
How well does it hold up as a range? Smiling Face With Open MouthFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Yah I know different product but curious.
Anyone is a good cutting tool if its sharpen to hell and back.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jan 5, 2007
264 posts
107 upvotes
I'm thinking to have an emergency shovel in the car for winter. This would be overkill right? Nice shovel though.
May 30, 2016
86 posts
144 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Damm. I've wanted an e-tool for a while but I'm so broke right now and can't justify the purchase....
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
Any other good deals on a (cheaper) small, STRONG shovel for car use only?

I don't need the reduced size and weight of this but I want something strong and a full size shovel is too big. Most of these car / emergency shovels are built like crap and will quickly fail.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4387 posts
1303 upvotes
Debtario
Dex wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:41 am
I'm thinking to have an emergency shovel in the car for winter. This would be overkill right? Nice shovel though.
It depends on what overkill is to you. It's a small shovel, so if you have no need for space savings and light weight you could get by with just about any other "car" shovel for cheaper. Whatever you decide, It's good to have some kind of shovel because you never know if you'll need it, it could be something as simple as skidding onto the shoulder and getting stuck in the mud or snow.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4387 posts
1303 upvotes
Debtario
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:57 am

I don't need the reduced size and weight of this but I want something strong and a full size shovel is too big. Most of these car / emergency shovels are built like crap and will quickly fail.
For strength it seems the only route is getting a medium-sized shovel like the Bond LH015, I'm sure there's a few similar ones in Canada under various brands. I know when I bought my full sized Kobalt branded shovel at Lowes a few years ago they had a smaller D handle version complete with the same fiberglass shaft but much more car friendly. It wasn't cheap though ($20-30? almost the same price as the full sized shovel I was buying), and can't speak to its current price or availability.

It's silly how simple basic tools that have been around forever are such poor quality these days. I bought a "heavy duty" cultivator (the 4 pronged 90 degree pitchfork like thing, not the spinning tines type) and it's garbage, the welds went, the tines weren't sharp out of the factory, and the handle began to bend. Meanwhile a shovel and similar tool from the 70's (maybe 60's?) has kept going with only new handles required - which were simple to bolt on.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2040 posts
1126 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:57 am

Princess auto, under $20. I think it was $17 maybe less
Feb 25, 2003
307 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
I've seen the type of foldable shovels at Costco also. They bring them back for winter.
The problem with spending 50 on a shovel is that you'll never want to use it because it gets scratched up.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9402 posts
1488 upvotes
Toronto
Dex wrote:

Not overkill but you need a shovel to help with snow shoveling if your car is stuck. So this spade isn't large enough for that purpose.

I have a light , cheapy steel (aluminum?) One that's normal size but very light. In my trunk.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3746 posts
1612 upvotes
Canada
Dex wrote:
I keep this kit in the trunk. Still haven't opened it but I see tons of cars in the ditch between Edmonton and red deer so I figured might as well. https://www.canadiantire.ca/content/can ... 91617.html

My primary solution to an emergency is to use road side assistance which is included for free with the TD Visa Infinite but thankfully I haven't had to use it too often.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals