Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Globe Electric Receptacle 2 Outlet Child Safe Shock Guard with 2 Fast Charging USB Ports 3.1A, AC

[OP]
Apr 17, 2017
52 posts
20 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon Canada] Globe Electric Receptacle 2 Outlet Child Safe Shock Guard with 2 Fast Charging USB Ports 3.1A, AC

I was going to pull the trigger but read the reviews.

Just in case anyone is interested in trying their luck.

13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3974 posts
2161 upvotes
North York
how is this child safe?
How do I downvote this voting system?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2151 posts
239 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:25 am
how is this child safe?
It is Temper resistance (TR) rated.
King of the farm
Feb 14, 2012
44 posts
16 upvotes
Woodbridge
konsensei wrote:
how is this child safe?
There are built in covers that get pushed out of the way when a plug is pushed in. A bit of a PITA and almost sounds like its cracking every time you put something in.
Oct 17, 2010
854 posts
242 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
konsensei wrote:
how is this child safe?
there is plastic blocking the holes and it takes quite some effort (and likely both proper sized prongs) to plug things in.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1314 posts
392 upvotes
I have the child safe outlets throughout my entire house and they require a lot of effort in order to plug a power cord into it. When the outlets were brand new, I had to try at least 3 or 4 times before I successfully plugged the power cord in. I had to wiggle the prongs in order to get it in. After two years, the resistance in the plastic is a lot less and I am able to successfully plug in a power cord on the first try without even having to wiggle the power cord.

For the outlets that I rarely use, the resistance of the plastic is still there and it does require more effort in order to plug in a power cord.

In my opinion, these child safe outlets are NOT necessary as long as you teach your kids:
- to not put any foreign objects in them
- to use them only as intended
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Apr 2, 2009
11 posts
3 upvotes
vancouver
Current electrical code (since 2008) requires all new (or retrofit) outlets to be tamper (child) resistant. Despite the issues, they are an important safety improvement since no action is needed to prevent tampering (covers, etc).
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6520 posts
1976 upvotes
Markham
kennyt18 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:11 am
I have the child safe outlets throughout my entire house and they require a lot of effort in order to plug a power cord into it. When the outlets were brand new, I had to try at least 3 or 4 times before I successfully plugged the power cord in. I had to wiggle the prongs in order to get it in. After two years, the resistance in the plastic is a lot less and I am able to successfully plug in a power cord on the first try without even having to wiggle the power cord.

For the outlets that I rarely use, the resistance of the plastic is still there and it does require more effort in order to plug in a power cord.

In my opinion, these child safe outlets are NOT necessary as long as you teach your kids:
- to not put any foreign objects in them
- to use them only as intended
That's only the case if the if your two-prong plugs are slightly bent. My vacuum cleaner was like that but once I straightened the pins it's fine.

Three-prong plugs don't have this issue since the earth pin goes in first and releases the cover.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4622 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
These seem unreliable. Can someone point to a good manufacturer at a decent price for 1 or 2 pack on amazon or home depot. I'd like to get a few of these for the house.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
10621 posts
3796 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
A lot of comments about the usb ports failing.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2959 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
Got 8 from Walmart for $3 several months ago, put all in the wall, so far so good, who said they are bad?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2959 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
bug wrote: A lot of comments about the usb ports failing.
The failing are 2.1 A one, I bought a couple of them from Costco, both are failed, returned
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3306 posts
2531 upvotes
Toronto
Since the Tamper Resistant issue has been brought up, most people don't realize that you have to insert the prongs straight and equally before the shutters will move out of the way. If you try to insert a plug such that it's even at a slight angle, and one prong is pressing a shutter before another one, then it won't work (unless you use a lot of force, which essentially forces it in). Yes, it's still a little bit more effort compared to non-TR plugs, but you shouldn't need to use a lot of force. Straight-in, prongs going in equally...
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3974 posts
2161 upvotes
North York
konsensei wrote:
how is this child safe?
got downvoted because I asked a question. you people are pathetic
How do I downvote this voting system?