Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Google Home Hub ~ 7" Smart Display - $143.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2019 10:49 pm
Aug 27, 2013
55 posts
13 upvotes
BC
Any tips how to order from US Rakuten site from Canada?
I have parcel pickup in the states.
VPN for location.
I think my order is getting cancelled from the Canadian credit card.
Tried PayPal and it had to be a US PayPal.
Thanks for the help!
Nov 2, 2015
49 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but can anyone clarify the REASON why someone should buy this device? Real value added benefits that you cant have from already existing devices (phone, tablets, BT speakers)?

I already feel the proliferation of anti-privacy smart devices (listening mics and watching cameras) being planted by big corporations.

Amazes me when someone says buy because it is lower priced in Canada vs US or lowest ever... and 90% who have no requirement/ dont understand the real benefits, jump into a deal and buy stuffs.

Did not mean to offend anyones feeling/opinion - just sharing a thought. Cheers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Yurikaa350 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 1:19 am
VPN for location.
Thanks for the help!

Only surefire way to order is if you have an amerifriend who can order on your behalf with their CC, other wise it's very YMMV. I couldn't get any of my CCs to work even though I have a US billing address that works on most other purchases.
Feb 22, 2017
138 posts
47 upvotes
Yurikaa350 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 1:19 am
VPN for location.
Thanks for the help!
Change your address on your CC to your mailbox or whereever.
While VISA has a Secondary address field that most people use for American addresses I find on More strict sites changing the primary is better .
With AMEX same thing, as for MasterCard I don’t even think it has a secondary address spot so just change the primary.
I found especially the visa some other customer service reps don’t do it correctly, so I tend to get everything set up and process it with them while on the phone.
Once you get a rep that does it correctly, ask them to put notes on your account on how to do it as well as what the address is.
Ever since I got one of the better CS to add notes to my account with the info, I’ve never had it fail when I’ve called up and had them make the change.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1750 posts
817 upvotes
, ON
Lush78 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 8:36 am

I don't care if people know how I like my eggs or if I sleep on my stomach, back, or side.
At least “they” have your consent now if they ever interested spying on you.
lifeisfuneh wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 8:30 am
Yeah, everybody is interested in you too ....Face With Tears Of Joy
Well.....the thing is not everybody knows how to hack your devices. Only those ones who is interested in you and many others who are like minded. ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
HiddenEmailer wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 9:16 am
Change your address on your CC to your mailbox or whereever.
While VISA has a Secondary address field that most people use for American addresses I find on More strict sites changing the primary is better .
With AMEX same thing, as for MasterCard I don’t even think it has a secondary address spot so just change the primary.
I found especially the visa some other customer service reps don’t do it correctly, so I tend to get everything set up and process it with them while on the phone.
Once you get a rep that does it correctly, ask them to put notes on your account on how to do it as well as what the address is.
Ever since I got one of the better CS to add notes to my account with the info, I’ve never had it fail when I’ve called up and had them make the change.
Ok, but were you successful via this method purchasing from Rakuten or MassGenie? I have my US mailbox address as a secondary address on my Visas and have no issues with sites like BestBuy.com or Walmart.com, where you can't change the billing address from USA, but Rakuten and MassGenie do not take it / cancel it shortly after.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
4821 posts
1715 upvotes
remik wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 9:56 am
Ok, but were you successful via this method purchasing from Rakuten or MassGenie? I have my US mailbox address as a secondary address on my Visas and have no issues with sites like BestBuy.com or Walmart.com, where you can't change the billing address from USA, but Rakuten and MassGenie do not take it / cancel it shortly after.
Are you sure folks that you get any warranty service when purchasing that way?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
lifeisfuneh wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 10:08 am
Are you sure folks that you get any warranty service when purchasing that way?

There pretty much is no warranty when buying stuff from US via these "loopholes", it's a risk one takes to save a considerable amount of $ compared to purchasing it "officially" in Canada .

I have bought 100s of things this way from the US and have only been "burned" once where I bought an Honor phone that appeared to have a defective Wi-Fi antenna, luckily it was within the 30day return period with Amazon.com and I was only out $20 to ship it to US, otherwise it's been good.

Actually got lucky with my Lenovo Smart Display that I purchased in black Friday from the US, that has no issues compared to the numerous reports of people getting DOA or a "black screen" out of the box / few weeks later.
Apr 16, 2017
348 posts
222 upvotes
Pickering
ConnectMe wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 7:21 am
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but can anyone clarify the REASON why someone should buy this device? Real value added benefits that you cant have from already existing devices (phone, tablets, BT speakers)?

I already feel the proliferation of anti-privacy smart devices (listening mics and watching cameras) being planted by big corporations.

Amazes me when someone says buy because it is lower priced in Canada vs US or lowest ever... and 90% who have no requirement/ dont understand the real benefits, jump into a deal and buy stuffs.

Did not mean to offend anyones feeling/opinion - just sharing a thought. Cheers.
Hey! Good question, and I can give a few of my reasons why I was interested.

I didn't have an alarm clock outside of my phone, and this works great at the bedside. This smart display manages to dim the screen so much so that when the lights are out in the bedroom it hardly emits any light, so it doesn't affect my sleep. I've heard some bad reviews on other smart displays saying that the screen even at its dimmest is way too bright for the bedroom. It also feels better having a static device that I don't have to worry about setting the alarm volume on each night before I go to bed (like I did on my phone).

This is the only smart display built of Google's Cast OS and works wonders for acting as a small TV in the bedroom. That isn't to say you can't cast to other smart displays, but the OS feels...intentional. Whereas other smart displays just used a hobbled version of Android to achieve the same effect. I usually get into bed watch a show on my phone before I go to sleep, it's significantly nicer to have a slightly larger display, better speaker, and something that stays mounted in one position on my night table.

I've always appreciated Google's chromecast for its ability to cycle through some beautiful art/landscape photography on the TV as a screensaver and this display will do the same. It adds a splash of colour in the bedroom and the display has this really impressive ability with its ambient light sensor to perfectly match the light in the room. It never looks too dim or too bright, it looks strikingly close to a real photo in a frame. If I ever got around to properly managing my photo library from my Pixel 2XL, it can also cycle your personal albums.

I am one of those people who tend not to be great at getting out of bed in the morning, and always check the weather/traffic on the way to work to see if I can squeeze a couple extra minutes of sleep in. The display will give me all the same information at a moments notice without having to unlock my phone and blind myself trying to get the information.

I work in IT and tend to love getting my hands on new tech, and if I don't love it, I will recycle it on Kijiji. I keep things in good condition so that that process goes smoothly. I am married in a sense to the Google ecosystem when it comes to my other technology, and sometimes the price of convenience is worth the extra buck.

Those are the key reasons. It was a good price and that alone will cause a bit of a panic on here with the buy now think later mentality. But, that's sort of how these deal forums go :). Some people are more worried than others when it comes to privacy, and that's perfectly fine. I have my own ways of fighting that type of thing. I completely removed myself from social media, and locked down my network at home with a pfSense router and PiHole DNS server. So I get to more closely monitor what is talking on my network and how often, so I can feel a bit more comfortable knowing if and when these devices are phoning home. This smart display doesn't have a camera built into it, and that's always a plus when you are putting an always-connected device into the bedroom :D. If you're willing to trust it, there is also a dedicated button the back to completely turn off the microphone if you don't want it listening all the time.

I hope this helped provide a better understanding of why some individuals might purchase a device like this, and also helps give some information to those that are on the fence as to whether or not they should purchase one.
Last edited by Oogarr on Apr 23rd, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 26, 2016
55 posts
28 upvotes
Oogarr wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 12:14 pm
Hey! Good question, and I can give a few of my reasons why I was interested.

I didn't have an alarm clock outside of my phone, and this works great at the bedside. This smart display manages to dim the screen so much so that when the lights are out in the bedroom it hardly emits any light, so it doesn't affect my sleep. I've heard some bad reviews on other smart displays saying that the screen even at its dimmest is way too bright for the bedroom. It also feels better having a static device that I don't have to worry about setting the alarm volume on each night before I go to bed (like I did on my phone).

This is the only smart display built of Google's Cast OS and works wonders for acting as a small TV in the bedroom. That isn't to say you can't cast to other smart displays, but the OS feels...intentional. Whereas other smart displays just used a hobbled version of Android to achieve the same effect. I usually get into bed watch a show on my phone before I go to sleep, it's significantly nicer to have a slgihtly larger display, better speaker, and something that stays mounted in one position on my night table.

I've always appreciated Google's chromecast for its ability to cycle through some beautiful art/landscape photography on the TV as a screensaver and this display will do the same. It adds a splash of colour in the bedroom and the display has this really impressive ability with its ambient light sensor to perfectly match the light in the room. It never looks too dim or too bright, it looks strikingly close to a real photo in a frame. If I ever got around to properly managing my photo library from my Pixel 2XL, it can also cycle your personal albums.

I am one of those people who tend not to be great at getting out of bed in the morning, and always check the weather/traffic on the way to work to see if I can squeeze a couple extra minutes of sleep in. The display will give me all the same information at a moments notice without having to unlock my phone and blind myself trying to get the information.

I work in IT and tend to love getting my hands on new tech, and if I don't love it, I will recycle it on Kijiji. I keep things in good condition so that that process goes smoothly. I am married in a sense to the Google ecosystem when it comes to my other technology, and sometimes the price of convenience is worth the extra buck.

Those are the key reasons. It was a good price and that alone will cause a bit of a panic on here with the buy now think later mentality. But, that's sort of how these deal forums go :). Some people are more worried than others when it comes to privacy, and that's perfectly fine. I have my own ways of fighting that type of thing. I completely removed myself from social media, and locked down my network at home with a pfSense router and PiHole DNS server. So I get to more closely monitor what is talking on my network and how often, so I can feel a bit more comfortable knowing if and when these devices are phoning home. This smart display doesn't have a camera built into it, and that's always a plus when you are putting an always-connected device into the bedroom :D. If you're willing to trust it, there is also a dedicated button the back to completely turn off the microphone if you don't want it listening all the time.

I hope this helped provide a better understanding of why some individuals might purchase a device like this, and also helps give some information to those that are on the fence as to whether or not they should purchase one.
Really appreciated all detailed explanation/comments on this charming toy....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Lenovo Smart Display is sold out online at BestBuy.ca, you can still grab the GHH for less than the Lenovo.

Also something to consider is that there have been no reports of people getting a DOA unit of the GHH, same can't be said for the Lenovo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)