• May 22nd, 2019 10:49 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1732 posts
814 upvotes
, ON
Lush78 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:09 am
Am I a paranoid conspiracy theorist? No.
Are you part of “I am not a paranoid conspiracy theorist” conspiracy?

Get your head out of the sand and stop singing “everything is awesome” song too much. Lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
tatung wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 1:45 am
does the lenovo run the same software as this? if it does, is does it get regular updates or does it lag behind the home hub?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/1 ... e-instead/

"The company says the Assistant interface is the same regardless of what OS is used underneath, so in the end, most buyers probably won't notice anything different."

Price has gone down a smidge to $141.30
Last edited by remik on Apr 14th, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 21, 2011
120 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Grabbed at 140. Replaced a regular home in the bedroom with it because I needed a clock, and the home will get repurposed for another room. Doesnt sound as nice as the home but fine for the bedroom. Display gets impressively dim.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Dictate wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:58 am
Grabbed at 140. Replaced a regular home in the bedroom with it because I needed a clock, and the home will get repurposed for another room. Doesnt sound as nice as the home but fine for the bedroom. Display gets impressively dim.
$140 is the cheapest it's been according to 3C. I think people are going too crazy about the "free" GHM from Spotify to realize how good of a deal this really is, cheaper than in the US, where we normally get screwed. I got 4 GHMs myself as part of the promo, people who don't have a need for that many GHMs can easily flip them for $40-45 and use the profit to get the GHH.

Yes, at first it got "too dim" at night where I could not even see the clock face, then I adjusted the minimum screen brightness from "dim" to "bright" now when when I go to sleep is visible to see at night but not as bright like most alarm clocks where is "illuminates" the room.
Jun 21, 2011
120 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:05 am
$140 is the cheapest it's been according to 3C. I think people are going too crazy about the "free" GHM from Spotify to realize how good of a deal this really is, cheaper than in the US, where we normally get screwed. I got 4 GHMs myself as part of the promo, people who don't have a need for that many GHMs can easily flip them for $40-45 and use the profit to get the GHH.

Yes, at first it got "too dim" at night where I could not even see the clock face, then I adjusted the minimum screen brightness from "dim" to "bright" now when when I go to sleep is visible to see at night but not as bright like most alarm clocks where is "illuminates" the room.
IMO the mini doesn't sound great, but then again I'm on 3 regular homes and a max, and I've been using them for multi room audio for a while. The mini should only really be paired with a bluetooth speaker of better quality and used for voice control. The hub sounds better than the mini for sure.

Thanks for the tip on the display brightness, I'll give it a try tonight. I did find it was too dim this morning when waking up, but overnight it was almost perfect. Bright might be good. As long as it's not piercing like the red of green of alarm clocks past, it should be fine. If it works out I might have to grab another for the kitchen.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Dictate wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 10:11 am
IMO the mini doesn't sound great, but then again I'm on 3 regular homes and a max, and I've been using them for multi room audio for a while. The mini should only really be paired with a bluetooth speaker of better quality and used for voice control. The hub sounds better than the mini for sure.

Thanks for the tip on the display brightness, I'll give it a try tonight. I did find it was too dim this morning when waking up, but overnight it was almost perfect. Bright might be good. As long as it's not piercing like the red of green of alarm clocks past, it should be fine. If it works out I might have to grab another for the kitchen.
Nope, it's perfect at "bright" , with it at default "dim" I could not see it at all at night, there is a "very bright" feature, that will illuminate the room more like the basic LED alarm clock.

In terms of speaker quality I find the Hub falls between the Mini and the regular GH. I really like it, @$140 I am really tempted to get another Hub and sell my Lenovo for it. I don't have use for the camera as I do not know anyone who uses Duo and I find the Home Hub to be more "sleek and sexy", if you can use those words to describe an electronic? :)
Sep 13, 2015
953 posts
802 upvotes
Alberta
I only wish google would allow me to program the alarm clock for a shift worker schedule... Not sure why this isn't possible yet, same with Nest thermostat. I work 12hr shifts, 3 days, 3 nights, 6 off. This cannot be programmed properly. I'm not sure why google can't make this happen for the many people who work in emergency services, industry, etc.
Mar 14, 2003
214 posts
7 upvotes
On the home mini you can make outbound calls, is it possible to receive a inbound call with this hub?

I don't have a landline and I'm wondering if I could use the hub to receive a "call" at home?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
anonymous2 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:59 am
On the home mini you can make outbound calls, is it possible to receive a inbound call with this hub?

I don't have a landline and I'm wondering if I could use the hub to receive a "call" at home?
Unfortunately no, only outbound calls. "unknown number" will appear on the outbound call display unless you setup your cellphone number as outbound (after verification via text) that way callers can reach you on your cell.
Oct 5, 2011
97 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, I missed the Lenovo Smart Display deal....now this Google Home Hub seems good, but i really wish the camera on it....Gotta wait for another deal on Lenovo Smart Display....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
benfly08 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 12:23 pm
Damn, I missed the Lenovo Smart Display deal....now this Google Home Hub seems good, but i really wish the camera on it....Gotta wait for another deal on Lenovo Smart Display....

You're not missing out. The camera is only good for video calls via Duo. I would recommend the Hub over the Lenovo, as the Lenovo has a higher DOA rate if you look at people's reviews here on RFD.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1713 posts
1737 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Charcoal is $140.00 again (lowest price according to 3C), Chalk is $145.96.
Oct 5, 2011
97 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 1:07 pm
You're not missing out. The camera is only good for video calls via Duo. I would recommend the Hub over the Lenovo, as the Lenovo has a higher DOA rate if you look at people's reviews here on RFD.
How is the sound performance? I heard that Lenovo's sound is better than GHH. Basically i want to put it in Kitchen so that i can play some Youtube and get notification with my just-installed Nest Doorbell. It could also replace the GH i placed in Kitchen.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)