Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Hamano Ukulele (soprano, kids, beginners) $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2016 11:25 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Hamano Ukulele (soprano, kids, beginners) $24.99

Amazon's Deal of the Day is a Hamano ukulele for $24.99. This is a great deal because beginner ukuleles are approx $50-$60 at music stores. Ukuleles are the instrument of choice for teaching kids (and adults) an instrument nowadays (step aside, recorder...).

LINK

Notes:

- Soprano size (i.e. small). Adults can use this size of course, but this is usually the size used by kids
- Lots of colourful choices
- Quality is a step above "toy" ukuleles at Walmart, Toys R Us, etc. and about the same as the most cheapest, basic ones at music stores, which are around $50-$60. You can get professional ones for $150+
- Included bag is likely useless, which is typical at the low end
- Strings will not stay in tune while they are new, but this is typical for new strings. A lot of reviews complain about this, but this is completely normal. They've been lying out of tune for a while, you tune them (ie. stretch them), and the nylon strings will naturally want to revert back. Just keep strumming it every day and re-tuning (lots of tuning apps are available) and you'll notice less and less re-tuning is necessary until it's eventually able to hold it's tune for a while.

The quality and price are great for kids and adults to learn an instrument. There are "better" brands, but not for $25! If you're spending $50-$60, then maybe a Makala one would be better than this one. If a kid (or adult) decides not to pursue it, you haven't spent a lot of money on it. Some people like to replace the strings with better quality ones, but again, this is a good one just to get started.

EDIT: If you don't see $24.99, then likely that colour is out of stock from Amazon and you're seeing another seller's price. Check the other colours. The Daily Deal is supposed to end at 3AM EST Sept 28 or until Amazon runs out of stock.

Last edited by jm1 on Sep 27th, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3784 posts
2780 upvotes
Airdrie
jm1 wrote: Some people like to replace the strings with better quality ones, but again, this is a good one just to get started.
According to the listing, "Genuine Aquila Nylgut strings handmade in Italy give clear, bright tones." If true, there should be no need to replace strings.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Oct 21, 2005
842 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks OP, great gift for the little one
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1838 posts
2039 upvotes
Try "stretching" the strings from the sound hole.

(Pull up on each string one by one but don't pull too hard)

I do this on a regular guitar when I change strings because the strings are fresh.
Wallet safe...
Aug 26, 2015
308 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have been told that it's easy to transition to a guitar from a ukulele because the smaller size makes it easier for those little hands to master.
Nov 20, 2012
322 posts
190 upvotes
OTTAWA
Is it possible to add a strap to this?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
acbay21 wrote:
marcfar wrote: $49.62 from what I see.
Try different colour :)
Thanks. I've edited original post to tell people and remind them the $24.99 price is from Amazon, not the other sellers.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6076 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. Bought a white one. Says it shipping in 1-2 months, but I don't mind waiting.
Been casually shopping for one lately. I've never played an instrument before; figured I'd learn some basics with this while entertaining my toddler.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
3633 posts
1972 upvotes
Thornhill
willing to wait, always wanted to try it out.

Nov 26, 2003
691 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
Thanks op
I’ve wanted to get one for a while
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1838 posts
2039 upvotes
Woo hoo. Impulse bought a brown one (best colour IMO)

Will see how it compares to another $100 uke I have.

I can't believe pink is sold out. And green... wtf
Wallet safe...
Sep 27, 2009
640 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Mine is shipping from new Jersey..anybody else? Weird
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
I picked up the Robson one from TrU a couple weeks back. worked great until the little guy went to tune it and the top half of the bridge broke off. Looks identical to this one.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Aug 28, 2013
147 posts
91 upvotes
Montr
Bought one, but seems to may have been stolen outside my house when Purolator left it there... Sucks.. making a claim with them

But does anyone know if Amazon will send me another for the sale price?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
2022 posts
660 upvotes
Vancouver
Got mine this week. This thing is pretty good for $25. I don't know how to play and I mainly got it for a gift to my nephew and niece (should have gotten two [or really 3 - two for the kids and one for me]). I picked the light blue coloured one as most colours were sold out and I actually liked the color. At worst if they didn't like it (but what kid wouldn't like a ukulele?), I could hang it on the wall as art.

This thing is really nicely made. The paint job is great. The light blue paint reminds me of the what you'd find on an old vintage car.

Thanks OP