Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

HOT! August Smart Lock Pro + Connect - $237.51

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 10:01 am
Jun 13, 2017
700 posts
468 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Are you certain it's not the alignment of your door causing the motor to work harder?
The August lock simply attaches to an existing deadbolt.
I have switched to Schlage and it has been a year since I installed it (thus the first time putting in the batteries). And my parents' door still has August on it, and still draining batteries.

Anyways, how's your own experience? Do the batteries last longer?
wongster wrote: 4 AA batteries.. Depends how often u use it. for my house sale i use it 4-5 times a day? about just over 3 months for me? i think.
Apparently, I am not the only one.
Last edited by adhika on Dec 3rd, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you offend the OP instead of thanking him, I will gladly report you for either harassment or off-topic."

ArloCopter
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30058 upvotes
Center of Universe
adhika wrote: I have switched to Schlage and it has been a year since I installed it (thus the first time putting in the batteries). And my parents' door still has August on it, and still draining batteries.

Anyways, how's your own experience? Do the batteries last longer?
I have a Yale smart lock, as I use ST for my HA requirements, but have read about users experiencing abnormal battery replacements and it all related to a misaligned door.
Jun 13, 2017
700 posts
468 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
husamus156 wrote: Time to invest in rechargeable batteries :) . I will try to install it soon and see how it goes
I do have rechargeable batteries. However, I never tried using them on my August due to their instructions:
Replace all 4 batteries with standard non-rechargeable alkaline batteries, ensuring the that the battery pull tab is behind the batteries and the bottom two batteries have the positive (+) side on the left side, and the top two batteries have their positive (+) side to the right.
https://support.august.com/how-to-chang ... kfllwLyAuf
"If you offend the OP instead of thanking him, I will gladly report you for either harassment or off-topic."

ArloCopter
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30058 upvotes
Center of Universe
husamus156 wrote: Time to invest in rechargeable batteries :) . I will try to install it soon and see how it goes
Actually, standard alkaline batteries are recommended.

NOTE: Your August Smart Lock has 4 AA batteries. Make sure to remove and replace all 4 batteries at the same time. Please use only standard alkaline batteries. Lithium and extended life alkaline batteries will not provide you with the optimal experience and could result in not being alerted that your batteries are dying or alerting you when they are not.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
lifeisfuneh wrote: That's about it. nothing else
1) august allows you to preserve the outside deadbolt. a requirement for apartment renters and many condo owners.
2) integrates with z-wave as well as wifi. I can configure with major home automation hubs. so along with bluetooth i also configured rfid tags to open my door.
3) opens the lock as you approach the door. no touching, apps etc needed... just open the door.
4) is quietest. (i've tested the major competitors)

con
Battery life. lasts a couple of months. is supposed to be rated 3-6 months.
August sent me a replacement lock via fedex overnight.
so far has exceeded the battery life of my original one so it is looking positive!
Last edited by ogcmtl on Dec 3rd, 2018 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2017
1050 posts
810 upvotes
runeash wrote: Here my current setup so hopefully it fits.
Also how is the hacking on these, saw documentary on CBC marketplace
You probably need a new door if you're that warried about hacking. Someone can easily break your glass and reach around.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
craeyon wrote: I believe the perimeter for the geofence is 200m (You cannot adjust this at the moment). That is when the auto unlock feature kicks in when you leave the perimeter. But if you, say go to check your mail, or to the laundry room like I do, auto unlock will stay disabled. Unfortunately, the auto LOCK feature does kick in regardless. So you might get locked out unless you leave your door ajar. The Smart Lock Pro ships with a magnetic door position sensor that goes right beside the lock on the wooden frame. If it detects that the door is ajar it will not auto lock the door. So I just leave the door slightly ajar when going to the laundry room (or attach an extra front door key to my laundry room key chain)
1) the app allows you yo override the home/away setting to say you are away. so if you walk to the corner store, you can force the away trigger on and when you return with your arms full, the door will auto unlock.
2) if you have your phone with you, you can manuall open the door through the app.
Dec 5, 2011
579 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
lifeisfuneh wrote: It doesn't give you better integration ... Overprice and the hub is useless get Schlage and real smart home hub for the same money
Correct me if I'm wrong here but can you install a Schlage in a condo? I would imagine you cannot change the door handle and lock in a condo.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3875 posts
5401 upvotes
Oakville
ah, Time to read the instruction manual - it doesnt work well with rechargeables.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15722 posts
7448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
echlon wrote: My current deadbolt is installed right against the in-door window frame with no extra room.
Am I out of luck to install this, or any smart lock? These all appear way bigger.
Yes, you really need to measure it out to make sure it fits. In my case, when I got the August last year, I found that it conflicted with the inside window frame that my front door has. I had to cut out a portion of the plastic frame for the lock to fit.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15722 posts
7448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
runeash wrote: Here my current setup so hopefully it fits.
Also how is the hacking on these, saw documentary on CBC marketplace
You may not be able to get the August doorlock to fit with the window frame being so close to the deadbolt. Mine was the same (with a plastic frame instead of wood) and I had to chip out a section of the window frame to make it work.
Jan 17, 2008
731 posts
371 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: ^ It is strongly recommended to not use the auto-unlock feature with smart locks, as it is a security vulnerability.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "auto-unlock" is the feature that allows you to send the "key" to the user, and that user uses their phone to unlock the door? Is that correct??
What I was talking about is providing people (i.e. contractors, family members, etc) with their own key codes, which they punch in manually, and those codes only being active at certain times/dates. No phone is necessary.

Does scheduled keys have something to do with auto-unlock? Or maybe I misunderstood. Are we talking about the same thing?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30058 upvotes
Center of Universe
jestik wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but "auto-unlock" is the feature that allows you to send the "key" to the user, and that user uses their phone to unlock the door? Is that correct??
What I was talking about is providing people (i.e. contractors, family members, etc) with their own key codes, which they punch in manually, and those codes only being active at certain times/dates. No phone is necessary.

Does scheduled keys have something to do with auto-unlock? Or maybe I misunderstood. Are we talking about the same thing?
I'm referring to a schedule or trigger/action as part of a HA setup.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
jestik wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but "auto-unlock" is the feature that allows you to send the "key" to the user, and that user uses their phone to unlock the door? Is that correct??

2 different things.
auto-unlock means that the coor opens automatically when bluetooth links to the lock. This is reserved only for accounts set up as owners.

you can offer anyone a visitor account. you can assign dates and times you want them to have access. they can open the lock by going into the app and unlocking the door manually through the app. they do not get the convenience of auto-unlock (ie opens the lock as you approach the door).
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15722 posts
7448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: I'm referring to a schedule or trigger/action as part of a HA setup.
I would only use auto-unlock (using geofencing) for the garage entrance as it is protected by the garage doors (and 99% of the time, we are coming home by car and entering through the garage entrance). For the front door we have the lock on auto-lock timer so that it will always lock itself if left unlocked.
Apr 20, 2015
427 posts
108 upvotes
Bolton, ON
camt wrote: There is another lock that combines the best of both world's (August smarts + keypad), the Yale Assure Touchscreen powered by August: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ya ... 29786.aspx

Yale bought August and has launched a few locks that integrate the August technology. The one above is an Ansi level-2 deadbolt + keypad + August smart lock functionality. That model also has a keyslot for backup but there have another model that does not accept keys (smart lock + keypad only) as well. This to me is a better solution than the Schlage Sense (similar functionality but enhanced "smarts" from August) and better than the August Pro since it has a keypad.

It was on sale for $280 during Black Friday, might go on sale for boxing day as well.
that's similar/same as what WireCutter recommends at the moment - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-smart-lock/ header at the top of the page has the new top pick
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30058 upvotes
Center of Universe
MrPsv1 wrote: that's similar/same as what WireCutter recommends at the moment - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-smart-lock/ header at the top of the page has the new top pick
I have that lock and it was a toss up with the Schlage Connect at the time I bought it.
But now that the new August lock has the Z-wave protocol (for HA), you can't go wrong with either one.
Oct 3, 2018
71 posts
109 upvotes
Does the discount price still apply or is the deal dead????
Jan 17, 2008
731 posts
371 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I'm referring to a schedule or trigger/action as part of a HA setup.
Do you have a source for this info? When I google autolock for Schlage Smart sense, I get results that refer to an "autolock" feature where the deadbolt automatically locks after a certain amount of time. It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just having no luck finding the info.
Thanks in advance

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)