Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

HOT? Canwelum Bright High-power Cree T6 LED Headlamp w/ 2x Protected 18650 2200mAh Battery & Charger

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2017 1:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9524 posts
12502 upvotes

HOT? Canwelum Bright High-power Cree T6 LED Headlamp w/ 2x Protected 18650 2200mAh Battery & Charger

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Amazon.ca
I recently bought two Canwelum 18650 batteries on Amazon, for my Zanflare F1, for $19.99.

Was just browsing what else they have and saw they have a Cree headlamp (uses T6 bulb) which includes 2x 18650's as well as a separate charger for only $3.19 MORE?! ($23.19 Taxes In)

I should have just bought this instead of just the batteries. It's on Lightning deal and there's only 3hrs left.

Great set to get if you're even remotely considering getting a CREE LED flashlight in the near future

Don't forget your favourite cashback site!

https://www.amazon.ca/Canwelum-High-pow ... B00NIG6KYI

20 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you take the batteries alone, then you have a good argument about value.

According to ***************, there's no price history in Canada other than today's regular price. For the US, the price basically stayed between $24/25 so it's not too bad to say that you'll save on the exchange.

However, I'm concerned about one reviewer having received the unit as a sample for a 'honest' review. Many of these types of products aren't what you call the best. Have a look at this UK review on another Canwelum product - http://chilli-tech.com/content/canwelum ... ch-review/.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9524 posts
12502 upvotes
after getting the Zanflare, I might have gotten then Cree LED bug. contemplating picking this up just for the batteries and the charger, if the headlamp is garbage ill put it aside just for emergencies or work in the basement.

That being said, Amazon.ca has quite a few Verified Purchase reviews from the Amazon.com site listed as well.

The batteries I got were actually their own branded protected chargers.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Didn't we have this discussion, no name batteries are low capacity low quality dangerous explosion risk junk

This light may not even have Cree emitters but Latticebright fakes.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
May 17, 2007
930 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: Didn't we have this discussion, no name batteries are low capacity low quality dangerous explosion risk junk

This light may not even have Cree emitters but Latticebright fakes.
I didn't follow the other post. IYO, is this a good brand?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
orb2k wrote: I didn't follow the other post. IYO, is this a good brand?
For 18650 you want to buy name brand, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG, Sanyo etc.
No name chinese brands typically work but are not nearly the same caliber. They often lie about capacity (they count on you not knowing what real 18650 batteries can do), they experience high voltage sag, they don't last nearly as many cycles and can be a higher explosion risk (see hoverboards in the news).
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: I've only bought their batteries and it "seems" to be ok and true capacity. Deal dead now anyways.
Did you buy a capacity testing charger to confirm this?
Seriously, buy some Sanyo 3500mAh and experience the brighter lumens and longer battery life on the same light
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just for the sake of my own curiosity, I actually purchased one of these Canwelum sets to see what's it all about and just finished posting a review on Amazon for it.

Long review short---> Good batteries as they actually tested very well in comparison to the rated capacity (according to my SkyRC MC-3000 analyzer, 2,100 mAh vs 2,250 mAh rated) and I can actually see external evidence of a protection circuit on the battery. Bad light as I could not get anywhere close to the 800 - 1000 lms they advertised in comparison to a NiteCore EC21 which only outputs 460 lm. In addition, I couldn't find any external markings on the LED itself to say that it's a real Cree T6 bulb. Amazon took it back.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
craftsman wrote: Just for the sake of my own curiosity, I actually purchased one of these Canwelum sets to see what's it all about and just finished posting a review on Amazon for it.

Long review short---> Good batteries as they actually tested very well in comparison to the rated capacity (according to my SkyRC MC-3000 analyzer, 2,100 mAh vs 2,250 mAh rated) and I can actually see external evidence of a protection circuit on the battery. Bad light as I could not get anywhere close to the 800 - 1000 lms they advertised in comparison to a NiteCore EC21 which only outputs 460 lm. In addition, I couldn't find any external markings on the LED itself to say that it's a real Cree T6 bulb. Amazon took it back.
Where you able to read the internal resistance of the battery?
Voltage sag will kill output on no name batteries, but then again these lights typically have low current circuitry even with brand name batteries and that chip can only put out 790 lumens, minus 20-30% from the optics and lack of reflector one can expect 630 lumens theoretical maximum. Its probably half that or less.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Quentin5 wrote: Where you able to read the internal resistance of the battery?
Voltage sag will kill output on no name batteries, but then again these lights typically have low current circuitry even with brand name batteries and that chip can only put out 790 lumens, minus 20-30% from the optics and lack of reflector one can expect 630 lumens theoretical maximum. Its probably half that or less.
Yep as the SkyRC MC-3000 does measure IR but from what I understand the IR measurements methods across the 'industry' has been inconsistent so the numbers are hard to compare from one method to another. I have to say that the Canwelum battery's IR performance was on par with other new 18650 batteries when it comes to readings from the MC-3000 (max resistance when the battery is discharged and low resistance - under 150 milli-ohm - when fully charged). The nice thing about the MC-3000 is that it produces high res graphs on PC and smartphones and according to those graphs when discharging at 500 mA, the voltage discharge curve was smooth without any telltale indentations at the initial discharge that you would see for a battery with a high IR.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
craftsman wrote: Yep as the SkyRC MC-3000 does measure IR but from what I understand the IR measurements methods across the 'industry' has been inconsistent so the numbers are hard to compare from one method to another. I have to say that the Canwelum battery's IR performance was on par with other new 18650 batteries when it comes to readings from the MC-3000 (max resistance when the battery is discharged and low resistance - under 150 milli-ohm - when fully charged). The nice thing about the MC-3000 is that it produces high res graphs on PC and smartphones and according to those graphs when discharging at 500 mA, the voltage discharge curve was smooth without any telltale indentations at the initial discharge that you would see for a battery with a high IR.
Its a good charger from what i am told, though 500mA is a low number, a Cree CM-L chip is rate for 3000mA discharge (though i doubt that light was running at that current)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Quentin5 wrote: Its a good charger from what i am told, though 500mA is a low number, a Cree CM-L chip is rate for 3000mA discharge (though i doubt that light was running at that current)
I'm doubting it's a Cree in the first place...

As for the charger, it's a good unit but needs a bit more development and refinement especially when it comes to the phone apps and how well they work with charger. Currently, the app is 'smart' in the sense that it receives feedback from the charger and 'controls' it for certain functions during the recharge cycle - I found that out when I noticed that there was a functional difference between the iOS version and the Android version for their break-in program (the options on the apps were the same but the charger behaved differently).

BTW. I just tried discharging the batteries at 1 A (highest rate of discharge the MC-3000 can go using the phone app even though the app says it can do 2 A) and the discharge curve was still smooth.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
craftsman wrote: I'm doubting it's a Cree in the first place...

As for the charger, it's a good unit but needs a bit more development and refinement especially when it comes to the phone apps and how well they work with charger. Currently, the app is 'smart' in the sense that it receives feedback from the charger and 'controls' it for certain functions during the recharge cycle - I found that out when I noticed that there was a functional difference between the iOS version and the Android version for their break-in program (the options on the apps were the same but the charger behaved differently).

BTW. I just tried discharging the batteries at 1 A (highest rate of discharge the MC-3000 can go using the phone app even though the app says it can do 2 A) and the discharge curve was still smooth.
I forgot, it could be a Latticebright fake.
There is a lot of variability in no name batteries, some are actually quite good but you could buy a bunch and they won't be from the same batch, and no one knows what their explosion risk is or how many cycles you would get from them compared to a name brand model.
I find it much easier and safer to buy models from the legitimate brands and most are tested here
http://lygte-info.dk/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Quentin5 wrote: I forgot, it could be a Latticebright fake.
There is a lot of variability in no name batteries, some are actually quite good but you could buy a bunch and they won't be from the same batch, and no one knows what their explosion risk is or how many cycles you would get from them compared to a name brand model.
I find it much easier and safer to buy models from the legitimate brands and most are tested here
http://lygte-info.dk/
That's absolutely true. However, 18650s are starting to become a commodity item and that doesn't mean good things for properly identifying good batteries.

I remember the sunset days for VHS tape when you could get a 'name brand' T-120 tape for under $1.50 on sale. I was talking to one of the manufacturer's representatives (I used to work in retail for years) and he told me that since its a cheap commodity item,

1. some of the major manufacturers don't make any tape but buy them on the open market to load and label into their shells.
2. others still make tape but they only make enough to fill projected demand. So, if a big order comes in that they didn't predict, they end up buying tape on the open market again to complete the order. (ie Sony tape for that batch might be made by Fuji and so forth...)

I see the 18650 market moving in that direction as pricing continues to drop so margins are squeezed. The only 'saving grace' is the new market for 'recycled' 18650 from industrial packs that get reskinned and resold under a different model/name. I'm saying 'saving grace' as at least there is some quality left in those used cells rather than outright fake ones which have a much larger safety issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
craftsman wrote: That's absolutely true. However, 18650s are starting to become a commodity item and that doesn't mean good things for properly identifying good batteries.

I remember the sunset days for VHS tape when you could get a 'name brand' T-120 tape for under $1.50 on sale. I was talking to one of the manufacturer's representatives (I used to work in retail for years) and he told me that since its a cheap commodity item,

1. some of the major manufacturers don't make any tape but buy them on the open market to load and label into their shells.
2. others still make tape but they only make enough to fill projected demand. So, if a big order comes in that they didn't predict, they end up buying tape on the open market again to complete the order. (ie Sony tape for that batch might be made by Fuji and so forth...)

I see the 18650 market moving in that direction as pricing continues to drop so margins are squeezed. The only 'saving grace' is the new market for 'recycled' 18650 from industrial packs that get reskinned and resold under a different model/name. I'm saying 'saving grace' as at least there is some quality left in those used cells rather than outright fake ones which have a much larger safety issue.
I wonder if they will end up being commodity items, currently every manufacturer only sells them for packs, though companies buy in bulk and redirect to consumers.
I hate that type of rebranding like that, pay for quality, get junk Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I would never want to buy a recycled li ion battery, use and time and usually storage at fully charged will have degraded its capacity and increased internal resistance, they are simply not worth the trouble used
The hovercrafts and uncertified junk exploding has made headlines, and there have been many reports of ecigs exploding, recently someone lost 7 teeth :(
Its actually not unlikely they will be banned in non pack form :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Quentin5 wrote: I wonder if they will end up being commodity items, currently every manufacturer only sells them for packs, though companies buy in bulk and redirect to consumers.
I hate that type of rebranding like that, pay for quality, get junk Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I would never want to buy a recycled li ion battery, use and time and usually storage at fully charged will have degraded its capacity and increased internal resistance, they are simply not worth the trouble used
The hovercrafts and uncertified junk exploding has made headlines, and there have been many reports of ecigs exploding, recently someone lost 7 teeth :(
Its actually not unlikely they will be banned in non pack form :facepalm:
In the lower end of the market, I believe that they are already considered commodity items and are interchanged at will (or price point) which is why we are seeing these spectacular failures as specs are used interchangeably and larger manufacturers dump their overstock/overruns into the market place.

As for ecigs, the market for the devices themselves aren't really regulated so it's hard to say if it's the device or the battery. However, in researching 18650s, there a lot of talk out there on how to mod ecigs to fit them so I've got to wonder how much of what we are seeing is just mods going bad or a basic design flaw in the original device. After all, finding how to overclock your processor on the net is one thing but tinkering with an ecig is another.

IMHO, a ban on packs will come before a ban on individual cells since most people have no idea that individual cells make up a pack but packs are what most people see.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15420 upvotes
Socially Distanced
craftsman wrote: In the lower end of the market, I believe that they are already considered commodity items and are interchanged at will (or price point) which is why we are seeing these spectacular failures as specs are used interchangeably and larger manufacturers dump their overstock/overruns into the market place.

As for ecigs, the market for the devices themselves aren't really regulated so it's hard to say if it's the device or the battery. However, in researching 18650s, there a lot of talk out there on how to mod ecigs to fit them so I've got to wonder how much of what we are seeing is just mods going bad or a basic design flaw in the original device. After all, finding how to overclock your processor on the net is one thing but tinkering with an ecig is another.

IMHO, a ban on packs will come before a ban on individual cells since most people have no idea that individual cells make up a pack but packs are what most people see.
I mean commodity such as sold at walmart and home depot, with chargers and millions of devices that run on them (like AA, AAA and 9V). Name brand manufacturers don't sell loose cells, they only sell to pack builders who divert some cells to the places we currently buy them from. When there is an explosion the manufacturer takes no responsibility because they don't sell 18650s for single use, they sold the cell your using to a company that signed an agreement for purchasing that cell for a battery pack.
Most ecigs that use 18650s are built to use the 18650 form factor, but your correct no regulation or safety standards means dangerous products.
Who knows what bans will come, just sending them through the mail is already difficult today.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wizard1 wrote: For what it's worth, the labels on these batteries specifically state not to use them for ecigs
That's could be due to the risk of unauthorized mods to ecigs rather than the batteries themselves OR that the ecigs draw so much current that the protection circuit kicks in. But if they do draw that much current, I don't think they would be too safe to have in your hand all day anyways.