Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] iRobot Roomba 980 $799,99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 6:55 am
Nov 25, 2010
311 posts
159 upvotes
I have a couple of older 900 series roombas, I got an ebay lithium battery upgrade and I've had it run for 5 hours non stop... I had to manually stop it before it ran out of power as i couldn't take the noise anymore. Just fyi
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3075 posts
404 upvotes
bevanpfc wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:47 am
Sorry to hijack your post, I’ve been looking at the Roomba 960/980 and xiaomi roborock s50, I’m leaning towards the roborock because of features and price but feel safer in buying a recognised brand in Canada that includes guarantee/customer support that’s comes with the roomba.
I see amazon has the xiaomi roborock s50 for $599 which seems not too bad compared to the Chinese vendors.
Anybody got any experience with either the roomba or xiaomi?
Bought the first gen xiaomi vacuum awhile back with a lot of members on RFD. Ended up paying a little over $300 Cad after conversion.

The robot itself has been flawless. Iterations to the app have allowed it to gain the zone cleaning ability and this thing has been solid since day one. There are many videos to watch on YouTube to justify the purchase if that’s what you are after.

I would not hesitate to buy it again if I needed one.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1586 posts
1846 upvotes
Toronto
holden wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:35 pm
Dammit. Buying a Roomba wasn't even on my rader, now I'm considering pulling the trigger on this. I swear, RFD has probably cost me more money than it saved me, lol.

It also seems to be the same price elsewhere. Wonder if it's better to buy this on Amazon or Costco.ca?
Really? at 800 bucks and you are enticed to buy a Roomba? for 800 bucks I'd buy 3 ecovac n79s so it can clean basement, mainfloor and top floor.
Jan 21, 2017
2 posts
2 upvotes
I recently got a ILife V4S, which is Amazons choice, at at 199.99 (current sale price) I got to admit, this thing does a great job. Its quiet, and picks up a lot of stuff (and I use a Dyson Animal for my full cleaning). Yes it goes over the same spot a few times , but what do I care its doing its job while I am at work, or watching tv, etc etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2717 posts
354 upvotes
Vancouver
Trapper wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:41 pm
960 is currently $599 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/irobot-roo ... 0196684885
zkkzkk32312 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:12 pm
Thank you so much.
Gonna price match it at best buy.
Sweet, beat the boxing day rush and get the extra 10% off by price matching. Will have to do that tomorrow to use up the visa gift cards i got from the london drugs gift card deal yesterday. :D

I had the chance to borrow a 960 for the last 3 weeks or so and while initially I was totally shocked by the price of it, I've found that it's worth it and I'm going to buy one of my own. Talk about being spoiled by a high end model to begin with!! The smart mapping feature is quite useful and this model cleans smart instead of the random bumping around of the lower models. I also like the fact that the rollers are brushless rubber so it doesn't get gunked up with hair.
Sep 24, 2012
830 posts
299 upvotes
Mississauga
zkkzkk32312 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:11 pm
Thanks for the info but the 960 currently is still $699 at bestbuy. I guess it's currently at historic low already?

Or you were talking about 980?
Looks like Walmart and bestbuy gonna have 960 for $599.. great deal if need one.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1162 posts
456 upvotes
North York, ON
bevanpfc wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:47 am
Sorry to hijack your post, I’ve been looking at the Roomba 960/980 and xiaomi roborock s50, I’m leaning towards the roborock because of features and price but feel safer in buying a recognised brand in Canada that includes guarantee/customer support that’s comes with the roomba.
I see amazon has the xiaomi roborock s50 for $599 which seems not too bad compared to the Chinese vendors.
Anybody got any experience with either the roomba or xiaomi?
Have owned an 1st Gen iLife (low end budget but it works) and a 1st Gen Xiaomi. Love the Xiaomi and would not hesitate to buy another. Picking up a BNIB Roomba 960 this aft- will be selling it immediately.
Feb 1, 2013
259 posts
56 upvotes
magoot wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 6:33 am
Have owned an 1st Gen iLife (low end budget but it works) and a 1st Gen Xiaomi. Love the Xiaomi and would not hesitate to buy another. Picking up a BNIB Roomba 960 this aft- will be selling it immediately.
I’ll keep an eye out for the 1st gen xiaomi, thanks guys.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1162 posts
456 upvotes
North York, ON
bevanpfc wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:33 am
I’ll keep an eye out for the 1st gen xiaomi, thanks guys.
Here's a comparison table for Gen I versus Gen II
https://smartrobotreviews.com/reviews/t ... ation.html

Don't own the Xiaomi Gen II but seems to be far superior to Gen I. Seems the Mapping progs and sensors much improved in Gen II. Pricing is so close between the 2...just my 2 cents.
The way I looked at it is if I pay $500 and the vac lasts 2 yrs vacuuming (twice per week) it's costing me $4.80 for each vacuum run....it was this logic that I used to convince the wifey LOL...and she is now more enthralled and impressed than me with our lil' buddy.

Video discusses all points and also compares with Gen I.

Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3701 posts
1241 upvotes
Montreal
I was looking at this model, but bought a Deebot 900 (900/901/907 are all same but diff. colours) instead, and so far I highly recommend it. It is comparable in features (and performance according to reviews) to the Roomba 960, but less expensive. Costco and Amazon had it for about $480. I bought it with the 12% Amazon eBates discount last week. Unfortunately it is back to around $600 now (and Costco oos/no longer listed), but perhaps wait for a deal.
I'm impressed because my house is very big … probably close to 2700sf on the main floor. Mostly hardwood/tile + some low pile area rugs. We have 2 huskies that never really stop shedding. The mapping/navigating is really impressive and it plans out a very efficient cleaning pattern. It took a few runs before it managed to map out our entire first floor, but once complete it has really worked well. Only complaint is that the dust bin is a bit small. This probably isn't an issue for most people, but for us the dog air fills it up whenever we do a long cleaning.
Sep 19, 2008
646 posts
315 upvotes
Calgary
magoot wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 11:45 am
The way I looked at it is if I pay $500 and the vac lasts 2 yrs vacuuming (twice per week) it's costing me $4.80 for each vacuum run....it was this logic that I used to convince the wifey LOL...
Its actually $2.40 per run. Now you can justify buying 2 of them!
Nov 29, 2013
800 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
What is the main difference between the 960 and 980 roomba models? My dad recently got the 890 but he does not like the random cleaning and would rather map it out to clean one room or a certain area
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1162 posts
456 upvotes
North York, ON
brensavoyton wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 12:17 pm
What is the main difference between the 960 and 980 roomba models? My dad recently got the 890 but he does not like the random cleaning and would rather map it out to clean one room or a certain area
Aug 15, 2009
250 posts
127 upvotes
Montreal
LuxErus wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:32 pm
Wow, at this price, can it climb up stairs and bring the recycling out?

I'm genuinely wondering what a $800 robot vacuum can do four times better than a $200 one (like the Eufy on Black Friday). I didn't know they could be so expensive.
Do something else of my life while Roomba vacuums my floors !

That is the beauty of it.