• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2018 9:47 pm
Nov 11, 2008
900 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 4:31 pm
You came into a thread about Kicking Horse on sale, just to tell everyone you prefer Kirkland coffee??

He also said it's $12 for 2 lb. You must've missed that.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2640 posts
361 upvotes
Try the Z-wrangler next time for espresso!
chrischris84 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:35 pm
I’ve not enjoyed the espresso beans, using a semi-auto Saeco. The crema is great. Just too punchy of a taste, even though I like it strong.

Still great deal, thanks OP
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1467 posts
1544 upvotes
jiffylube1024 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 3:38 pm
+1. I also get the Hola as it is their lightest roast and IMO most flavourful. Good for blending with other beans, too!
I mix mine with hazelnut vanilla medium roast Zavida.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Sep 16, 2013
392 posts
140 upvotes
SW ON
karlanda wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 4:29 pm
Prefer Costco's Kirkland coffee, around $12 for 2 pound bag. Roasted by Starbucks.
It used to be $12. Now $14 in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1393 posts
559 upvotes
Quebec
Is it really necessary to have a $200 grinder to get good coffee out of whole beans?
Jan 31, 2018
199 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Balzard wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 6:09 pm
Is it really necessary to have a $200 grinder to get good coffee out of whole beans?
Drip or French Press? No.

Espresso? Yes.
Dec 14, 2006
211 posts
83 upvotes
I have a super automatic and can't use oily beans. Any recommendations from kicking horse that's non-oily?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2640 posts
361 upvotes
Z-Wrangler (medium roast = less oily and more flavour)
deviate wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 6:35 pm
I have a super automatic and can't use oily beans. Any recommendations from kicking horse that's non-oily?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2640 posts
361 upvotes
Or get a $30 manual hand crank ceramic burr grinder and swap out the crank with a coupling nut to attach your drill / driver. :)
OneAndTrueHeir wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 6:30 pm
Drip or French Press? No.

Espresso? Yes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
7266 posts
7530 upvotes
Thanks OP!

I set a price watch at 3xC but never received their notification!
(I wonder if they saw my post, because I just received their email notification shortly after writing this) ;)
PriceHunter wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:16 pm
More like 8.4$ with 15% S&S. Hola for the win.
ca_gascon wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 2:47 pm
I love HOLA but my girlfriend hates it. :( She finds the finish weird.
Last time these went on sale, I bought three different kinds: Three Sisters, Hola, and Smart Ass.

I started with Three Sisters, and thought it was just OK.

I then tried Hola, and found this one to be really good.

Then I tried Smart Ass... Obviously taste is a personal preference, but this one... After my first sip of espresso, I was staring at the cup thinking WTF is this coffee...

This was TOTALLY AMAZING!!!

I didn't want to influence anyone, so I kept my mouth shut, gave my wife her cup, and after her first sip, she looks at me and says this is an amazing cup of espresso!!!

I was wondering if I got a "bad" batch, (actually an amazing batch) because reading some reviews, I wasn't expecting this to be my favorite coffee.

I ground a batch of each kind to bring to work, and everyone who tried the Smart Ass, also enjoyed it. (whereas the other two blends had mixed reviews)

So in short, whoever didn't try Smart Ass yet, you definitely have to give this a try!

I hope this next batch is equally as good because I'm in for five bags at $8.40 each with S&S :) :) :)
Dec 14, 2006
211 posts
83 upvotes
IDStorms wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:05 pm
So in short, whoever didn't try Smart Ass yet, you definitely have to give this a try!
Are there any oils on the beans or is it completely dry?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1467 posts
1544 upvotes
IDStorms wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:05 pm
Thanks OP!

I set a price watch at 3xC but never received their notification!
(I wonder if they saw my post, because I just received their email notification shortly after writing this) ;)

Last time these went on sale, I bought three different kinds: Three Sisters, Hola, and Smart Ass.

I started with Three Sisters, and thought it was just OK.

I then tried Hola, and found this one to be really good.

Then I tried Smart Ass... Obviously taste is a personal preference, but this one... After my first sip of espresso, I was staring at the cup thinking WTF is this coffee...

This was TOTALLY AMAZING!!!

I didn't want to influence anyone, so I kept my mouth shut, gave my wife her cup, and after her first sip, she looks at me and says this is an amazing cup of espresso!!!

I was wondering if I got a "bad" batch, (actually an amazing batch) because reading some reviews, I wasn't expecting this to be my favorite coffee.

I ground a batch of each kind to bring to work, and everyone who tried the Smart Ass, also enjoyed it. (whereas the other two blends had mixed reviews)

I hope this next batch is equally as good because I'm in for five bags at $8.40 each with S&S :) :) :)
I am leaning to get it due to your review. Specially that you stated that Hola was good, as it shows that you are into less burned coffee taste.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9021 posts
4033 upvotes
Well in for a couple to try!
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
7266 posts
7530 upvotes
deviate wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:21 pm
Are there any oils on the beans or is it completely dry?
Yes they are oily, not dry!

Here's a photo of the Three Sisters beans, and they're not too oily, but I'm sure Smart Ass was oilier. (I don't remember if Hola was more or less)

PriceHunter wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:23 pm
I am leaning to get it due to your review. Specially that you stated that Hola was good, as it shows that you are into less burned coffee taste.
Hola (was) very good until I tried the Smart Ass! ;)

Actually Hola is still very good, and I'm down to my last ground batch.

I was so addicted to Smart Ass, that I finished the bag within the week.

I hate the burned rubber tasting coffees, and I'm not into those extremely strong roasts, if that is any concern.
Last edited by IDStorms on Aug 9th, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1282 posts
303 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks OP!

Ordered 4 bags...

I got lazy with coffee for awhile after we received a Keurig machine as a gift. But I just started brewing pour over coffee with a Kalita setup and also have a Moka pot. I think I need an electric burr grinder now though. The Kalita KH-3 manual hand mill grinder works great and looks nice but it's a bit of work!