Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Kicking Horse Coffee (Whole beans)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 8:23 am
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1273 posts
1451 upvotes
Surrey

[Amazon.ca] Kicking Horse Coffee (Whole beans)

Just saw this on Amazon Canada.

Whole beans 1lb size:

https://www.amazon.ca/Kicking-Horse-Cof ... ffee&psc=1

I believe all of them are on sale from that drop down list. Do a subscribe and save with 5 items and it drops to $8.49 a bag with the 15% discount.
119 replies
Jun 18, 2015
570 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Loblaws & Metro both have it on sale right now for 9.99 as well
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4043 posts
3271 upvotes
Ottawa
Was just about to post but you beat me to it. Amazon dropped the price to compete with Loblaws and Metro.

There are 2 other options to get your KH coffee fix this week besides Amazon.
1. Metro @ $9.99 but you'll get it for about half price if you redeem 95 cash airmiles for $10 and you'll get 50 bonus miles back. You are allowed to do this once/day/account. Valid for 4 days, today until Sunday. If you have multiple AM accounts with Mega Miles bonus then splurge Winking Face
2. Loblaws, YIG (Your Independent Grocer) have it for the same $9.99 until Wed. Get/redeem PC Optimum points or high rate cash back (e.g. 4% for Scotia Momentum) from some of your CCs.
Sep 9, 2005
307 posts
94 upvotes
Hamilton,Ontario
I noticed a "best before" date on the bags in the store (shoppers) and the date was July XX 2018 if the bag is left unopened until august(ish) will the the beans still be/taste OK?
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Homer J
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1273 posts
1451 upvotes
Surrey
Yeah the price local at the stores is cheap but if you do the subscribe and save it ends up being a great deal. Just another option. I've been doing the subscribe and save when it comes up for me as I have other items in there. Last coffee order was delivered last month and it was a big one.

For the deal gumby posted it's good. But for me, I'm not a big air miles collector and also don't have a metro. We do have the PC Optimum points but we use it for our general grocery bill. Those points rack up so quick.

Thanks for posting those two deals up for others.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1273 posts
1451 upvotes
Surrey
bel4_20 wrote: I noticed a "best before" date on the bags in the store (shoppers) and the date was July XX 2018 if the bag is left unopened until august(ish) will the the beans still be/taste OK?
You will be fine. Most are ok and I haven't had a bag go bad after a month past the "expiry".
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4043 posts
3271 upvotes
Ottawa
The choices don't fit everybody the same way. I did Amazon S&S previously and ended up having too much, coffee is not something that I'd stock up on anymore because they don't last forever and I don't go through it fast enough.

For some people, 1 or 2 bags at a time is more than enough so they may not meet Amazon's minimum purchase for FS.
As you have pointed out, Metro/airmiles/Loblaws are not available to everybody either but would serve those with local store presence and/or minimum purchase.
bel4_20 wrote: I noticed a "best before" date on the bags in the store (shoppers) and the date was July XX 2018 if the bag is left unopened until august(ish) will the the beans still be/taste OK?
If the bag is sealed, it'll be fine if near/past the BB date. As long as you're not the coffee connoisseur, you probably won't notice the difference. If you are, you won't buy in quantities to save anyway. Winking Face
JacyS92985 wrote: can anyone reccomend a specific roast they like?
Medium roast - Three Sisters, Smart Ass
Dark roast - Kick Ass, 454 Horse Power
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3225 posts
2871 upvotes
GTA Ontario
They'll be OK, they just taste nicer and have a nicer crema (foam) when they're fresher.
Note that you'll likely get fresher beans from Amazon because they go through high volumes and stock moves through very quickly.
Jun 18, 2015
570 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OrangeBerry wrote: Is this good coffee?
its the worst

They have one called Half Ass. It has half the amount of caffeine as the regular ones.
Three sisters is delicious.
Last edited by winenaught88 on Jun 14th, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
The last time I bought it from AMZ it was only $8.14, should have bought more...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2017
1115 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
For the dark roast, most people really like the Grizzly Claw, but it can be brutal if you don't really like coffee. Kick Ass and 454 Horse Power are both excellent dark choices.

For medium roast, Three Sisters is the best. Its my favourite coffee (for under $22/lb). Smart Ass is also quite enjoyable, but I rarely get it.
OrangeBerry wrote: Is this good coffee?
It is excellent. The best coffee you can buy for under $22/lb.
Jun 6, 2018
5 posts
Does any one here french press? Care to share your specific technique as i can't seem to get the ratios right and i always have some sludge at the bottom of the cup.
Mar 2, 2016
130 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have a 3xC's alert for these guys and saw this this morning too.... I also noted that the 1KG bags had a $5 coupon, so got my 1KG bag of 3 sisters for $15.
With the 5% subscribe and save discount, not a bad deal IMO:

Item Subtotal: CDN$ 21.98
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Promotion Applied: -CDN$ 6.10
Estimated Tax (GST/HST): CDN$ 0.00
Estimated Tax (PST/QST): CDN$ 0.00
Gift Card: -CDN$ 0.00
Order Total: CDN$ 15.88
Mar 15, 2005
358 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
It’s was on sale at food land a few days ago for $8.99
Jun 18, 2015
570 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JacyS92985 wrote: ... i always have some sludge at the bottom of the cup.
that's what happens when you use a french press.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
JacyS92985 wrote: Does any one here french press? Care to share your specific technique as i can't seem to get the ratios right and i always have some sludge at the bottom of the cup.
You're grinding it too fine. French press needs a coarse grind.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2017
1115 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
JacyS92985 wrote: Does any one here french press? Care to share your specific technique as i can't seem to get the ratios right and i always have some sludge at the bottom of the cup.
Use a burr grinder to coarse grind it specifically for French press.

I put 30-second post-boiled water on top of the coffee, stir it, let it ride, then tell my Google home to give me a 3:30-4:00 timer, depending on roast.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3225 posts
2871 upvotes
GTA Ontario
To reduce sludge:
- Use a burr grinder rather than a blade grinder so you get a more uniform grind size and less dust (and do a coarse grind)
- Use a good quality press screen (Bodum's screen is highly rated, but there may be other brands with good screens - something to ask Google about)
- Keep your press clean - the screen filters more effectively when it's clean
- Stop pouring right at, or right before, the point where press is empty; dump the last bit of coffee (and most of the sludge) down the drain

There will probably still be a bit of sludge at the bottom, but not enough to worry about. But if it still bothers you, leave the last sip in the mug.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)