Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Kicking Horse Coffee (Whole beans)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 8:23 am
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
gumby wrote: Was just about to post but you beat me to it. Amazon dropped the price to compete with Loblaws and Metro.

There are 2 other options to get your KH coffee fix this week besides Amazon.
1. Metro @ $9.99 but you'll get it for about half price if you redeem 95 cash airmiles for $10 and you'll get 50 bonus miles back. You are allowed to do this once/day/account. Valid for 4 days, today until Sunday. If you have multiple AM accounts with Mega Miles bonus then splurge Winking Face
2. Loblaws, YIG (Your Independent Grocer) have it for the same $9.99 until Wed. Get/redeem PC Optimum points or high rate cash back (e.g. 4% for Scotia Momentum) from some of your CCs.
I saw my Metro also has a coupon - buy two bags, get one free can of their iced coffee. The can is a pre-made can and small (i think 296mL) but not a bad bonus if buying from the grocery store anyways.

Personally, Ill be stocking up via Amazon S&S
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
JacyS92985 wrote: Does any one here french press? Care to share your specific technique as i can't seem to get the ratios right and i always have some sludge at the bottom of the cup.
First of all, you should try an Aeropress instead. However for the french press, I use an automatic grinder set to the 6 cup setting, on the coarsest possible grind setting.

There is no way around some sediment with a french press, which is why the Aeropress is better.
Apr 13, 2015
385 posts
534 upvotes
Alberta
Cool good to know Amazon carries these. Thanks OP.
In the PC Optimum app, I usually get an offer for 2000 PC Points on each bag of these. So when Superstore has it for 9.99, I pick up a few bags and get $2 in points per bag making them $7.99 each.
Mar 18, 2008
550 posts
221 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: You're grinding it too fine. French press needs a coarse grind.

French press doesn't require a coarse grind, but most people seem to believe it does, just as most believe you have to steep for 4 minutes. You can go much longer than that. It takes quite a while for over extraction to happen with immersion brewing. Getting a clean cup is all about pouring it the right way. As OldAged pointed out, pour slowly so the grounds remain at the bottom throughout the pour. Don't tilt the press upside down in an attempt to get every last drop out.
Apr 2, 2009
332 posts
387 upvotes
vancouver
Can you cancel your Subscribe and Save right after ordering?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
mopex wrote: French press doesn't require a coarse grind, but most people seem to believe it does, just as most believe you have to steep for 4 minutes. You can go much longer than that. It takes quite a while for over extraction to happen with immersion brewing. Getting a clean cup is all about pouring it the right way. As OldAged pointed out, pour slowly so the grounds remain at the bottom throughout the pour. Don't tilt the press upside down in an attempt to get every last drop out.
It's very hard to not get the sludge the poster wanted to avoid if using a fine grind. The screen on most average presses is pretty rough. Pouring super slow is no guarantee either.
Jan 6, 2012
11 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
French press makes dark roast very smooth especially if you like it black. Trick being use a coarser grind( suggest a burr grinder) I let it brew for 4minutes. 20 oz water two scoops of coarse ground beans.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4960 posts
6861 upvotes
GTA
Between 454 Horsepower, Kick Ass and Grizzly Claw, anyone know which has the lowest acid?

Last edited by Kfox on Jun 14th, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 1, 2015
80 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How does Kicking Horse coffee compare to Zavida and Kirkland brands from Costco? I only drink dark roast coffee and usually have it black. Costco sells their whole beans coffee for much cheaper it seems.
Mar 18, 2008
550 posts
221 upvotes
Kfox wrote: Between 454 Horsepower, Kick Ass and Grizzly Claw, anyone know which has the lowest acid?
Probably 454 Horsepower since it is blended with Indonesian beans, which have low acidity.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
gmanto wrote: How does Kicking Horse coffee compare to Zavida and Kirkland brands from Costco? I only drink dark roast coffee and usually have it black. Costco sells their whole beans coffee for much cheaper it seems.
Definitely KH out of the 3 for me.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24204 upvotes
Thanks OP,

I didn't bother the last time these were on sale, but added them to my S&S this round for $8.49

Based on reviews and product description, I bought one each of the following, and after reading the posts here, seems like I made a good choice (for my taste)

Kicking Horse Coffee, Hola, Light Roast, Whole Bean, 1 lb - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01JGQ2ME0
Kicking Horse Coffee, Three Sisters, Medium Roast, Whole Bean, 1 lb - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BW4G9T4
Kicking Horse Coffee, Smart Ass, Medium Roast, Whole Bean, 1 lb - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B015FY4DVC
Last edited by IDStorms on Jun 14th, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3141 posts
1321 upvotes
Toronto
mopex wrote: French press doesn't require a coarse grind, but most people seem to believe it does, just as most believe you have to steep for 4 minutes. You can go much longer than that. It takes quite a while for over extraction to happen with immersion brewing. Getting a clean cup is all about pouring it the right way. As OldAged pointed out, pour slowly so the grounds remain at the bottom throughout the pour. Don't tilt the press upside down in an attempt to get every last drop out.
I agree with you french press doesn't require coarse grind. In fact, I have better results with a finer medium grind than coarse grind as the finer grinds clump together more effectively after it's been pressed. And yes I use a burr grinder. It's certainly the way and angle you pour it that lets any sediments remain at the bottom.
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
JacyS92985 wrote: Does any one here french press? Care to share your specific technique as i can't seem to get the ratios right and i always have some sludge at the bottom of the cup.
This method is popular over at /r/coffee. Try it. I stick to this method always now.

[Inappropriate signature]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
OakAged wrote: They'll be OK, they just taste nicer and have a nicer crema (foam) when they're fresher.
Note that you'll likely get fresher beans from Amazon because they go through high volumes and stock moves through very quickly.
I actually the opposite from previous deal postings. People said they got old stock from Amazon. Not just on this coffee either. Chips and other food stuffs as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 1, 2014
8 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
If you subscribe at the discounted/sale rate, do you retain that rate for the ongoing subscription service? Or will the cost increase back to the regular price after the sale is over?

For example:

Ongoing at $9.49 a month or returning to $16.95 a month after the sale ends?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
anpaul wrote: If you subscribe at the discounted/sale rate, do you retain that rate for the ongoing subscription service? Or will the cost increase back to the regular price after the sale is over?

For example:

Ongoing at $9.49 a month or returning to $16.95 a month after the sale ends?
Price only for first shipment. Back to original after that. Usually we all sign up then cancel subscription after receiving the orders on the first month. I always make sure to have at least 5 items to get the 15% discount for the month. Usually household items and some deals like this one.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)