Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Kicking Horse Coffee (Whole beans)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 8:23 am
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: That's exactly what it is. More oil on the surface. Where else would it come from and what else did you think I talked about?
"The darker the roast the more oil it has"

That is an incorrect statement. You don't see that?

"The darker the roast the more oil it has on the surface" would be correct.

But then you say these oils are carcinogens. Carcinogen on the surface but not in the bean? Is that right?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
charliegee wrote: "The darker the roast the more oil it has"

That is an incorrect statement. You don't see that?

"The darker the roast the more oil it has on the surface" would be correct.

But then you say these oils are carcinogens. Carcinogen on the surface but not in the bean? Is that right?
There's nothing wrong in the context of oily beans. Oily or not oily beans is the context of the conversation - there no need to mention "on the surface" in this context. Me thinks you're nitpicking too much for no purpose.

I also didn't say the oil was the source of the carcinogen. I said "it" (in the context of oily beans, if you didn't get it) for brevity because I didn't want to dwell on the cause of the oil "on the surface", which is too much heat that burns the beans and also creates the carcinogen. All of that was in the brackets as a side note, not the main point of the post.

Do you have any other point for the those questions at hands?
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
What are you saying is the source of the carcinogen, the bean or the oil? or both? or neither (since you can redefine "it" whenever you please based on the "context").

I should probably just start looking at recent studies and not be listening to random folks on the internet on this topic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
KevCnew wrote: I'm looking at cheap manual Burr grinders, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm considering this (seems to have many positive reviews but not sure if fake reviews): https://www.amazon.ca/Kitchen-PROP-STAI ... &ref=plSrc

Will be used nearly daily for French press (medium/coarse grind).

Thanks,
I use THIS one. Comes with 2 glass jars [and most small glass jars you have at home will fit as well!] so it is great if you using more than one bland at the time.

All of these look-a-likes are identical copies of each other, so don't worry to much, just get the cheapest one...

Also got this fancy retro-looking one KALITA as a present... Known brand, but not better [or worse] than the glass one..

For people who'd think it makes the difference, glass grinder comes with ceramic cones, Kalita's metal..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
charliegee wrote: What are you saying is the source of the carcinogen, the bean or the oil? or both? or neither (since you can redefine "it" whenever you please based on the "context").

I should probably just start looking at recent studies and not be listening to random folks on the internet on this topic.
I didn't "listen" to anyone on the internet on this topic. Maybe you should just read my post again since I just mentioned what was the cause of the carcinogen.

Also "listening" to someone on the internet about this topic doesn't make sense, especially there are scientific researches and health guidelines about this - all are better read than listened to. Perhaps, for someone with difficulty of reading in context, listening would be better.
Last edited by tntdeal on Jun 18th, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
KevCnew wrote: I'm looking at cheap manual Burr grinders, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm considering this (seems to have many positive reviews but not sure if fake reviews): https://www.amazon.ca/Kitchen-PROP-STAI ... &ref=plSrc

Will be used nearly daily for French press (medium/coarse grind).

Thanks,

I have a Porlex mini which looks similar to that, although Porlex is a well known reputable brand. For the price I would say the one you've linked looks ok on the face of it. Seems to be a copy of the Porlex jp-30, which is the larger version of the mini.

With these types though it's not so bad for FP but if you want to go pour-over or god forbid espresso grind they are not amazing accurate, you are at the mercy of the springs so you might get an inconsistent grind which can mean inconsistent coffee. French Press should be relatively ok though given you'll be going coarse and some inconsistency is ok.
Ontop of the consistency with one of these smaller burr hand grinders be prepared to put a lot of work in for a full FP pot and the lighter the roast the harder it is.

Personally, I would only use this sort of hand grinder on a dark roast pourover single cup or for travel with an aeropress (the porlex mini fits inside an aeropress).

If you can increase the budget a bit I'd recommend this instead for your use case: https://www.amazon.ca/Hario-Skerton-Cer ... dpSrc=srch
Review (of the pro version which has easier adjustment): https://coffeechronicler.com/gear/grind ... ro-review/
edit: also noticed this one that probably uses the same mechanism in a different shell: https://www.amazon.ca/Hario-Acrylic-Cof ... 98&sr=8-53

If you can increase the budget a fair amount, the next big step up would be http://www.madebyknock.com/ Aergrind. I have a FELD2 and it is MASSIVELY better than the porlex. However it isn't portable (athough the aergrind is) and it's not cheap but built like a tank.

It's certainly cheaper than the Lido or Helor 101 though, neither of which you can get in Canada without paying an extortionate premium when I looked.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
I went with a similar one (SEASEA brand?) - take whichever gives you more things (brush, spoon, extra jar). You can automate it too by adding an Elongated hex coupling nut in place of the thumbscrew and then use a cordless drill with a hex driver attachment. :D

max011 wrote: I use THIS one. Comes with 2 glass jars [and most small glass jars you have at home will fit as well!] so it is great if you using more than one bland at the time.

All of these look-a-likes are identical copies of each other, so don't worry to much, just get the cheapest one...

Also got this fancy retro-looking one KALITA as a present... Known brand, but not better [or worse] than the glass one..

For people who'd think it makes the difference, glass grinder comes with ceramic cones, Kalita's metal..
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: I didn't "listen" to anyone on the internet on this topic. Maybe you should just read my post again since I just mentioned what was the cause of the carcinogen.

Also "listening" to someone on the internet about this topic doesn't make sense, especially there are scientific researches and health guidelines about this - all are better read than listened to. Perhaps, for someone with difficulty of reading in context, listening would be better.
Sorry, could you repeat that? I couldn't quite hear you.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
charliegee wrote: Sorry, could you repeat that? I couldn't quite hear you.
You can always try to listen harder Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up going to Metro to purchase the beans in store. I also noticed they had Balzac's coffee whole beans on sale as well for $9.99 so I picked up a bag to try, if anyone also wants to try.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1437 posts
1348 upvotes
SURREY
Received coffee yesterday. Earliest expiration date stamped was Jan 2019.
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
charliegee wrote: Its ok, a bit over roasted in the dark range. At this price its a reasonable buy, but if you're getting from Amazon you can spend a little more and get "bean around the world" from BC and its much better imho.

Given you can probably get 60 cups out of 1lb of coffee and you likely drink it every morning, I think it's well worth spending a little for a small "luxury".
I would agree with that. It's on the darker side. Best medium roast I've had from them is the Hoodoo Jo. It is roasted well. Slightly oily beans and the flavor is good. A little on the sweeter side with no bitter or sour taste.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
charliegee wrote: With these types though it's not so bad for FP but if you want to go pour-over or god forbid espresso grind they are not amazing accurate, you are at the mercy of the springs so you might get an inconsistent grind which can mean inconsistent coffee. French Press should be relatively ok though given you'll be going coarse and some inconsistency is ok.
Ontop of the consistency with one of these smaller burr hand grinders be prepared to put a lot of work in for a full FP pot and the lighter the roast the harder it is.
I, with God's help, am using these [two models I linked above] for espresso all the time for quite some time. This is because they DO an excellent job in consistent fine grind for espresso, and - I tried and tested it - even for the Turkish cofee. If one is to look for these qualities in an electric burr grinder, that will put you in the several hundreds dollars range. Trust me, I went that way, I tried it and this is the cheapst way to get great espresso size grind.

My two cents, and my experience only.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
mangoman wrote: I went with a similar one (SEASEA brand?) - take whichever gives you more things (brush, spoon, extra jar). You can automate it too by adding an Elongated hex coupling nut in place of the thumbscrew and then use a cordless drill with a hex driver attachment. :D
Just make sure you can regulate the speed - if it is going too fast, small grinding stones can overheat and additionally "roast" your coffee, turning it overly dark... [That is the one of the main problems with the cheap electric burr grinders.]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
Yup, only half trigger and you do also need to put it to the correct torque setting (I'm doing fine grind for espresso) so that it doesn't jam.

max011 wrote: Just make sure you can regulate the speed - if it is going too fast, small grinding stones can overheat and additionally "roast" your coffee, turning it overly dark... [That is the one of the main problems with the cheap electric burr grinders.]
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
max011 wrote: I, with God's help, am using these [two models I linked above] for espresso all the time for quite some time. This is because they DO an excellent job in consistent fine grind for espresso, and - I tried and tested it - even for the Turkish cofee. If one is to look for these qualities in an electric burr grinder, that will put you in the several hundreds dollars range. Trust me, I went that way, I tried it and this is the cheapst way to get great espresso size grind.

My two cents, and my experience only.
Oh yeah of course it's possible, I've made espresso grind with my Porlex. Then I made it with my Feld2 and wondered how I lived without it before that day :)

I think this comes down to beans, variety and roast and how forgiving they are but you are right its definately doable and perhaps God shines his divine light on some of us more than others.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
charliegee wrote: What are you saying is the source of the carcinogen, the bean or the oil?
Don't know what you guys are debating about but whatever is burnt is not good for us. Smokers get lung cancer, people who eat smoked and BBQ foods the most get GI cancers. To what extent this applies to coffee, no idea. Everything in moderation.

That said, how is the Kicking Horse Coffee, Three Sisters, Medium Roast, Ground, 284g? I'm no connoisseur, my PC West Coast Dark is almost finished.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
charliegee wrote: Oh yeah of course it's possible, I've made espresso grind with my Porlex. Then I made it with my Feld2 and wondered how I lived without it before that day :)

I think this comes down to beans, variety and roast and how forgiving they are but you are right its definately doable and perhaps God shines his divine light on some of us more than others.
Wait until you get Lido... :-)
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest, I find this coffee revolting. I was always skeptical but thought I'd give the brand chance given RFD love for the brand and competitive pricing.

I love dark roasted coffee and have been drinking 20+ years, but the 454 blend is disgusting. I had high hopes when I opened the bag and there were what looked like nicely roasted oily beans. When brewed - it literally tasted and smelled like an ashtray. The Grizzly Claw fare just a bit better.

If anyone hasn't tried this before - suggest you maybe not buy more than one bag at a time (on sale fairly regularly at grocery stores)/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)