• Feb 19th, 2016 10:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2004
2310 posts
399 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Kindle = $65 & Kindle Paperwhite = $120

Limited time.

Regular Kindle on-sale for $65. (Reg. $80): http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KDRU028/ref= ... _i=desktop

Paperwhite on-sale for $120. (Reg. $140)http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00QJDU3KY/ref=fs_clw

They also have the Paperwhite 3G on-sale for $190. (Reg. $210):http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QJDOC60/ref=ods_dps_ca

33 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2392 posts
2584 upvotes
Calgary
Reviewers said Amazon Kindle of not good for Canadians.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Aug 5, 2007
742 posts
150 upvotes
If I buy a Kindle from Amazon.ca would I be able to use my Amazon.com account on it?

The Canadian Kindle store is pretty pathetic compared to the American one so I never bothered to migrate my old account and I don’t want to be forced to do that if I get one of these.

EDIT: Nevermind, got my answer: Yeah you can use it with an Amazon.com account. Might want to mark it as a gift so so there's no account registered with the device so you can use another account immediately.
Jan 5, 2010
159 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa
Marphyin wrote:
Nov 25th, 2015 10:06 am
Reviewers said Amazon Kindle of not good for Canadians.
Really? What were the issues? I've had a couple kindle's for the last three or four years and haven't had many issues. They're pretty simple devices. I'm not questioning you, just curious what I'm missing out on.
Dec 29, 2001
817 posts
107 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
Yes you can still use your Amazon.com account with the Kindle. You will only be able to purchase Kindle titles in the U.S not Canada..
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2104 posts
342 upvotes
arth33 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2015 10:15 am
Really? What were the issues? I've had a couple kindle's for the last three or four years and haven't had many issues. They're pretty simple devices. I'm not questioning you, just curious what I'm missing out on.
The main issue with kindles is the file formats they read. The major non-kindle format is epub, which kindles can't read at all. It is also the format the canadian libraries use.

Because of this you can't read canadian library e-books without downloading the ebook in epub, stripping it of its DRM, and converting it to .mobi, and then sending it your kindle.

In comparison Kobo devices read epub natively and can read borrowed library ebooks without converting them.

That's the only real problem with canadians and kindles, aside from the selection on amazon itself.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1771 posts
1033 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote:
Nov 25th, 2015 10:51 am
The main issue with kindles is the file formats they read. The major non-kindle format is epub, which kindles can't read at all. It is also the format the canadian libraries use.

Because of this you can't read canadian library e-books without downloading the ebook in epub, stripping it of its DRM, and converting it to .mobi, and then sending it your kindle.

In comparison Kobo devices read epub natively and can read borrowed library ebooks without converting them.

That's the only real problem with canadians and kindles, aside from the selection on amazon itself.
Yeah, it's a minor annoyance, but converting is very easy and usually quite well done. Considering how long it take me to read a book, I really don't mind the extra minute of prep work upfront.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3275 posts
1695 upvotes
Pretty small discounts ranging from $15-20. extremely unimpressed
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2104 posts
342 upvotes
wildzero wrote:
Nov 25th, 2015 10:59 am
Yeah, it's a minor annoyance, but converting is very easy and usually quite well done. Considering how long it take me to read a book, I really don't mind the extra minute of prep work upfront.
It's just annoying, and a move to try to restrict where people can get their books from. If you got your grandparents a kindle, they'd have problems converting the books and end up just buying stuff off amazon. That's the point.
Jun 7, 2008
447 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
For what's it worth to anyone...I have found the dependability of the Kindle miles above that of the Kobo readers...went through a Kobo a year...been about 3 years with my Kindle....maybe I got 3 bad ones???....but I will say the Kobo has a great warranty...if you can get a person to answer the phone.

For those with issues on formats I use the free Calibre software to convert my books....works great...

Hope that helps
Dec 10, 2005
739 posts
306 upvotes
a few months ago paperwhite was $99 for students. Hopefully there is further discount on Friday.
Aug 22, 2005
92 posts
89 upvotes
I bought a kindle paperwhite from amazon.ca two month ago, then I tried to buy ebooks from amazon.com. I have an amazon.com account with a US address. They checked my IP during the transaction and said I'm in the wrong country.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2959 posts
1389 upvotes
ecc29 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2015 12:19 pm
I bought a kindle paperwhite from amazon.ca two month ago, then I tried to buy ebooks from amazon.com. I have an amazon.com account with a US address. They checked my IP during the transaction and said I'm in the wrong country.
Adjusting your IP using your VPN will resolve that issue.
Jul 27, 2004
816 posts
112 upvotes
ecc29 wrote:
That doesn't make sense. If you're on a trip and decide to buy a travel book, it should be an option to be able to do so. The last time I bought a Kindle book on amazon.com was back in late September.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17148 posts
23665 upvotes
ONTARIO
ecc29 wrote:
They don't check your IP.

It's more likely that when you bought your Paperwhite from Amazon.ca it came pre-registered to your Amazon.ca account, which is Canadian.
So to use it on the US Kindle store (amazon.com) you first need to de-register it from your Amazon.ca account and register it with your Amazon.com one.