Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Amazon.ca]Kindle Paperwhite - $119

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2014 11:12 pm
Tags:
None
67 replies
Oct 18, 2009
96 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary
Is this the 2nd gen Paperwhite? Is the third gen coming soon?
Apr 28, 2014
120 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just wanted to let you know guys that I bought my Paperwhite a few days ago and after seeing the promotion I called the customer service and they refunded me $20.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Love my Paperwhite, got me back into reading instantly.
Jun 13, 2007
101 posts
100 upvotes
Do kindles ever go on sale for boxing day or black friday? Debating on whether I should jump on this or wait.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1818 posts
695 upvotes
Canada
This is the second gen model. last year had a $10 off sale. $20 off is decent. great reader, front lit so it's easy on your eyes at night.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3225 posts
2871 upvotes
GTA Ontario
squadz wrote: Love my Paperwhite, got me back into reading instantly.
Me too! And it's the perfect way to carry and read a massive trilogy or omnibus on the train, at the beach, in bed, etc. Love that often the e-book version of a book is cheaper than the printed version, and instant downloads, and no matter how rare or popular the book it can't go out of stock.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3225 posts
2871 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Wrocky wrote: Looks like it has dropped $20 to make way for the model with double the memory. Not that I'd every have 1000 books, but the new one will hold 2,000.

http://gigjets.com/08/18071-amazon-incr ... e-storage/
Funny how it's tempting to get a model with more memory, when you don't need it. How many books do you need loaded at once? If you do read more than one book at a time, you can already load several at once, and it's very quick and easy to delete them when done and load the next one (or more) from your PC. If you haven't yet, check out Calibre software. Free and very cool library manager and transfer tool for e-readers. I store my library on my NAS and load my Kindle via USB or e-mail. (You can also set up a server to upload directly via WiFi but I don't see the need as my Kindle content doesn't change often enough to warrant it, and I'm at my PC often enough anyway.)
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1940 posts
3055 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Wrocky wrote: Looks like it has dropped $20 to make way for the model with double the memory. Not that I'd every have 1000 books, but the new one will hold 2,000.

http://gigjets.com/08/18071-amazon-incr ... e-storage/
Actually the 3rd generation kindle paperwhite is rumored to be a major re-design. Major features are going to include 300DPI screen (to compete with Aura HD), better topography, flush all glass front (instead of the current recessed design) and page turn buttons.

Apparently it was supposed to be out by Q2 but there has been no news yet. Amazon has released their kindles in September/October for the last few years so I guess this sale is a good indicator that the new version is on the way!

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/amazon ... next-year/
Deal Addict
May 6, 2009
1286 posts
305 upvotes
Ottawa
Canada's been shipping 4gb Paperwhites for weeks. You only get a 2gb one if you buy it in the US.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1940 posts
3055 upvotes
VANCOUVER
maowkaroo wrote: Do kindles ever go on sale for boxing day or black friday? Debating on whether I should jump on this or wait.
This sale is pretty good if you need a Kindle right away. Kindles usually never go on sale since they're sold at cost. The Amazon model is to sell the kindle for cheap and recoup their investment through book sales.

Also these are hot Christmas gifts and are usually sold out around december so boxing day sales are not a thing. Maybe black friday....
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2541 posts
961 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
I absolutely love my Kindle Paperwhite as well, and although I'm approaching the 1000 book mark.. I don't feel like I would ever need more memory, as you can just delete some of the books you've already read and they're backed up on the cloud or on your desktop anyways.. jump on this deal if you're thinking of buying one unless the next model has some design improvements in addition to the extra memory.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
More on-board storage is worse than a wasted investment, it slows down the processing, is more apt to cause a lock-up, and most importantly, creates delays in finding a suitable book to read. None of the ereaders are any good at library management since they are glorified etch-a-sketches with minimal processing power so as to ensure extended battery life. I've had them all, various models from Sony, every Kindle and every Kobo ever sold, even a Nook.

Use your desktop to manage your library with the free, suburb calibre software and limit your storage on the device to less than a hundred books that you have personally selected from your desktop library with the intention to read. Even with the one hundred or so on your device, you would want to create a number of folders to catalog (for quick access) fiction, non-fiction, reference, humor, completed, etc.

My current ereader is the Kobo AuraHD but I did enjoy my Aura, particularly its compact size. My wife loves her Kindle PaperWhite.

The calibre software renders any concern about proprietary formats a non-issue with automatic conversion depending upon the device to which you are transferring books and easily available plug-ins will dispense with DRM issues although a newsgroup subscription will provide drm free access to pretty well any book ever released in a digital format.
[IMG]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90 ... resnap.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90 ... esnap2.jpg[/IMG]
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24148 posts
43040 upvotes
ONTARIO
Not surprised there is a sale for Kindles. It's around this time each year they introduce their newest model. I suspect the 3rd gen will be released in October/November and January for Canada.

The Paperwhite has been my absolutely favourite ereader to date. I had no plans to upgrade from the Kindle Keyboard 3G because I was fine with it and my Amazon lighted cover, but I ended up getting a Paperwhite for free so I ended up retiring the KK and made the switch. The built-in front light on these are amazing. It goes from 1-25 brightness and I find at night just a setting of 8-10 is bright enough for me. 25 is crazy bright.
I would have rather it had physical page turn buttons like the KK, but you get used to the touch swiping eventually.

Plus you can get really nice cases for the Paperwhite for dirt cheap compared to the official Amazon version. My $6 case is awesome.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
I have an older Kindle, the one with the keyboard and I love it. Reading is so easy and I use Calibre for the interface.

i dont have any need to upgrade but just in general I recommend any Kindle if you like to read, its like the future is here v paper books. Amazon sells more ebooks than paper books.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
3169 posts
2079 upvotes
Toronto
Over 1000 books, yet my library in Calibre shows 2GB with over 1000 books. Does that mean the Kindle only holds 2GB? My Nook Color alone is 8GB
If you're seeing this message, it means I cared enough to downvote or felt the need to upvote. Either way you get a👎/ 👍 so be grateful that your thread is being bumped
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
1366 posts
280 upvotes
formicae wrote: Canada's been shipping 4gb Paperwhites for weeks. You only get a 2gb one if you buy it in the US.
can anyone confirm this?
True RFD spirit, care about every PENNY.

"The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money."
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1457 posts
889 upvotes
JohnB wrote: Amazon sells more ebooks than paper books.
My only complaint is the cost is still about the same. I also wish if you had previously bought a book through them the ebook would be at a discount, instead of having to resort to other methods.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24148 posts
43040 upvotes
ONTARIO
I really like how they are integrating GoodReads with the Kindle. I am a big fan of GoodReads, I use them all the time to get book recommendations, read and write reviews, etc. It'll be handy to be able to do all that easily within the Kindle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)