Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Res Reader (300 ppi) with Light, Wi-Fi $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 5:43 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2009
660 posts
201 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Res Reader (300 ppi) with Light, Wi-Fi $99.99

This is a good price for Paperwhite Hi-resolution Kindle; hasn't gone below that in the past.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2878 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
It was sitting at that price for a while @BF. Got it for $89 with some coupons... Oh I L.O.V.E. it!!!

I am so glad I got read of that terrible, terrible Kobo Glo HD!
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1387 posts
389 upvotes
Markham
was that price during black friday i believe.
Picked one up for a christmas presenet then :)

Tho curious, does anyone know how the free 3g on these work? whats the limitation on it?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3987 posts
929 upvotes
Vancouver
lildevilx wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 5:39 am

Tho curious, does anyone know how the free 3g on these work? whats the limitation on it?
You pay a heavy premium for anytime syncing to the cloud, downloading books at anytime, anytime definition look up, and free access to Wikipedia and Amazon whenever. It probably comes with a battery hit as well.

Personally, books last forever for me, and by the time you're searching for your next fix, there's a very good chance you'll find some sort of free wi-fi to be able to download your book (that's if you didn't pre-load it beforehand). I don't need my reading progress synced 24/7 and while definitions are nice to have, I don't need them while commuting/travelling.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3106 posts
1822 upvotes
Vancouver
lildevilx wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 5:39 am

I believe this is how it works but i didnt buy one yet

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201733590

Not sure if i read enough to need this over just using a tablet
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1387 posts
389 upvotes
Markham
lhsonic wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 5:48 am
You pay a heavy premium for anytime syncing to the cloud, downloading books at anytime, anytime definition look up, and free access to Wikipedia and Amazon whenever. It probably comes with a battery hit as well.

Personally, books last forever for me, and by the time you're searching for your next fix, there's a very good chance you'll find some sort of free wi-fi to be able to download your book (that's if you didn't pre-load it beforehand). I don't need my reading progress synced 24/7 and while definitions are nice to have, I don't need them while commuting/travelling.
Paigne wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 5:50 am
I believe this is how it works but i didnt buy one yet

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201733590

Not sure if i read enough to need this over just using a tablet
Lol thanks guys,
Not that i'm interested but just curious what it gives you :P
seems interesting and something handly to have, but prob not at a 2x price premium on it.
Oct 29, 2016
219 posts
107 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 4:24 am
It was sitting at that price for a while @BF. Got it for $89 with some coupons... Oh I L.O.V.E. it!!!

still got them coupons?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2878 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
User381589 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 6:21 pm
still got them coupons?
Sorry for misunderstanding, it was Amazon's targeted promotions and some gift cards I got at that time, not some general "coupons"...

Like: "Add $100 to your Amazon gift card - receive $5 etc... which made a lot of sense because the price is $100 anyway.. Than $5 gift card from BC Hydro for switching to paperless bills..and some more...
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2878 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
lhsonic wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 5:48 am
I don't need my reading progress synced 24/7 and while definitions are nice to have, I don't need them while commuting/travelling.
Actually, definitions work off line as well; you get a bunch of free off-line dictionaries from Amazon that come with the purchase, and you can download on your Kindle [WiFi or USB connection] and use it anytime...

Edit:

It will complain that Wikipedia cannot be reached while offline but it's OK...
Q.T.
Dec 25, 2009
679 posts
152 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 4:24 am

Why is this better than kobo glo HD?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2878 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
In short: Way faster, smooth page turns. Stable settings and connections. [IMHO] better back-light... Simply, better practical usability. Comes with the price tag: Calibre becomes your favorite tool cuz you have to convert everything non-Amazon; emails better be at your hand reach to send stuff to your Kindle, and that requires tight connection with Amazon account, etc...

[Had 2 GLO HDs and both were ridden with hardware problems. On software side, I am missing a lot on their hackabillity (being based on Linux) open epub format, borrowing books straight from the library and - most of all - direct, straight connection to Pocket saved articles...

So nothing is perfect.

But once I load Kindle with what I need at the moment - that's it; just enjoying reading... No wresling with forgotten settings, no "refreshing" of pages... loooooong "refreshing" of pages - and it happened whenever you touch it no matter if you put "every 6 pages" in the Setup... etc... I could go on, but you get the picture I hope... These were probably the reasons why GLO HD was discontinued.
Q.T.
Sep 24, 2006
862 posts
40 upvotes
looks like its back to the ripoff price of $140, 40% price jump overnight since I had it in my cart from yours truly SCAMazon.com, I see how they got their name. Mods this is expired
Jul 22, 2006
276 posts
237 upvotes
staffpro wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 10:37 am
looks like its back to the ripoff price of $140, 40% price jump overnight since I had it in my cart from yours truly SCAMazon.com, I see how they got their name. Mods this is expired
Guess what? That's the normal price for the Kindle Paperwhite. Just because you didn't have the wisdom to buy it when the price was right doesn't make it a ripoff price or a scam. Some would say it's worth it for the regular price and most of us know that Amazon regularly puts these on sale for $99.99.

You snooze, you lose and anyone who knows anything about amazon knows this old adage.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1266 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
staffpro wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 10:37 am
Salty