Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Res Reader (300 ppi) with Light, Wi-Fi $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2018 9:17 am
Jan 19, 2014
329 posts
576 upvotes
Vancouver
That doesn't sound very fun. Guess the kobo stays with its owner, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
HoneyMustardMiso wrote: Regarding library eBooks, how easy is it to read them on a first gen kobo? Friend has one and I'm considering buying it off him to supplement my paperwhite.
Not worth it, I think...

HOWEVER, if you wanna go cheap route, try getting Kindle 4 [or Kindle Touch] used, locally, for a few bucks; it is well worth it! Only real difference you will see is the lack of backlight... I sold my Kindle 4 just a month or two back, after jumping on the Paperwhite train - but I do most of my reading in the bad before sleeping so that was the only reason for me.

Edit:
Never mind, didn't realize you already have a Paperwhite... :-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Feb 26, 2012
17 posts
TORONTO
You can use Calibre, and convert your ebooks from other formats to mobi and then email them to your kindle account- Calibre provides that interface, or you can just send any mobi file (attached to your email) to your kindle account.
Nov 18, 2014
655 posts
616 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks! Ordered with the cover. Finally some use for the Mazda amazon gift cards...
Dec 17, 2002
443 posts
23 upvotes
Is that a chance to convert zinio magazine to Kindle paperwhite?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2001
1025 posts
298 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
akabadi wrote: You can use Calibre, and convert your ebooks from other formats to mobi and then email them to your kindle account- Calibre provides that interface, or you can just send any mobi file (attached to your email) to your kindle account.
Agreed Calibre is an amazing way to convert ebooks to read on Kindle
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
max011 wrote: First, don't worry about your books - you can read any of the books you have on both Kindle and Kobo.

Second, if GLO HD works well for you - no need to change at all... I had unfortunate experience with Glo [2 of them, to be precise] and it was the _only_ reason I switched to Kindle paperwhite [I first got an used Kindle 4th Generation and it was _amazing_ thing, even at 4 years old.... Was only lacking the bac klight and and all these 'pinch-on' LED lights just can't do the good job, so I got me a Paperwhite.]

And third [reason I got Glo in the first place] Glo is highly hackable [being based on Linux] and if it is something you are interested in doing, you can experiment a lot! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I have the original Kobo Glo (not HD) but I got it for $40 only a month old, so I've decided it's not worth upgrading yet. When I am ready to upgrade maybe I'll try hacking it. :D Thanks!
[Inappropriate signature]
Jun 29, 2004
223 posts
23 upvotes
Helix00 wrote: I want to buy it but I'm worried a new model is around the corner. This one came out in 2015 I believe.
I was thinking the exact same thing..
:D
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2198 posts
2414 upvotes
theresa4444 wrote: I was thinking the exact same thing..
Who cares. Historically the changes between models has been minimal.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1155 posts
288 upvotes
max011 wrote: You might want to consider something like this.

Paperwhite has a great feeling to touch and snap-on case would just make it heavier and awkward to hold.
Thanks for the solid post.
Sep 30, 2007
21 posts
2 upvotes
New to the e-reader world - is the 2 year warranty/accidental protection plan worth it for a Paperwhite?
Thanks!
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes
Does anyone know why Calibre runs so slowly - it takes me over 10 minutes to convert and send a file. Am I doing it wrong?

J/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
bob318 wrote: Is that a chance to convert zinio magazine to Kindle paperwhite?
If Zinio magazines are working w/Pocket, there are several applications out there that can forward saved Pocket articles to Kindle. Also, you can do it using Calibre as well...

Other way is to install software PDF Printer on you comp, "print" articles to .pdf and email to your Kindle address... [but .pdf is generally a bad choice of format..]

It's doable when you start thinking out of a box...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
randomroyalty wrote: Libraries for the most part use Overdrive, which is based on Adobe Digital Editions encrypted epub format. So if this is something you want, you have to get an eReader that uses Digital Editions as its rendering engine (e.g. Kobo, or Nook), or the Fire tablet (where you can install the Bluefire app and borrow books from the library).
max011 wrote: Not true. There are easy workarounds.
randomroyalty wrote: Challenge.

Hahahaha… Good one…

Here: You don’t have to get a new hardware to be able to use library books [in Canada; cuz it is working out of the box for USA libraries] on your Paperwhite.

So, once again, Calibre is your tool of choice, with certain plug-ins. And don’t wary, there are a lot of discussions on this topic all over the Net; it is not unethical, and most likely not illegal to get read of DRM in [one of these] way because you legally borrowed and using your library books. Just don’t forget to delete them on time, and you are golden.

And Apprentice Alf’s Blog could give you some other info & tools…
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
Jakinthe wrote: Does anyone know why Calibre runs so slowly - it takes me over 10 minutes to convert and send a file. Am I doing it wrong?

J/
Could happen sometimes, but should not be a rule...

Depends on size of the book, formats it's dealing with, your hardware etc...

Just try with some short book in, say, epub and send it to Kindle... if that takes a long time to convert too, it might be something with your installation of Calibre [reinstall] or USB/Wireless connection to Kindle or, or, or...
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1473 posts
1178 upvotes
Montreal
max011 wrote: Hahahaha… Good one…

Here: You don’t have to get a new hardware to be able to use library books [in Canada; cuz it is working out of the box for USA libraries] on your Paperwhite.

So, once again, Calibre is your tool of choice, with certain plug-ins. And don’t wary, there are a lot of discussions on this topic all over the Net; it is not unethical, and most likely not illegal to get read of DRM in [one of these] way because you legally borrowed and using your library books. Just don’t forget to delete them on time, and you are golden.

And Apprentice Alf’s Blog could give you some other info & tools…
Currently (AFAIK) Canadian libraries are all on Overdrive with ADE 4.5, DRM on the new hardened 4.5 ADE has yet to be broken. If your library isn't up to this version, there are tools to crack (but lots of steps). However to be clear, if decryption is possible, yes you can easily convert an epub to mobi and put it on your Kindle.

In fact it is easier to go the other way... decrypting .mobi files and converting to epub and putting on your Kobo is not so hard.

For me, I couldn't be bothered... the Amazon Kindle experience is fantastic, and borrowing epubs from the public library is frustrating. Also, my livelihood depends on people paying for published content. I am generally against DRM but I do understand why in certain contexts (especially in the specialized content that I work in) why it is needed.