Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Jan 6, 2007
24 posts
4 upvotes
midg8 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 7:51 pm
Got mine today. I've been using it for an hour or so and so far so good. The screen is great. Battery life loods good, charged it to 99% and after an hour of use still 98%. No network issues, connected to my home network without issue. Installed Netflix and works great.

Trying to figure out offline GPS still.

PS. Writing this from the Le Pan.

Did anyone notice if Le Pan 2 has weaker wifi signal comparing to Le Pan 1?
My new gen2 is showing significantpy weaker signal and in some corners of my small townhouse, shows no signal. I wonder this is what evevryone is experiencing, or should I simply exchange it??
Dec 6, 2004
635 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
Derfel wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 7:56 pm
Uh... Skype?

You got Skype to work on the Le Pan? I just received it today with the intention of getting it up and ready for my mother, by putting on Skype if it was available. Any insight on installing and readying Skype for the Le Pan would be appreciated. I assume Derfel, you are Android savvy. If so, can a newbie to Android navigate their way around ?

Also as i stated, just received my Le Pan today, without a user guide or 2GB Micro card. Anyone else get this as their package contents? I called Amazon and they are sending me a replacement, no questions asked. However i was just curious if anyone else encountered those missing items in their packaging?

Thanks to all replies.
Jan 6, 2007
24 posts
4 upvotes
It's funny that SPRINGPAD App is compatible with lepan 1 but not with 2. Also lets golf 3d is not compatiblw with 2 either.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1217 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
mercury4 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 8:13 pm
You got Skype to work on the Le Pan? I just received it today with the intention of getting it up and ready for my mother, by putting on Skype if it was available. Any insight on installing and readying Skype for the Le Pan would be appreciated. I assume Derfel, you are Android savvy. If so, can a newbie to Android navigate their way around ?

Also as i stated, just received my Le Pan today, without a user guide or 2GB Micro card. Anyone else get this as their package contents? I called Amazon and they are sending me a replacement, no questions asked. However i was just curious if anyone else encountered those missing items in their packaging?

Thanks to all replies.

I had both of those items in my packaging. Sounds like you got an opened unit. I would be louder in my complaints to Amazon.

The newest version of Skype available on the Android Market works with the LePan flashed with the newest firmware, no problems. Just install, set up and go.
Jan 13, 2004
788 posts
35 upvotes
Markham
got skype on the le pan, can't get a video call, there is no option for it

i only see voice call, send im, send file once i click on a person's name
Sep 18, 2008
537 posts
122 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 4:19 pm
You setup the wifi disconnect policy to never and this should solve your issue.

You have been thanked! Thanks!
Dec 6, 2004
635 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
Derfel wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 8:56 pm
I had both of those items in my packaging. Sounds like you got an opened unit. I would be louder in my complaints to Amazon.

The newest version of Skype available on the Android Market works with the LePan flashed with the newest firmware, no problems. Just install, set up and go.
You've been thanked!

Thanks again..

BTW. Not to sound like a newbie, but where do i find the android apps for the Le Pan? Gee, I guess i do sound like a newbie!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1217 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
mercury4 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 9:25 pm
BTW. Not to sound like a newbie, but where do i find the android apps for the Le Pan? Gee, I guess i do sound like a newbie!
It's all good - you should have a link on one of your screens for the Android Market - that's the place to look to start!
Jun 1, 2005
203 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
mercury4 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks to all replies.

I realized that i also didnt get a 2gb microsd card.. is there an actual user guide booklet or just the 1page quick setup sheet? I will contact amazon re this and that my internal display shows some discoloration inlock mode.

In terms of the scroll speed on websites, are people experiencing lag? It is noticeably slower than the scroll on iphone/ipad. Just wondering if this is normal.
Nov 12, 2005
223 posts
36 upvotes
DpX wrote:
Jan 14th, 2012 4:03 am
I realized that i also didnt get a 2gb microsd card.. is there an actual user guide booklet or just the 1page quick setup sheet? I will contact amazon re this and that my internal display shows some discoloration inlock mode.

In terms of the scroll speed on websites, are people experiencing lag? It is noticeably slower than the scroll on iphone/ipad. Just wondering if this is normal.

Android doesn't prioritize UI elements like iOS does. Also the 970 is simply slow. I would try an alternate browser like boat mini and enable plugins on demand only. It won't be fast but it might be a bit better.
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
[quote="DpX" post_id="14100225" time="1326531810" user_id="24741"]I realized that i also didnt get a 2gb microsd card..

I had the same impression that my 2GB was not in the box, but actually it is already installed in the slot which is between the 30-pin connector and the volume control.
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
Derfel wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 11:17 pm
It's all good - you should have a link on one of your screens for the Android Market - that's the place to look to start!

Try also the Applanet Market. Will need to install applanet.apk file.
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
Also as i stated, just received my Le Pan today, without a user guide or 2GB Micro card. Thanks to all replies.[/QUOTE]

I had the same impression that my 2GB was not in the box, but actually it is already installed in the slot which is between the 30-pin connector and the volume control.
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
[quote="midg8" post_id="14098433" time="1326502302" user_id="5489"]Got mine today. I've been using it for an hour or so and so far so good. The screen is great. Battery life loods good, charged it to 99% and after an hour of use still 98%. No network issues, connected to my home network without issue. Installed Netflix and works great.

Trying to figure out offline GPS still.

For GPS, I am using NAVIGON Gmbh Version 4.0.1 (build.1626,NK27). Download from Applanet Market. Works just like a standard GPS, at least 5 to 7 satellites visible at a time.
ADDON: The apps was used to evaluate/test the working of built-in GPS. I have my own stand alone dedicated Garmin GPS if I have to find my way around. This is to clarify people who are concerned about using unpaid apps. As I always noted, you like it, buy it.
Jul 15, 2003
694 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
iluvagooddeal wrote:
Jan 14th, 2012 7:08 am
For GPS, I am using NAVIGON Gmbh Version 4.0.1 (build.1626,NK27). Download from Applanet Market. Works just like a standard GPS, at least 5 to 7 satellites visible at a time.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think NAVIGON is supported on 3.2.1. At least that's what the market place told me. I installed the trial for Sygic. Seems pretty good. I'll try it out and decide if I want to pay for it when the trial expires.