Ongoing Deal Discussion

Locked: [Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Mar 18, 2009
17 posts
8 upvotes
I've had it for 2 days now. Running firmware 4431 and haven't had any issues connecting to WPA/WPA2 (at home and work). I'm quite pleased with my purchase and am even contemplating getting another as an Xmas present. But I might just wait for the new version and give this one away...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8673 posts
1564 upvotes
Winnipeg
Has anyone tried the old disable upnp on their router. Its always been the thing for finiky standalone devices with wifi.
Dec 25, 2006
358 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
aasoror wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 10:41 am
Have upgraded to the latest firmware ?

I did, but the same result. Maybe I just have a lemon. BTW, for those who haven't tried, the Dolphin HD browser is much nicer than the native browser that comes on the tablet. I tested them all, and this one was the nicest and fastest.
Feb 8, 2008
189 posts
9 upvotes
Edmonton
Would ppl buy this over the 199$ galaxy thats going on for the TD credit card promos?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1123 posts
225 upvotes
Gatineau
dodokid wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 11:40 am
Would ppl buy this over the 199$ galaxy thats going on for the TD credit card promos?

Never in a thousand years. Samsung Tab is way up there with the best tablets. But your (and my, as I have a TD card too) chances of winning are really weak...
Feb 8, 2008
189 posts
9 upvotes
Edmonton
how about in comparison to the playbook?

im probably just using it for web surfing, video surfing, maybe a bit of apps.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18889 posts
9991 upvotes
Kitchener
ck01 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 11:51 am
But your (and my, as I have a TD card too) chances of winning are really weak...

Thats exactly the point, you couldn't really call the TD promos as regular price or that its available for any one like the TC970
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1223 posts
180 upvotes
Calgary
dodokid wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 11:59 am

No question in my mind - this is a better tablet than the playbook. Android apps availability makes it better, as well as size. Then again, if you are already a Blackberry user, then the Playbook is a nice addition.

The TD Visa deal on the Galaxy is an excellent price... on the 200 that were available nation-wide. Most people won't even get close to grabbing one.

The fact that I was able to get this for $170 after taxes tells me I got a decent deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one custom ROM come out for it that might solve the WiFi issue...

Also - rooting it is worth it, as I set up SetCPU on my tablet to underclock when the screen is off to save battery life.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18889 posts
9991 upvotes
Kitchener
dodokid wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 11:59 am

It all comes down to playbook OS vs. Android.
Oct 13, 2011
4 posts
WINNIPEG
I researched this machine out of curiosity. ( I think I will go for the 16G Blackberry Playbook at $199. It sold out in a day, but is now available until Dec 1, 2011). The Le Pan got excellent reviews at over $200, so at $169 it seems like a steal. Bottom line reviews: super screen, pretty well built, older operating system (Android 2.2) but responds well, lots of apps, Skype and Netflix require special downloads which are easy to find. First 4 reviews were all super positive. I don't own one so go to Amazon ca reviews before buying to see for yourself.
Oct 13, 2011
4 posts
WINNIPEG
DaWinman wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 8:54 am
Although it looks good for the price, no back-mounted camera + only 2GB of internal storage make it a tough sell. I am in the market for a cheap Android tablet, but I think I'll wait to see if the rumors are true and how the Transformer/Iconia pans out.
Takes an expansion card for lots of memory.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2588 posts
344 upvotes
Come on, now that I made the jump and placed an order is when folks decide to start talking about the problems with this device? :cry:
Im feeling purchase guilt already and it has not even been shipped yet. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1742 posts
78 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 12:56 pm
Come on, now that I made the jump and placed an order is when folks decide to start talking about the problems with this device? :cry:

I bought this as a gift for my mom and unboxed it to set it up. I really like it. Web browsing is surprisingly snappy. I prefer it over the iPad to be honest.

The WPA issue has been documented in other reviews. If you're using WPA in your home network then you will have issues. I've had zero trouble with WEP.
Dec 25, 2006
358 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
HammerJoe wrote:

Yours might be fine. Not everyone is having problems. Worse case scenario is that you have to send it back to Amazon. They pay the shipping on the return, so you won't be out anything.
Oct 13, 2011
4 posts
WINNIPEG
HammerJoe wrote:
I agree. I got all hyped and was even considering dropping the idea of the Playbook for this. Now I'm back on the Playbook. It has excellent reviews and is only limited by apps. But these will get better while Android 2.2 is not upgradeable. The WiFi issue bugs me, although I only use wep as nothing I do online is a big secret, but a lot of people would have been more cautious if these issues had been revealed first. I guess most were 1st impressions. Still, if the folks who liked the Le Pan still like it, maybe they could re-post to give others some assurance.