Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7150 posts
1242 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
It doesn't matter how many you have running in the background. When the screen shuts off the wifi connection as well as all the running apps go to sleep mode.
I've had the wifi turned on with the bluetooth, gps, and after the battery charged to full, 24 hrs of stand by later my battery was still at 100%. I couldn't believe it.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3334 posts
533 upvotes
GTA
Apparently since I've already had two 'defective' Le Pans, they aren't going to ship me a replacement. Instead, they are going to give me a straight refund. :(
I'm undecided whether to try my luck again and order it at $200 (originally bought mine for $169), give the Le Pan II a shot or look elsewhere (K1? a100/a500?). *sigh*

Edit: Does the Le Pan II fit the Truss touchpad case? Just wondering. :D
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3008 posts
344 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Yes, it fits perfectly. They look identical minus the soft touch buttons.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10787 posts
975 upvotes
I hate to be the idiot that comes to the mobilicity thread and asks "can I use iphone4?".

But...

if I get a le pan....can I keep upgrading to the newest version of android like ICS for now and whatever comes next?
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
jaszy wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 2:41 pm
Apparently since I've already had two 'defective' Le Pans, they aren't going to ship me a replacement. Instead, they are going to give me a straight refund. :(
I'm undecided whether to try my luck again and order it at $200 (originally bought mine for $169), give the Le Pan II a shot or look elsewhere (K1? a100/a500?). *sigh*

Edit: Does the Le Pan II fit the Truss touchpad case? Just wondering. :D

Same's the case here. First one had Battery charging problem due to defective 30-pin port. The replacement unit has the freeze up issue while it is on and on charge or while on itself. I have downloaded the latest F/W version 4626 installed late last night, re-rooted and restored all apps/games. Checking the version, shows as Linux version 2.632.9-4561 nothing close to 4626. This was suppose to be a fix for Wi-Fi issue, but I already told amazon.ca that I am not looking for a refund. For the price of $169, maybe I will just keep the Le Pan I since junior is using for playing games only and when it freezes just press the reset in the back.**long sigh too*

By the way I tried the GPS Navigon 4.01, in the real world setting without the Wi-Fi connection. Locks into 5 satellites and does it business but if you deviate from the route, it takes awhile for the voice to tell you to make the next correct turn to your predetermined destination. Not that good if you are on the highway. I still prefer my stand alone Garmin GPS, where the voice comes up very promptly and recalculates the new route if you missed the turn.
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
if I get a le pan....can I keep upgrading to the newest version of android like ICS for now and whatever comes next?[/QUOTE]

not a chance! 2.2 is what you will remain with unless some one comes up with a hack.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10787 posts
975 upvotes
iluvagooddeal wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 3:19 pm
if I get a le pan....can I keep upgrading to the newest version of android like ICS for now and whatever comes next?

not a chance! 2.2 is what you will remain with unless some one comes up with a hack.[/quote]

Thanks...gonna wait and see for a bit longer then!
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18112 posts
9281 upvotes
Kitchener
slowtyper wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 3:14 pm
I hate to be the idiot that comes to the mobilicity thread and asks "can I use iphone4?".

But...

You can keep upgrading to whatever is released to the tablet (either by the manufacturer or by 3rd party developers).

Apparently there is nothing official coming from lePan past 2.2
But unofficially no one can really tell, the tablet itself is a clone of another tablet, which means user base has good potentials, my gtab never got a single official update past 2.2 and never got its source code or any of its drivers released by viewsonic, yet it got unofficially updated to 2.3 (gingerbread), 3.0 (honeycomb) and now people are testing 4 (ICS) on it.
Oct 30, 2006
656 posts
64 upvotes
Halifax
returned my son's lepan. was an xmas gift. in under a month of use, the power button stopped working. As in, can't turn it off, can't turn it on. Actually it stays on all the time, because the only way to get it out of sleep mode is to plug in and unplug the power cord, which then allows you to swipe the sceen to unlock. If the battery ever ran out, I don't think it would ever turn on again (perhaps the reset button would start it up though I suppose). Regardless - pretty annoying to not be able to go in and out of sleep mode!!

New one is on its way. Crossing my fingers this one has at least as good or better freezing rate. After updating firmware, only froze about once every week. If this one fails I will probably just return it for good and tell my son I sent Santa a letter requesting he makes me a better product. :)

Otherwise, I really like the lepan!

PS: before finding out I could still return to amazon because ordered in november, I tried calling lepan support. No one ever answers the phone there, so not too promising if you have problems and can't return it (therefore need to go through warranty process)
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
stevstevd wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 6:05 pm
returned my son's lepan. was an xmas gift. in under a month of use, the power button stopped working. As in, can't turn it off, can't turn it on. Actually it stays on all the time, because the only way to get it out of sleep mode is to plug in and unplug the power cord, which then allows you to swipe the sceen to unlock. If the battery ever ran out, I don't think it would ever turn on again (perhaps the reset button would start it up though I suppose). Regardless - pretty annoying to not be able to go in and out of sleep mode!!

New one is on its way. Crossing my fingers this one has at least as good or better freezing rate. After updating firmware, only froze about once every week. If this one fails I will probably just return it for good and tell my son I sent Santa a letter requesting he makes me a better product. :)

Otherwise, I really like the lepan!

PS: before finding out I could still return to amazon because ordered in november, I tried calling lepan support. No one ever answers the phone there, so not too promising if you have problems and can't return it (therefore need to go through warranty process)

If you are still within the returning period after the shipment of second unit the option is only refund, not replacement if sold by amazon.
Oct 30, 2006
656 posts
64 upvotes
Halifax
iluvagooddeal wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 7:59 pm
If you are still within the returning period after the shipment of second unit the option is only refund, not replacement if sold by amazon.

Good to know...But I guess the better question is this, what if my replacement lepan messes up on me say in 2 weeks. This would make it past the returning period of the original november order, but within 30 days of receiving the 2nd one...In that case what happens? Can I get a refund?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8381 posts
973 upvotes
Richmond Hill
my le pan gets only G from G/N wireless router, other devices get N
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1641 posts
655 upvotes
iluvagooddeal wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 3:17 pm
Same's the case here. First one had Battery charging problem due to defective 30-pin port. The replacement unit has the freeze up issue while it is on and on charge or while on itself. I have downloaded the latest F/W version 4626 installed late last night, re-rooted and restored all apps/games. Checking the version, shows as Linux version 2.632.9-4561 nothing close to 4626. This was suppose to be a fix for Wi-Fi issue, but I already told amazon.ca that I am not looking for a refund. For the price of $169, maybe I will just keep the Le Pan I since junior is using for playing games only and when it freezes just press the reset in the back.**long sigh too*

By the way I tried the GPS Navigon 4.01, in the real world setting without the Wi-Fi connection. Locks into 5 satellites and does it business but if you deviate from the route, it takes awhile for the voice to tell you to make the next correct turn to your predetermined destination. Not that good if you are on the highway. I still prefer my stand alone Garmin GPS, where the voice comes up very promptly and recalculates the new route if you missed the turn.

Navigon didn't work for me, but Sigic did work very well (no lags with recalculating the route), with one serious catch - in the version I tried the voice guide kept swallowing the sentence endings (like - "you will turn" instead of "you will turn right"). May be they already fixed that.
Sep 23, 2009
368 posts
40 upvotes
stevstevd wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 3:46 pm
Good to know...But I guess the better question is this, what if my replacement lepan messes up on me say in 2 weeks. This would make it past the returning period of the original november order, but within 30 days of receiving the 2nd one...In that case what happens? Can I get a refund?

Based on my experience, you have 30 days for refund/return from the day the replacement gets shipped. But caution, if the fault is not amazon's they will deduct the shipping cost (from $12 to $18 or more) from the refund money owed. Havind said that, I still like the Le Pan I and decided to keep it due to its bright IPS panel, long battery life and no freeze up since I updated to the lastest firmware. The Wi-Fi has improved significantly now that I can see 2 of 3 white bars in the icon most of the time (meaning signal strength is between good to excellent- WPA2), previously the signal was poor even when the unit was right next to the wireless router.