Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Sep 15, 2006
80 posts
4 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 12:56 pm
Come on, now that I made the jump and placed an order is when folks decide to start talking about the problems with this device? :cry:
Im feeling purchase guilt already and it has not even been shipped yet. :)

Don't feel bad. As for myself, I'm keeping mine even though I'm having problems connecting to a WPA network. I'll just keep it on WEP for now.

According to this forum, it looks like android 2.2 has problems with WPA.

If anyone can find a definite fix for this tablet, please post.

Thanks.
Oct 13, 2011
4 posts
WINNIPEG
Has anyone found a review for the new Le Pan with the Android 3 system?
Jul 26, 2010
734 posts
67 upvotes
Burlington
My tc970 wifi works fine; however, since I use Bell internet I had to use their on-line chat to define a new router password. That took about 30 minutes !! :cry:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18125 posts
9287 upvotes
Kitchener
qwerty69 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 1:11 pm
Don't feel bad. As for myself, I'm keeping mine even though I'm having problems connecting to a WPA network. I'll just keep it on WEP for now.

According to this forum, it looks like android 2.2 has problems with WPA.

If anyone can find a definite fix for this tablet, please post.

Thanks.
If its the DHCP issue mentioned in this thread, you can either try this fix or set the IP of the TC970 statically on the router.
escher7 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 1:27 pm
Has anyone found a review for the new Le Pan with the Android 3 system?

I don't think this product exist (might be just a preorder page), there is no reviews, not in stock, not listed in the le pan website.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2555 posts
307 upvotes
My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else. I really wanted to get a tablet to use at home and my network is WEP.

On the odd ocasion that I take it out with me on a trip it might be a problem if the wifi spots are wpa...

This tablet is getting tons of good publicity so Im hoping that the company doesnt drop the support just yet and gets android 2.3 on it or some smart folks will develop custom roms...
Oct 30, 2006
656 posts
64 upvotes
Halifax
I did not have any of the wifi issues with mine. Connected easy, was downloading in no time. Was very easy to get it started.

Only issues I have are:

1. I used this in the dark, and not being used to where the buttons are on the side, I found it may have been better to have it slightly lit up on the side as I found myself pressing the wrong buttons by accident for the first while.
2. The sides of the screen seem to have a little bit of bleeding, but not that bad.
3. I was pressing buttons exteremely fast, downloading/installing many games at once, switching to home menu, and all of a sudden the screen froze. Had to hit the reset button for it to work again. But worked great ever since.
4. My weather network widget on the screen seemed a bit messed up on the screen - the image didn't look right. Hard to explain.
5. Some games had trouble fitting to screen - these I am used to on my smartphone, so maybe it was supposed to look the way it did on a different sized screen?

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this. This is a gift for my 3 year old, but I am pretty sure I am going to be hogging it from time to time! (hopefully he doesn't always steal my phone now)
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1217 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
aasoror wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 1:42 pm
If its the DHCP issue mentioned in this thread, you can either try this fix or set the IP of the TC970 statically on the router.
Static IP on the router doesn't help, but this other WiFi fix looks interesting...! I'm not even sure how to implement it on the tablet though...
Nov 9, 2003
307 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
I just received mine and in the upper right corner there is an odd spot that is under the glass. It isn't a dead pixel, but looks more like a smudge under the screen. I remember reading some forums where galaxy tab owners were complaining about this problem. It's mainly visible when the tablet is off and I doubt it would be very noticeable while the screen is lit. Has anyone noticed any similar spots on their screens?
Sep 9, 2003
761 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
aasoror wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 1:42 pm
I don't think this product exist (might be just a preorder page), there is no reviews, not in stock, not listed in the le pan website.
http://tablet-news.com/2011/11/22/le-pa ... -approved/

It definitely exists, it just hasn't come out yet.
Signs you're a postwhore:
1) You say "I got that cheaper", but don't say where, or when.
2) Your post contains less than 5 words.
3) Your post contains more than 5 words, but none of them are about the topic of the thread.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18125 posts
9287 upvotes
Kitchener
Derfel wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 3:02 pm
Static IP on the router doesn't help, but this other WiFi fix looks interesting...! I'm not even sure how to implement it on the tablet though...

Side load any "root" file manager and replace the file attached in the thread in the one specified in the thread (/system/bin/dhcpcd). Or use Terminal Emulator to execute the command mentioned in the thread (cat /sdcard/dhcpcd > /system/bin/dhcpcd) after copying the file to your SD (/sdcard/dhcpcd)
malbadon wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 3:39 pm
http://tablet-news.com/2011/11/22/le-pa ... -approved/

It definitely exists, it just hasn't come out yet.

If it isn't publicly available "yet" it doesn't exist for us :) as I said its just a "pre-order" listing.
Nov 24, 2011
1 posts
CALGARY
comicbookguy wrote:
Nov 24th, 2011 9:55 am
I got mine yesterday and couldn't help but try it out. I wanted to set it up for my mom as a Christmas gift. My first impression out of the box was that it was very well put together. The device is pretty hefty, but it seems solid. The one thing that caught my attention was the hard drive or the SD card making a power up/down sound. I didn't expect that from a tablet. Sounded like an old floppy drive. I had a minor issue trying to find my wireless network but it worked after I added the network manually.

This is my first Android experience and I'm liking it a lot. It's very intuitive.

Does anyone know how I can install .apk files? I really want to get Skype with video calling.

Same question
Have you found a way to get skype video?
I tried Skype and oovoo vut still no video.

I installed nook app by finding the nook.apk on the web and directly opened it through the file manager.
Jul 26, 2010
734 posts
67 upvotes
Burlington
Looks like there is a considerable price increase to go up to honeycomb at amazon.ca. ($Can272.80) but OOS for a while yet. RFD effect has been felt and dealt with a vengence. :cheesygri
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18125 posts
9287 upvotes
Kitchener
riccd2001 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 10:25 pm
Looks like there is a new price increase at amazon.ca. ($Can272.80) but now OOS. RFD effect has been felt and dealt with a vengence. :cheesygri

You are using the wrong link, the $272 OOS one is a pre-order for the HC tablet.
The link in OP still works fine and shows stock at $169
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2990 posts
1832 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
is there a way to get pictures from a Camera or (better yet) a SD card onto the tablet, without any other hardware?

I wish these tablets had SD slots instead of microSD slots... wonder why they went with micro?