Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2555 posts
307 upvotes
I saw that there is a root that works out there but Im wondering what does it do besides give you access to the root of the device?
If I root the device what can I do with it?
Feb 7, 2010
215 posts
40 upvotes
Kingston
lead wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 10:18 am
Nothing yet comes close to the Ainol. Thats marketing genius when it comes to naming.Well atleast untill the Vaigina tablets appear.

I COULDN"T STOP LAUGHING AT THIS POST HAHA

- Has anyone had any luck loading custom ROMS ?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18113 posts
9282 upvotes
Kitchener
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 1:46 pm
I saw that there is a root that works out there but Im wondering what does it do besides give you access to the root of the device?

Think about it in this way, rooting gives you administrator capabilities to the device.
So ALL system tools requires root privileges, things as simple as "properly" backing up and restoring apps/data can't be done without rooting the device.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1217 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 1:46 pm

You can underclock it to save battery life, get rid of applications that come bundled if you want, etc.
Jul 15, 2009
26 posts
81 upvotes
Ottawa
Hmm, supports a 32GB mini SD... I have the Transformer, and it's a great tablet, but I'm looking for something separate to use as for eBooks... I hate all the eReaders currently on the market, this might do.. Although it's pretty big, would prefer a 7"
Hmmmm decisions, decisions
That's LITERALLY what she said. :rolleyes:

2015 wins: 2 Timmies coffees, 1 pastry (Roll Up The Rim)... *crickets*
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2555 posts
307 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 1:55 pm
Think about it in this way, rooting gives you administrator capabilities to the device.
So ALL system tools requires root privileges, things as simple as "properly" backing up and restoring apps/data can't be done without rooting the device.

Thanks for the reply.
So that means that the root right now is kinda useless because theres no ROM's available for the tablet anyway?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18113 posts
9282 upvotes
Kitchener
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 3:00 pm
Thanks for the reply.
So that means that the root right now is kinda useless because theres no ROM's available for the tablet anyway?

Not at all, you do need to root the device for custom ROMs but there is many things beside that that you can do on the official firmware that requires rooting.
The market has tons and tons of system apps that can be installed on the official ROM once rooted.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2555 posts
307 upvotes
Thanks for the info.
what apps do you recommend that take advantage of rooting?
Sep 25, 2005
256 posts
5 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 4:33 pm
Thanks for the info.
what apps do you recommend that take advantage of rooting?

Good article HERE. A couple more apps listed in the comments as well.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18113 posts
9282 upvotes
Kitchener
ProBoner wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 4:40 pm
Good article HERE. A couple more apps listed in the comments as well.

Such a useful article, added to OP.
ProBoner thanked :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5437 posts
1294 upvotes
Scarborough
Does anyone know when the sale will end?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2555 posts
307 upvotes
Awesome tablet. It works. Are there better tablets out there? You bet, but for the price this is an incredible tablet.
Thanks op for posting this deal.
Mar 24, 2006
15 posts
2 upvotes
Derfel wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 10:23 am
Same here - Dropbox works really well for me, as does Evernote.

One thing I'm finding a problem with is bringing up the keyboard when not in a text box - for flash applications, for example.

Also - I'm still having problems with WPA2, but so far it hasn't been an issue for usage for me, as I have both a WPA2 and a WEP WiFi network running at home, and we have an open AP at work with a web login.

Some other info - the Apple iPod/iPad charging cables don't work unless you cut the connector down to size. However, Sansa chargers apparently work!

Thanks Derfel and Comicbookguy.... Evernote was one of the other apps.... well my theory seems out the door... the frequent crashes persisted even when just stock... so going to return to amazon for another. Fingers crossed that I will get one I can enjoy as everyone here seems to be!

thx!
Nov 27, 2010
28 posts
2 upvotes
comicbookguy wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 10:12 am
For those looking to get Skype to work, I used this .apk: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=452

The odd thing is, the larger video screen is of yourself, and the smaller video screen is the person you're speaking to. I thought it should be the other way around. Also it says that the front camera is not detected. In any case, I've got it to work with my brother's iTouch and it's pretty good.

Make sure you follow the instructions (e.g. going into the Tweaks menu, etc.)

Thanks for you posting, but I can not get a stable video image on the le pan. Could you tell me your setting of the tweaks?