Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Feb 8, 2007
93 posts
4 upvotes
I opened a ticket against Le Pan asking about future OS upgrade. This is the response I got:

Case Subject: TC 970 OS upgrade

Update Date: 11/21/2011 11:49:11 AM

Comments from LePan Support:

Hi,

The TC970 runs 2.2 which is a completely different platform than 3.0+. It is not upgradable to anything beyond 2.2.

Le Pan plans to release a new tablet with a new OS that will come out Q1 of 2012.

Sorry for the inconveniences, we really wish 2.2 would be upgradable to 4.0 or even 2.3 but it just isn't possible.

Thank you for understanding.
Mar 24, 2006
15 posts
2 upvotes
I can confirm as others have stated that support at lepan have indicated that the TC970 will not be upgradeable - it's at 2.2...

interesting find on the amazon.ca site is this:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0067XX ... 2690953011

and interestingly enuf if you search for Le Pan II, there was an FCC approval today. It appears looks to be called the TC979: FCC ID 'ZDRTC979.

What sounds appealing about the new model is it has 8gb on board and supposedly a dual core processor which should facilitate an upgrade to ICS, vs the current single core in the 970. I can't see in the filing what version of android it's suppose to run, but the amazon indicates 3.2.

I'm on the fence now, whether this is still a good buy, vs waiting to see if that $270 price changes...
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1733 posts
72 upvotes
I ordered this as a gift for my mom for Christmas. I based it solely on the price and the positive reviews everywhere.

I've never used an Android device before. Do I need to root this in order to install a hacked version of Skype? I read that the Skype app won't work with video calls on Froyo, but the hacked version does.

Rooting seems pretty easy to do, but I don't know if I need to do it.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1689 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm quite suprised that this tab havent been pick-up by deal hunters the way the BB PB has been doing lately. Plan of getting this as holiday stuffers for kids. Would this be a good 2nd choice over the BB PB or Ipad2?
Unknown wrote:
Oct 13th, 2012 3:21 pm
Why is Playbook at $199 a door crasher??? Because Canadians are gullible. :razz:
Aug 20, 2011
803 posts
870 upvotes
Android 3.x is not open source, only few company had source code.
But 4.x's source is available to download, it is confused that le pan tc970 can not upgrade.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1123 posts
225 upvotes
Gatineau
Ah, finally pulled the trigger. Android 2.2 is annoying, but I can live with it as this thing will mainly be an add-on for regular Internet stuff, not major work or gamin, as I have already laptop and desktop... and a Atrix with android 2.3.

As for poster above I don't think rooting is necessary at all for installing hacked version of Skype, but we'll see, I'm sure all buyers will help each other on this thread.

I thought about the playbook from BB, but the lack of application and 7'' size stopped me. I know their future OS will bring Android support, but then, I would rather have a true android phone.

When comparing specs to Ipad 2, I can't see what paying such a premium brings more, except dual core and a 2nd camera. Personally, I couldn't care less about cameras, and I'm confident the single core will do fine for what I do... especially for 190 shipped. If I want to change in 2 years, I will still be a zillion times richer than if I buy a 600$ device.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18314 posts
9492 upvotes
Kitchener
ck01 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 3:44 pm
What would rooting that tablet achieve?
Allows you to side load applications that requires administrator privileges to run (think system apps), so basically whatever software on the app market (majority of the apps are compatible with 2.2)
Jan 13, 2004
62 posts
3 upvotes
i also pulled the trigger. its going to replace my phone when i'm at home, so i can check email and website on a bigger screen. amazing price and review are good!!! thanks RFD!!!
Jun 2, 2007
112 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
Ordered one for my dad as a christmas gift. Thanks OP.
Mar 24, 2006
15 posts
2 upvotes
comicbookguy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 5:30 pm
I ordered this as a gift for my mom for Christmas. I based it solely on the price and the positive reviews everywhere.

I've never used an Android device before. Do I need to root this in order to install a hacked version of Skype? I read that the Skype app won't work with video calls on Froyo, but the hacked version does.

Rooting seems pretty easy to do, but I don't know if I need to do it.

Not sure if you HAVE to root it for Skype, but in one of the Amazon comments, RPB seems to indicate that Le Pan support provided them with a version that would work...

= Skype and Webcam: Because I use Skype all the time to chat to my family in South Africa I will elaborate on this for you, especially since some users have complaints about it. At first I installed the regular Skype via Android market, it worked well but I couldn't get the webcam to work at all. So I consulted with Le Pan Support (I will elaborate on their service below) who told me that under Android 2.2 this would probably not work. A day later they messaged me again with the following:
"An update on your case:
This version of Skype works and supports a front facing camera:
[...]
Make sure you enable "Use preview surface" under the tweaks menu.
It is a little glitchy on first establishing the video call,
but if you fiddle with it, by pushing on the screen, and hitting the back button, it clears up."
Exactly what they said happened, I downloaded the zip file on my computer and then sent it to the tablet via email, it opened up easily and installed well (make sure you remove the other version of Skype first). After fiddling around with the settings under the Tweaks menu I got the camera to work. It did make quite a mess of it at first so I just kept switching screens between the call and back to the call, and finally it worked. I hope it works for you too!
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
yelow wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 4:51 pm
I opened a ticket against Le Pan asking about future OS upgrade. This is the response I got:

Case Subject: TC 970 OS upgrade

Update Date: 11/21/2011 11:49:11 AM

Comments from LePan Support:

Hi,

The TC970 runs 2.2 which is a completely different platform than 3.0+. It is not upgradable to anything beyond 2.2.

Le Pan plans to release a new tablet with a new OS that will come out Q1 of 2012.

Sorry for the inconveniences, we really wish 2.2 would be upgradable to 4.0 or even 2.3 but it just isn't possible.

Thank you for understanding.

Pretty cold then. Even Touchpad's will have ICS eventually.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1032 posts
36 upvotes
ck01 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 3:44 pm
What would rooting that tablet achieve?
Debating if I should buy this.. especially after having read the Blackberry Playbook crazy long thread...
It would be more of a toy than a working tool... I have an android phone and I like it.
Sadly it is android 2.2...
By the way, tried the Le Pan phone number it says not in service. perhaps not working from Canada.

many useful apps require superuser permission to work on system files and etc,
to name a few: adfree, Titanium backup, shoot it, wifi techer, SSH tunnel, setcpu, root exploerer...

it also give you the opportunity to remove some of system apps or bloatwares installed by providers.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1032 posts
36 upvotes
Fantaz wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 8:33 pm
Pretty cold then. Even Touchpad's will have ICS eventually.

+1, unless community picks it up with home-brew ROMs but this tablet seemed unpopular with developers. COLD
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1218 posts
176 upvotes
Calgary
mikesxf wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 9:26 pm
+1, unless community picks it up with home-brew ROMs but this tablet seemed unpopular with developers. COLD

Cold? Even at version 2.2, it's a native Android tablet with excellent battery life, a company that has 24-hour support and has the chance of an upgrade. The Touchpad is running $200 on eBay at minimum, and might not get a fully functional 3.0 port as it stands.