Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1217 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
sixer wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 4:19 pm
Poor build quality, too little memory and slow.

Yeah - not really. Sure, it isn't 100% up to par with a $500 tablet. Then again, it didn't cost $500.

I sure like being able to stream every NHL game anywhere in my house for free on it, though! Not to mention using Ice Stream to watch any TV show from the last 30 years on it too... for free. I also get to enjoy a more expensive brand of whiskey while I read my eBook on it because of the money I've saved. Most surprisingly, the battery lasts - having watched two full NHL games on it last night (GO JETS GO!) - it was sitting at 53%, having started at 95%...

Next time - try and at least sound informed before you post, okay?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
1033 posts
226 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey guys, join this group on XDA for Le Pan discussion: http://forum.xda-developers.com/group.php?groupid=526 (100 members so far)

We're trying to get our own forum on XDA so that we gain popularity amongst modders and hopefully see some CyanogenMod 7/9 in the near future :) Please vote for Le Pan by replying with "+1 Le Pan TC 970" in the following thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1301121

OP: would you consider adding this info to the main post?
Steam ID: moin110
XBOX LIVE GT: Moin110
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1117 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 11:52 am
can someone do me a favor and please check this on their tablet?

I have version 4431

but my camera is still doing the mirrored image when I take a picture

I heard that the new firmware is labelled 4431 as well giving the indication that my system has the right firmware, but its not the UPDATED 4431

please let me know if you guys have the system with 4431 and still have the mirrored image after taking a picture

thanks !

4431v2 fixes the camera problem. Download it from their site.
http://lepan.supportsync.com/articles/v ... omputer_11
Dec 5, 2011
7 posts
Vancouver
sixer wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 4:19 pm
Poor build quality, too little memory and slow.
No,I think its superb,espessally for the prise also if you want more memory there are some great sd cards out there ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2544 posts
296 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 3:26 pm
thanks for the info

maybe I am under the impression that the camera is working incorrectly- inducating wrong firmware

the new firmware supposedly fixed the mirrored camera issue.

right now if I take a picture of myself with my hand on the right side of my head, the DEVELOPED snapshot has the hand on the left hand side of my head. Is this the correct way it now should be? if so then I do infact have the correct firmware.

thanks guys

Mine does that too and I have installed the firmware listed on the website so I think that it is the latest version.
I wish they would put out a new version to end this confusion...
Mar 20, 2006
97 posts
25 upvotes
Mississauga
ProBoner wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 9:04 pm
Install a second launcher that supports rotation (go launcher and launcher pro are good) and make sure screen rotation is turned on in the display options.

Did you find that there was some lag when scrolling through your app drawer using Go launcher?
May 18, 2007
611 posts
82 upvotes
R3tract wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 10:00 pm
Did you find that there was some lag when scrolling through your app drawer using Go launcher?

Mind had that lag issue too using Go launcher Ex.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2544 posts
296 upvotes
pr3dat0r wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 10:05 pm
Mind had that lag issue too using Go launcher Ex.

Yeah, I also found that it slowed down the unit so I ditched. The lack of rotation on the desktop is not a big problem for me to justify the hit on performance.
Dont know why Le Pan didnt activate the rotation thou...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
1033 posts
226 upvotes
Mississauga
Hmm I'm contemplating whether I should get the refurb HP Touchpad and cancel my Le Pan order ($169). With Shipito, the Touchpad should be around the same price. What do you guys think I should go for? Dual-core and ICS sounds tempting... ***this is assuming I'm able to get a Touchpad in the first place
Steam ID: moin110
XBOX LIVE GT: Moin110
Oct 6, 2005
310 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Also, how does this compare to the archos 10.1 tablet on sale at sigs right now? Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 23, 2002
364 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
yellowfellow wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 2:53 am
Also, how does this compare to the archos 10.1 tablet on sale at sigs right now? Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't waste your money on Archos. At $249 for the 10", you might as well get the Asus Transformer for $299.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1640 posts
655 upvotes
Before dumping Le Pan for likes of HP and Asus, consider these great things about Le Pan:

- Great screen quality;
- Super sturdy - built like a tank;
- Amazing battery life - it usually lasts 3 days of pretty heavy use without recharging (BTW it charges from computer USB - unusual);
- Super responsive: takes 1 sec to wake from sleep, another 1-2 sec to connect to WiFi.
- Very stable - after 10 days of use, I've had zero issues (no freezing, no sleep in death, no WiFi signal lost) - and I did the update and rooted it;
- Plenty fast - at least if what you do is mainly browsing, reading (including huge complex PDF and djvu files), and movie watching (over WiFi). I haven't tried gaming.

I have no desire to upgrade this thing to ICS or CyanogenMod, even if it becomes available, as I suspect this might hurt the amazing stability of the gadget.
Dec 2, 2011
9 posts
Earth
pulsar123 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 10:54 am
Before dumping Le Pan for likes of HP and Asus, consider these great things about Le Pan:

- Great screen quality;
- Super sturdy - built like a tank;
- Amazing battery life - it usually lasts 3 days of pretty heavy use without recharging (BTW it charges from computer USB - unusual);
- Super responsive: takes 1 sec to wake from sleep, another 1-2 sec to connect to WiFi.
- Very stable - after 10 days of use, I've had zero issues (no freezing, no sleep in death, no WiFi signal lost) - and I did the update and rooted it;
- Plenty fast - at least if what you do is mainly browsing, reading (including huge complex PDF and djvu files), and movie watching (over WiFi). I haven't tried gaming.

I have no desire to upgrade this thing to ICS or CyanogenMod, even if it becomes available, as I suspect this might hurt the amazing stability of the gadget.

does rooting help the perfermonace of the tablet to come better?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1640 posts
655 upvotes
rave06 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 1:59 pm
does rooting help the perfermonace of the tablet to come better?

I don't think rooting can help with performance, for any tablet. What it can do is to reduce stability for some tablets - which is fortunately not the case with Le Pan.

This tablet doesn't really need rooting (because it comes with full android market), I did it because I like to have a full control of my gadgets, just in case.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
what has the better screen quality the HP tablet or this le Pan? thanks
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro