Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] amazon.ca: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:59 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18535 posts
9693 upvotes
Kitchener
Doug wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 1:30 pm
Although I'd prefer to have dual core.
Wouldn't we all ? even better, I'd prefer to have dual core for FREE :)
No HDMI
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1219 posts
178 upvotes
Calgary
poroporo wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 3:10 pm
****, this sounds pretty good for a 1.2ghz dual core -- even at $270.

Exactly - and that's a launch price! Imagine what it'll cost in 16 months time...
Jul 26, 2010
734 posts
67 upvotes
Burlington
I ordered the in-stock Le Pan tc970 on Monday Nov.21 @ 20:30 and was delivered to my front door (by UPS !!) today Tuesday Nov.22 @ 13:30pm :D

Amazon.ca is really fast to ship. It took FS 4 days to deliver my in-stock 16gb playbook using Canada Post Expedited Parcel. :o

Time to order screen covers.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3080 posts
2089 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
so how is it?
My phone is Android 2.3 anyone know what differences I would see between this tablet and my phone?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18535 posts
9693 upvotes
Kitchener
raskal wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 11:53 pm
so how is it?
My phone is Android 2.3 anyone know what differences I would see between this tablet and my phone?

You would see everything BIGGER :)
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1305 posts
235 upvotes
riccd2001 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 11:33 pm
I ordered the in-stock Le Pan tc970 on Monday Nov.21 @ 20:30 and was delivered to my front door (by UPS !!) today Tuesday Nov.22 @ 13:30pm :D
I ordered early 7:30 on Monday and yet it's not gonna be here till next Monday, which by then I'm already on vacation and won't be able to get it. Very disappointed.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18535 posts
9693 upvotes
Kitchener
carniver wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 2:13 am
I ordered early 7:30 on Monday and yet it's not gonna be here till next Monday.
I think Amazon's warehouse is in Mississauga
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1219 posts
178 upvotes
Calgary
aasoror wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 2:20 am
I think Amazon's warehouse is in Mississauga

Mine is being shipped from Ontario. That is, Ontario, California!

In any case, Amazon had estimated arrival pegged for November 29th (I ordered late Monday afternoon), but UPS tracking shows it coming in tomorrow sometime. I'd love to have it before the weekend...

Anyone have any experience with LCDDensity as an app? I have a feeling I'm going to want to use it on this tablet...
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1734 posts
72 upvotes
I ordered this at 4PM EST on Monday, and it looks like it will arrive this morning from Mississauga.
Dec 19, 2007
580 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
riccd2001 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 11:33 pm

Amazon.ca is really fast to ship. It took FS 4 days to deliver my in-stock 16gb playbook using Canada Post Expedited Parcel. :o

Time to order screen covers.
That's REALLY fast! I am patiently waiting for mine today, the estimated delivery is today.
Where will you order your screen cover?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1219 posts
178 upvotes
Calgary
purplesnow22 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 9:21 am
That's REALLY fast! I am patiently waiting for mine today, the estimated delivery is today.
Where will you order your screen cover?

I have only found one seller on eBay... I'm hoping to hear of more.

I guess anyone Toronto and east gets it from Mississauga, and the rest of the country gets it from California. I'm really hoping it makes it here before the weekend!

I'm also hoping that, with root access, that I can run SetCPU to underclock the processor and extend the battery life for an extra hour or so. It's going to be fun tinkering with this tablet!
Sep 24, 2006
49 posts
3 upvotes
I'm looking for a silicone skin for mine. Anyone know if there's one that will fit?
May 27, 2006
187 posts
86 upvotes
For anyone wanting to know a bit more about this tablet, here is a mini review of it. This review was originally posted in this thread when it was still going for about $240 on amazon.ca (see Post #11):
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/le-pan-9 ... m-1107621/

Obviously the price is way lower now, and it appears that ICS, and Honeycomb may no longer be expansion options, but I still think this is a hot deal for the functionality and eye candy this tablet provides.

One annoyance that I've not discussed in my review is the row of touch sensitive soft buttons on the side of the Le Pan, which seem to always get activated when you're not carefull handling it. Also, when in you're on the home screens you are limited to landscape, and it won't rotate to portrait view.

"I have the Le Pan TC 970, and for the price and features\specs that it offers, I think it is a great tablet that offers good value for its feature set (i.e. it meets all my needs\requirements for what I am looking for in a tablet, obviously if your needs\requirements differ from mine than your opinion may vary) and performance level right out of the box.

I think most people considering this tablet (in or around the $200-$250 price point) know what they want (or don’t want); they don’t want to pay upwards of $400 for a device that is a non-essential luxury item and may be obsolete in as little as year; they want the cheapest price possible but realize that below the $200 price point, there may be too many compromises in the product, including features, performance, quality, service, warranty, reliability, outdated OS, etc.

For myself, my usage pattern for a tablet\smart device has mostly been for internet activities (surfing the web, checking email, watching youtube videos, etc.), listening to music, reading ebooks, as a photo viewer\album for our thousands of digital photos, watching ripped movies (in divx, mp4, etc.), as a GPS device, and for occasional gaming, with minimal productivity\number crunching activities (reviewing MS word\excel documents), if any. My tablet\smart devices have mostly been used while lounging around the house, i.e. away from our desktop, such as on the sofa, at the kitchen, or in bed, as well as during travel, such as on roadtrips, airplane\bus rides, etc, and occasionally while out and about. We also have an old desktop server running Windows XP. Samba capable file management programs have allowed me to access, view, copy and even stream the music, photos, and video\movies that are stored on it from anywhere in the house to our tablet\smart devices.

I’ve looked at several tablets in the $200-$250 price range; one great thing that this tablet features, and which is not available in other tablets in this price range or in the sub $200 tablets, and which IMHO has a great impact to a positive day-to-day tablet experience, is a vibrant, capacitive, multitouch 10 inch screen (approximately), which also happens to have great viewing angles (both horizontal and vertical); perfect for sharing the tablet when gaming, watching movies, viewing photos, etc.

Other notable features of this tablet include:
1) A reasonably long battery life.
2) Official Google Market App support.
3) Micro SD expansion slot.
4) 2 GB of built in internal flash memory to hold all those apps and games you download from the Market.

Performance wise, although it has a single core 1 GHz CPU, and 512 MB of ram, for my described activities, I’ve found the Le Pan to be an excellent device that offers great performance with minimal lag and quick responsiveness (although I’ve not used the Ipad 2 to compare) during gaming, when flipping from screen to screen, while surfing and little to no stuttering\pausing when watching movies, even on 2 GB avi’s (I haven’t tried larger MKVs). There is the occasional millisecond lag when switching from application to application, or when starting an application. For the GPS, I noticed that location acquisition takes longer, ½ a minute to a minute with minimal cloud cover. When using wifi, I have not noticed any signal losses, or connection issues when connecting with various wifi routers at home, at work, in public spaces, etc. Although wifi connections have been problem free, I don’t think that this tablet has the most powerful receiver out there, i.e. I found that the number of bars showing were greater on my android phone for example. The minimal trade-offs (i.e. occasional lagginess representing reduced cpu power) that one might experience during usage is paid off in battery life; the Le Pan tablet appears to have the claimed run-time of 6 or more hours during heavy cpu usage, such as when watching movies (others have claimed 8 or 9 hours of battery life during low-cpu usage activities such as while surfing the net). Although I did not test these directly, on numerous occasions, I’ve had my Le Pan running for days, alternating between standby and usage as previously described.

In terms of build quality, the Le Pan tablet seems very well built, with a brushed aluminum back, glossy screen and chrome accents; it has a high “wow” factor. However, the solid build makes it seem heavy; I definitely have to hold it with two hands over long periods, or when reading in bed, rest one edge on the bed.

Ergonomically, the sharp corners of the Le Pan make it difficult to hold and handle with one hand over long periods; as an example, when handling my HP Touchpad with one hand, the large radius corners of the Touchpad, allow the corner to nestle into and rest in the palm of your hand for optimum balance and load distribution during one handed handling. The pointed corners of the Le Pan do not allow this, they dig uncomfortably into your palm if you try, the result is that during one-handed use, you’re forced to grip one edge of the tablet; this is okay for short periods but leads to hand and finger fatigue over longer periods.

The Le Pan tablet comes with Android 2.2 Froyo installed. If I recall correctly, based on the manufacturer’s claims, they will be skipping Honeycomb to go straight to Ice-Cream and offer that as a future OS upgrade. For my required uses, Android 2.2 and the applications available for it meet all my described usage requirements. I don’t need the latest updates, everything that I require it to do is availabe now and at a functionally acceptable level of performance, reliabiltiy and effectiveness; from that perspective, imho I don’t think it’s worth it to pay upwards of $350 (I think, haven’t checked lately) for some other 10 inch tablet with honeycomb.

So that’s my 2 cents. I hope potential tablet buyers find this mini-review usefull and informative. "