Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Leviton Electric Vehicle Charger 30A 7.2kW ($346.67 after ON rebate)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2017 11:58 pm
Jul 17, 2007
120 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Juice Box has 10% OFF TILL 15 AUGUST!
also Welcome To Canada Bundle Limited Time Offer:
Get in a Soft Carrying case:

What's the pro for Juice Box, vs the ChargePoint? ;)
can plug into regular household 110V outlet advantage?
Feb 27, 2017
36 posts
15 upvotes
Canadian company flo charger is a good deal. If you just got Nissan you can get 500 off the charger. I'm in BC so no rebate for charger from hyrdo company
May 22, 2017
76 posts
33 upvotes
can someone share experience in L2 charger?
I understand it is always good to slow charge in L1 instead of L2, and L2 is only good in case to replenish empty battery in one night, after a trip. Can I get by with only L1 charger?

My garage is detached, and all bsmt and garage are fully drywalled, it is a pain to wire through all the way, so I am still considering.
Feb 14, 2010
189 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
This charger is now CDN$ 652.09; based on a price tracking website the lowest its ever been.
I am picking up a EV sometime in Aug/Sep; good time to buy this charge now or wait until I actually get the car.
Last edited by thelastword on Aug 11th, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1452 posts
261 upvotes
Ontario
modelerIII wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:43 am
I understand it is always good to slow charge in L1 instead of L2, and L2 is only good in case to replenish empty battery in one night, after a trip. Can I get by with only L1 charger?

My garage is detached, and all bsmt and garage are fully drywalled, it is a pain to wire through all the way, so I am still considering.
L2 will not harm the battery. L1 charging will take an average 18hrs vs 4-5hrs for L2 depending on battery size.
Dec 11, 2004
186 posts
14 upvotes
modelerIII wrote:

If you own an EV, you will definitely want a L2 charger. Get one with a plug instead of hardwire. It allows you to take it with you easily. Beware of advertising techniques by manufacturers. Some will say 20amp, only because it requires a 20A breaker and only outputs 16A. If you want to future-proof, pay a little extra and get something with higher current even if you can't take advantage of it now. Juicebox and a few others are nice as they have Smart versions which allow you to control with your smartphone and monitor power usage, etc. Clippercreek has a good reputation, but last I checked, only outputs 32A. 40A output will be beneficial in the future. My 2 cents.
Jun 12, 2016
252 posts
92 upvotes
Mississauga
modelerIII wrote:

You definitely can get away with July using lvl 1. The key here is to make sure you charge frequently so that you don't deplete the battery. As some said earlier, you are more than welcome to deplete the battery, but expect to wait 16-18 hours for full recharge. Having lvl 2 charging is more convenient due to time savings especially in full BEV vs PHEV.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5488 posts
130 upvotes
modelerIII wrote:

L1 charging is impractical. You're vehicle will probably not be fully charged next day when you want to use it. Just get an L2 charger. I got clipper creek from the states. One of the best brands on the market.
Sep 8, 2014
448 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto, ON
>25000 km on my Smart ED using only L1 charging at 120V x 12 amps.
Not having a L2 is inconvenient a few times per year, but majority of the time is perfectly suitable.

Our long range car is a Tesla, and for that we have 24A 240V (6kW) L2 which is essential and we couldn't live on L1.
Typical reason for L2 : after a long trip where we arrive home at night with low charge and need to do a trip the next morning.

So : If you drive long distance in the EV, get L2
Mar 6, 2011
55 posts
25 upvotes
guessguy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 7:04 pm
back in stock at $1,079. Might pull the trigger.
I've searched and there does not appear to another seller in Canada at a better price. Is this the only place to get the Juicebox?
I got mine a couple years ago directly from emotorwerks.
They shipped from the states. I think shipping was $30. You can contact them directly to see if they ship to Canada now.
emotorwerks always has a black friday sale if you can wait.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3363 posts
330 upvotes
achc wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:58 am
30Amps only good enough for a smart EV, most newer and larger EV have larger on board charger that can take larger adapter units
What larger EVs are you referring to? I'm not sure about the Tesla, but for all the other EVs, they pretty much all use a 7.2kw on bard charger and a 240V/30A EVSE is perfect for it. You don't need a 40A EVSE.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
1392 posts
94 upvotes
Mississauga
rrafig wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:11 pm
I got mine a couple years ago directly from emotorwerks.
They shipped from the states. I think shipping was $30. You can contact them directly to see if they ship to Canada now.
emotorwerks always has a black friday sale if you can wait.
you could get from them directly but you'd miss on the 50% rebate. Has to be Canadian retailer.
Mar 6, 2011
55 posts
25 upvotes
guessguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:40 pm
you could get from them directly but you'd miss on the 50% rebate. Has to be Canadian retailer.
Makes sense. No rebate in my lovely province...

I'm kinda jealous now
May 22, 2017
76 posts
33 upvotes
any one have recommendation on electrician? halton or peel region.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2338 posts
621 upvotes
GTA
LoveRFD wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:16 pm
What larger EVs are you referring to? I'm not sure about the Tesla, but for all the other EVs, they pretty much all use a 7.2kw on bard charger and a 240V/30A EVSE is perfect for it. You don't need a 40A EVSE.
Agreed, those with 30A output are just fine.