• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2019 1:02 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2011
26 posts
95 upvotes
ottawa

[Amazon Canada] littleBits Electronic Music Inventor Kit - Amazon - 25$

Lowest price ever according to CCC. These littleBits kits are great at introducing your kids to electronic circuits. I picked one up as an xmas gift. There are a few other kits on sale, but this one is the best bang for the buck. This is 99$ on sale at chapters.ca for reference (reg price is ~130$).
25 replies
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4371 posts
701 upvotes
Pretty cool, but no way my boys would want to touch it. Wish they made this gender neutral instead of obviously marketed to girls...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2309 posts
352 upvotes
joshmxpx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 10:02 pm
Pretty cool, but no way my boys would want to touch it. Wish they made this gender neutral instead of obviously marketed to girls...
Agreed. Only thing holding me back.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this or the brand?
[OP]
Mar 10, 2011
26 posts
95 upvotes
ottawa
pswart wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 10:04 pm
Agreed. Only thing holding me back.

I bought this one for my son when it as 30$ https://www.amazon.ca/littleBits-Marvel ... B07BDZZRR3 and he really liked it. The brand is good. I wouldn't pay full price for them, but the kits cycle on sale quite often.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13433 posts
1718 upvotes
Mississauga
joshmxpx wrote:
potentially why its on sale.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11567 posts
4802 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
joshmxpx wrote:
I think that was on purpose as studies have shown that girls are less likely to pursue things in the STEM areas while boys do so creating something like this that includes Art will make it more of a 'crossover' product.
Jun 23, 2006
335 posts
113 upvotes
Hmm, I thought this STEM guitar kit is quite gender neutral. I'm not familiar with this brand but I've heard of it before so I looked it up. Purple & white seem to be the theme colours for this brand. Genuinely curious: What makes you think this is only for girls? The kids (girls & boys) in my life are almost at the right age for this toy, early xmas shopping done. Great find OP, thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2315 posts
769 upvotes
Must buy...this is #1 Best Seller in Collectible Trading Card Albums
Dec 24, 2017
383 posts
641 upvotes
lel
Deal dead? I see 35 for the price
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Jan 4, 2010
110 posts
38 upvotes
This stuff is crazy - bought the lunar rover (its $50 now) but wow, electronic lego. It isn't just a toy, probably the reason it didn't sell so well over the 2018 Christmas season, that and the stupid high price at Indigo didn't help.

Its the sort of a thing I think a parent has to help encourage, not just leave up to the kid to figure out. Still trying to figure out how far a person can take these kits.

If you didn't know, littleBits sold out to Sphero - pivoting to the education market (aka schools). Not sure long term what littleBits will offer at retail, but the school kit is like $400. This stuff might end up disappearing as they run down inventory.
Feb 29, 2004
141 posts
42 upvotes
pswart wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 10:04 pm
I have most of the pieces. They are prebuilt circuits kids or adults can snap together to make stuff. I think any of the music pieces would be better suited for older kids that are interested in learning how a particular instrument works not the best kit to start with.

I think to get started you really just need a sensor and a motor and maybe a light or a speaker and just a bunch of stuff from around the house. You can download the littlebits app to see what other people have made. Think of a tinker kit - open ended building.
Feb 7, 2003
234 posts
86 upvotes
Not sure about the other kits, but not a fan of the guitar. I bought only to realize it's made of cardboard. I can't see it lasting too long for many kids. My kids are gentle with it, probably the only reason it has lasted a year.