Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Lodge L10DOL3 Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, Pre-Seasoned, 7-Quart

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 4:33 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2012
326 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Lodge L10DOL3 Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, Pre-Seasoned, 7-Quart

Hi RFD,

I am a big Lodge cast iron fan and have wanted this Dutch oven for awhile.

45% off, save $60, it hasn't been this low since 2012 (was a shy lower).

Cheers,
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1469 posts
524 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Seasoning this Dutch oven will be a pain. Typically I season cast iron skillets on a stove top with lard, building at least 10 layers before cooking with it. In the oven, it will take much longer to build multiple natural non-stick layers.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1063 posts
179 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
AsianXL wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:56 pm
Seasoning this Dutch oven will be a pain. Typically I season cast iron skillets on a stove top with lard, building at least 10 layers before cooking with it. In the oven, it will take much longer to build multiple natural non-stick layers.
I read about a few methods to season cast iron on the web but not this one... I thought the oven can bring the cookware to a higher temperature compared to stove top, hence seasoning in the oven is preferred
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3417 posts
138 upvotes
New to cast iron and Seasoning. Can it be done in a bbq?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1469 posts
524 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wally_walrus wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:10 pm
I read about a few methods to season cast iron on the web but not this one... I thought the oven can bring the cookware to a higher temperature compared to stove top, hence seasoning in the oven is preferred
I have successfully seasoned multiple cast iron skillets and wok on the stovetop. The non-stick finish has never come off. I've been using it for years now. It does little to no effect even when I cook acidic food with the occasional scrub with dish soap. The key is temperature control when seasoning and building multiple layers right off the bat before cooking. 1-2 layers won't cut it. I shoot for at least 10 layers.

• 16" Cast Iron flat-bottom wok
  • 12" Cast iron skillet
  • 10" Cast Iron Skillet
  • 8" Cast iron skillet

In China, they only season woks on stovetop with infinite success. Homes do not have large ovens like we do in the west.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2007
2326 posts
19 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:59 pm
I have successfully seasoned multiple cast iron skillets and wok on the stovetop. The non-stick finish has never come off. I've been using it for years now. It does little to no effect even when I cook acidic food with the occasional scrub with dish soap. The key is temperature control when seasoning and building multiple layers right off the bat before cooking. 1-2 layers won't cut it. I shoot for at least 10 layers.

• 12" Cast iron skillet
  • 10" Cast Iron Skillet
  • 8" Cast iron skillet

In China, they only season woks on stovetop with infinite success. Homes do not have large ovens like we do in the west.
This guy seasons
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1063 posts
179 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
AsianXL wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:59 pm

• 12" Cast iron skillet
  • 10" Cast Iron Skillet
  • 8" Cast iron skillet

Does an electric stove top work for this, or gas is preferred?

Thanks,
Jan 3, 2007
793 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
I've always seasoned my cast iron in the oven. I only use two layers of Crisco, and never ever had a problem.

If anyone knows what they're talking about it is this guy. Watch this video. Skip to the 10 min mark to watch the seasoning process.

I usually put my new pans in the oven on the self clean cycle to strip the factory seasoning, wash with soap and water, and start the process.

Jan 1, 2008
469 posts
140 upvotes
Brossard
Seems like the deal is dead, but thanks OP
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1469 posts
524 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wally_walrus wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 5:00 am
Does an electric stove top work for this, or gas is preferred?

Thanks,
Gas is preferred, but electric works as well. Rub a light coating of your choice of shortening/oil on your skillet/wok, adjust your temperature gauge to MEDIUM, turn your stove off when it begins to smoke profusely, allow it to rest for 30 minutes, wipe off excess then repeat.
Jul 1, 2017
212 posts
84 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:56 pm
do it on the BBQ
don't mess up your house with all those oil fumes
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1469 posts
524 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yellowtrash wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 11:15 am
do it on the BBQ
don't mess up your house with all those oil fumes
I've never done it on the BBQ, but I would imagine that the stove would be more accessible to most people.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2625 posts
1556 upvotes
The NORTH
Came for the deal, Stayed for the seasoning.

PS. Deal is dead. :(
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4188 posts
1280 upvotes
This is the best tool if you like making your own sourdough bread.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2012
326 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
My Dutch Oven arrived today and it is massive.

Unfortunately deal is now dead. Back to $119 (save $5).

I am going to check for other Lodge products to see if anything else is heavily discounted.