• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 11:27 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
625 posts
1347 upvotes
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:48 pm
OP. Are you an audiophile? You seem attracted to expensive audio products that don't perform any better than $10 Apple USB-C DAC?

If this is referring to the two audio deals I posted over the last couple weeks for the HD800S and the KEF LS50W, I would like to know what lower cost alternatives exist for those that perform equally well?

I don't know if I qualify as an audiophile because most of the time I am happy listening to my $100 Sennheiser 558, unamped run straight out of my laptop.
I own much better equipment, and I can definitely tell the difference a better setup makes, but most of the time this is good enough.
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 2:54 pm
There is a lot of ignorance amongst general public about audio. The technology has advanced so much that it costs only a few dollars to make a quality DAC+amp to drive headphones. There is no need for expensive audio gear when the average THD in transducers is around 0.5% which makes most boutique, high quality DAC and amps irrelevant.
This is true, some of the higher end DACs only cost $20-30 to purchase, and cost even less for the manufacturers to make.
But many chip makers only make a component in the larger product that customers ultimately buy , R&D, other components, marketing, overheads, etc. drive up the cost considerably.

Most people will agree with you (at least where I think you are coming from), in saying that not a lot about the extreme cost of products in this hobby makes sense, and at best you are paying lots of money for marginal gains.
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 3:23 pm
If this is referring to the two audio deals I posted over the last couple weeks for the HD800S and the KEF LS50W, I would like to know what lower cost alternatives exist for those that perform equally well?
There are plenty of low cost alternatives to HD800S, but people(audiophiles in particular) believe there must be some magic in those higher priced products. Unfortunately, there isn't any magic. It is sound signature tuning since the drivers are the same(Sennheiser reuses the drivers across product lines).

Now, sound signature can be tuned either acoustically, electronically or digitally. The easiest is digital(parametric equalizers) which Bose and other manufacturers have started doing.

The only reason for buying higher priced product is driver matching (L/R drivers are very close in FR and phase response), and lower distortion. This is almost alway ignored, instead people talk ad inifinitum about sound stage, imaging which are not universally felt by everyone.

In a nutshell, buy high end headphones like HD800 or Focal's headphones if you can hear the lower distortion and driver matching. Otherwise, you are paying for something that you will never hear and won't hear in future too(we lose hearing as we age) For low cost alternatives, rtings.com is the authority. They do allow you to sort the headphones by parameters.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2754 posts
468 upvotes
BC
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:12 pm
There are plenty of low cost alternatives to HD800S, but people(audiophiles in particular) believe there must be some magic in those higher priced products. Unfortunately, there isn't any magic. It is sound signature tuning since the drivers are the same(Sennheiser reuses the drivers across product lines).

Now, sound signature can be tuned either acoustically, electronically or digitally. The easiest is digital(parametric equalizers) which Bose and other manufacturers have started doing.

The only reason for buying higher priced product is driver matching (L/R drivers are very close in FR and phase response), and lower distortion. This is almost alway ignored, instead people talk ad inifinitum about sound stage, imaging which are not universally felt by everyone.

In a nutshell, buy high end headphones like HD800 or Focal's headphones if you can hear the lower distortion and driver matching. Otherwise, you are paying for something that you will never hear and won't hear in future too(we lose hearing as we age) For low cost alternatives, rtings.com is the authority. They do allow you to sort the headphones by parameters.
Now you’re just spouting bs. Go ahead and name another headphone that uses the identical driver as an hd800s that doesn’t start with hd8xx. I’ll wait.

There is way more to headphones than just tuning a sound signature. If you can use digital eq to make a cheap pair of headphones sound exactly like the hd800s I’ll buy 3.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18785 posts
5509 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Thanks, will use this while making pizza in my $1000 breville pizza toaster oven.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7798 posts
3271 upvotes
MVRD
BinaryJay wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:44 pm
Thanks, will use this while making pizza in my $1000 breville pizza toaster oven.
There should be a "Money is no object" sub-forum on RFD.

(The new Mac Pro with three XDR displays would go there)
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2754 posts
468 upvotes
BC
chatbox wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:52 pm
There should be a "Money is no object" sub-forum on RFD.

(The new Mac Pro with three XDR displays would go there)
I mean it is called red flag deals and not broke ass deals.
Oct 12, 2008
883 posts
1471 upvotes
Markham
Ren wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:59 pm
White flag deals, when my wallet waves the white flag.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7798 posts
3271 upvotes
MVRD
Ren wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:59 pm
It won't be broke ass for those who truly see money is no object. You are still holding a perspective that people need to work for their money. There are people who have others to work to get them money.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
625 posts
1347 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:47 pm
It won't be broke ass for those who truly see money is no object. You are still holding a perspective that people need to work for their money. There are people who have others to work to get them money.
“I’ll take things that make me feel bad for $500 Alex”

I Know a few people who fall into this category, one even even keeps a 9-5 job “for fun”. Money makes money.
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
Ren wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:39 pm
Now you’re just spouting bs. Go ahead and name another headphone that uses the identical driver as an hd800s that doesn’t start with hd8xx. I’ll wait.

There is way more to headphones than just tuning a sound signature. If you can use digital eq to make a cheap pair of headphones sound exactly like the hd800s I’ll buy 3.
I gain nothing by spouting BS. From what I heard over the years, the HD700, HD800 and HD820 are same drivers.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11989 posts
2872 upvotes
Ottawa
nvm...was looking at the wrong review
Last edited by warpdrive on Jun 10th, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2272 posts
1136 upvotes
Kitchener
dgomel wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:43 am
This is a good find! I was eyeing this model for quite a while. If you are looking for high quality sound, the review below could be a little disappointing. Keep in mind.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... fier.6341/
That's interesting.

I wonder if McIntosh would be a better bet? It's been a while since I've looked at audiophile equipment, single dad, kids full-time, etc, and all,+ being over 30, your ears aren't the same.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2754 posts
468 upvotes
BC
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:33 pm
I gain nothing by spouting BS. From what I heard over the years, the HD700, HD800 and HD820 are same drivers.
The HD700 does not share the same driver.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2754 posts
468 upvotes
BC
chatbox wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:47 pm
I think you misunderstood.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2814 posts
771 upvotes
A slightly older but similar product recently discontinued by Musical Fidelity is the M1 SDAC. I got one for around $500 CAD a few years ago. Very nice unit with lots of versatility. I think I've seen new ones still being sold once in awhile at various retailers online.